Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 PM

92,625 posts, read 122,967,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
What's the difference? Integration is two races, where diversity is 3 or more?

First of, where's your source?

Second of all, the key word is average.

I mean, you could have an area like Wheatley Heights and northern Westbury where the Blacks are smart, and areas where the Whites aren't.

On a side note, since the IQ is supposed to compare a person to other people of their age, shouldn't at least one of those groups be higher than 100 (the average for all people of that age)? Unless Asians have an IQ of 150 or something and you're not mentioning that.
You can live in a diverse community, but those groups hardly interact. With integration, you not only have diversity, but people from those different groups actually interact with each other. Living on LI, it shouldn't be so hard to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 09:11 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,319,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI0027 View Post
Your guesses & assumptions are making me laugh.
At least I can back up my "assumptions" and "guesses".

But i'm not going to knit-pick for petty things to argue about.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,107,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can live in a diverse community, but those groups hardly interact. With integration, you not only have diversity, but people from those different groups actually interact with each other. Living on LI, it shouldn't be so hard to understand.
But I don't live on LI.

In any case, thanks for the explanation.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:58 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,731,866 times
Quote:
Don't get diversity confused with integration. They aren't necessarily one and the same.
So then every county in NY is pretty much similarly integrated. I don't see how LI is much different than NYC in this regard.

Quote:
We have integration everywhere in the country...are you saying different groups interact with each other more in NYC than on LI? How so?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,107,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
We have integration everywhere in the country...are you saying different groups interact with each other more in NYC than on LI? How so?
Two words: Public transportation.

In NYC, the subway lines pass through different neighborhoods. For instance, the (L) starts in Canarsie (mostly Black), passes through East NY (mostly Black with some Hispanics), continues through Bushwick (more Hispanics but still some Blacks), and goes through Williamsburg (mostly White) before going to Manhattan.

And at Union Square, it's one big melting pot. You have some lines that pass through more White neighborhoods, and some that pass through more Black neighborhoods, but at that station, you have people moving around the station all from different backgrounds.

Plus, the people from one area could easily end up in an area where the racial composition is different (i.e. The people from East NY can travel to Williamsburg)

On LI, when you travel, you're more likely to be in a car, or maybe on a bus with people from your mostly (insert racial group here) neighborhood, so you interact with them less.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:08 AM

629 posts, read 1,698,140 times
WOW - looks like I touched off a firestorm - not to mention my thread sort of lost it's focus.
OK - so after reading all these posts - I'll answer my own original question:

The white working-class people (many of whom were of a very fine Italian descent I might add) who have historically lived in the area and embraced the traditional cultural values this country was built on have apparently fled - creating a vacuum which has resulted in it now being populated by various minority groups (understandably bound to be majority groups some day based on their outstanding accomplishments in the area of breeding) who have brought with them their own cultural values - which personally I find offensive to my core.

OK - questioned answered - I'll take N. Babylon off my list of places worthwhile and move it over to the places not worth a crap list - or maybe I'll relabel that list to the "DIVERSE" communities list .

Last edited by SouthBound3; 10-15-2011 at 05:40 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 07:36 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,084,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
WOW - looks like I touched off a firestorm - not to mention my thread sort of lost it's focus.

The white working-class people (many of whom were of a very fine Italian descent I might add) who have historically lived in the area and embraced the traditional cultural values this country was built on have apparently fled - creating a vacuum which has resulted in it now being populated by various minority groups (understandably bound to be majority groups some day based on their outstanding accomplishments in the area of breeding) who have brought with them their own cultural values - which personally I find offensive to my core.

OK - questioned answered - I'll take N. Babylon off my list of places worthwhile and move it over to the places not worth a crap list - or maybe I'll relabel that list to the "DIVERSE" communities list .
The problem is not minorities per se, it's their culture.

The United States is, like it or not, an Anglo nation founded by Western Europeans (mainly of British or Irish descent) for Western Europeans. We need to go back to our roots. The English language, the intended concepts of the Founding Fathers, etc.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 AM

629 posts, read 1,698,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The problem is not minorities per se, it's their culture.
I agree with you 100% - I tried to imply what you are suggesting through the my use of the word "culture".

Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,319,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post

That's extremely extremely exaggerated. The population of NB is still OVERWHELMINGLY majority White/Italian, just with a few extra minorities in a few parts of the hamlet of North Babylon. There hasn't been a White Flight and I doubt there will be one since the real estate market is near-dead (and likely to remain that way for a while)and it's impossible to sell and most people are now content at having any house. Back in the 2000's and previous, many people moved and took out mortgages like Car notes.

Plus, North Babylon School District has been diverse for generations without many issues, so people from here are more racially-aware and able to tolerate each other better as opposed to somebody from homogenous parts of LI where the only info about other groups comes from Fox News and neighborhood/family gossip.

The most diverse part of NB is 74% White: the rest is over 80% White (obviously not including the section on the other side of belmont lake which is technically in West Babylon anyways). Just look at the 2010 Census;
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Let's be sensible and not let propaganda get the best of us.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 10-15-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 09:37 AM

426 posts, read 957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgedPolaris View Post
My street became a whole lot more "diverse" in the past three years, mainly due to a wealthy guy snatching up a few of the foreclosed split-level homes, and I guess renting them out sloppily. Put it this way, all the sudden a lot of unique cars/trucks with out of state plates began popping up, and I figure in some of these places, there's a different person in each bedroom.

Quiet evenings outside with a glass of red are now classed up with a fine chap two doors down blasting reggaeton out of his lowered late-80s Mitsu truck with North Carolina plates.

Embrace diversity.

The bolded had me laughing on the floor.....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island