Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI0027 View Post
Average IQ scores: Caucasoid(white) - 100, Hipanic/Latino - 85, African - 70. Yeah, there's diversity in those #'s too!
I don't get why you're comparing the IQ scores of Africans (whom many are impoverished, don't have access to education or proper nutrition) to Whites in the west who are generally educated and nourished?

Plus, getting good grades in school has nothing to do with intelligence but studying and regurgitating(memorization) that information on tests so I don't get the relevance it has to this thread. And do you even have a source? Or did you just read it off of Stormfront

BTW: You can log back into your main account now, it's okay

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 10-10-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 PM

6 posts, read 10,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I don't get why you're comparing the IQ scores of Africans (whom many are impoverished, don't have access to education or proper nutrition) to Whites in the west who are generally educated and nourished?

Plus, getting good grades in school has nothing to do with intelligence but studying and regurgitating(memorization) that information on tests so I don't get the relevance it has to this thread. And do you even have a source? Or did you just read it off of Stormfront

I would say those #'s are QUITE relevant to this thread.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I meant African American.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I would say those #'s are QUITE relevant to this thread.
In what ways does those numbers (that chances are you made up on the spot) have to do with this thread?

Well, since we're on the topic now, I have something that'll ruin your day

BLACK Nigerian-Americans/African immigrants are the #1 most educated group in America AND YES I HAVE SOURCES TO BACK MYSELF UP-
Data show Nigerians the most educated in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle
asian-nation.org/immigrant-stats.shtml [scroll down to the chart]

^^ Something your buddies on Stormfront won't show you.

Have a good night

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 10-10-2011 at 09:49 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
{Note: The individual whom I responded to's post was deleted. For those who may be following this, it basically was a link posted to a message board asking 'what it's like to teach black students' and most of the responses there were negative.}
A message board? That's like using Youtube comments for a College essay or Public Speech. But nonetheless, you really can't put people into a certain box based off of race:

There are many well-behaved/quiet people and many obnoxious people in EVERY race. Growing up in a diverse school district and going to a diverse college gave me this knowledge first-hand. I don't know if you came from a diverse school or not (i'm guessing not) but if you did then you would see this.

[Assuming you did go to a diverse school]; Since obnoxious people have a way of standing out and leaving a longer-lasting impression. You likely forgot all of the quiet Black people who blended into the background and remembered the few wild ones. A lot of people let time distort reality for them.

[Assuming you didn't go to a diverse school]; ALL you have to go on is the stereotypes that you 'heard' which are usually negative.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 10-10-2011 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Don't get diversity confused with integration. They aren't necessarily one and the same.
What's the difference? Integration is two races, where diversity is 3 or more?

Quote:
Average IQ scores: Caucasoid(white) - 100, Hipanic/Latino - 85, African - 70. Yeah, there's diversity in those #'s too!
First of, where's your source?

Second of all, the key word is average.

I mean, you could have an area like Wheatley Heights and northern Westbury where the Blacks are smart, and areas where the Whites aren't.

On a side note, since the IQ is supposed to compare a person to other people of their age, shouldn't at least one of those groups be higher than 100 (the average for all people of that age)? Unless Asians have an IQ of 150 or something and you're not mentioning that.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
What's the difference? Integration is two races, where diversity is 3 or more?

First of, where's your source?

Second of all, the key word is average.

I mean, you could have an area like Wheatley Heights and northern Westbury where the Blacks are smart, and areas where the Whites aren't.

On a side note, since the IQ is supposed to compare a person to other people of their age, shouldn't at least one of those groups be higher than 100 (the average for all people of that age)? Unless Asians have an IQ of 150 or something and you're not mentioning that.
I shouldn't have been so harsh, but LIP's reaction to the poster being sad about his/her old neighborhood going downhill was a bit on the smug side.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
A message board? That's like using Youtube comments for a College essay or Public Speech. But nonetheless, you really can't put people into a certain box based off of race:

There are many well-behaved/quiet people and many obnoxious people in EVERY race. Growing up in a diverse school district and going to a diverse college gave me this knowledge first-hand. I don't know if you came from a diverse school or not (i'm guessing not) but if you did then you would see this.

[Assuming you did go to a diverse school]; Since obnoxious people have a way of standing out and leaving a longer-lasting impression. You likely forgot all of the quiet Black people who blended into the background and remembered the few wild ones. A lot of people let time distort reality for them.

[Assuming you didn't go to a diverse school]; ALL you have to go on is the stereotypes that you 'heard' which are usually negative.
Actually, it was an article about a teacher's experiences working in a mostly black, inner city school. I meant to post the link, but the URL popped up instead & I deleted it.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Your guesses & assumptions are making me laugh.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I shouldn't have been so harsh, but LIP's reaction to the poster being sad about his/her old neighborhood going downhill was a bit on the smug side.
I'm sorry if I came off as rude to the Original Poster. I truly am.

But I just find it so ridiculous when people say their town is going 'downhill' just b/c they start seeing other people (who happen to have other ethnic ancestries) in their town. AND YES, I know the Original Poster never said that was the reason why NB was going downhill, but crime hasn't been noticeably going up and the School District is still performing the same so common-sense tells you that since race is the only changing variable, that could be the only reason why somebody would be lead to believe that.

But I am genuinely sorry if I came off as rude and re-reading what I wrote, I could've phrased it and handled myself a little differently (but my main points previously mentioned still stand).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island