Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times

Advertisements

Village, residents discuss future of upper Port

My friend (now living out west) lived in PJV in an older home near CVS. She would find 'stray' men (Hope House?) wandering the street, wandering through her and her neighbors yards, and on occasion one had let himself onto her porch to sleep.

SCPD has gang unit teams on patrol in Port Jeff

Not for nothing, the Trinitarios are growing in numbers in PJS -- just a few paces from PJV.

It has gotten worse since she left 4 years ago, not better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
Aquaintances in PJ tell me the school is declining. It will get worse as LIPA taxes decrease.
MP the school is ok, not great, but the school is in need of funds and I've been told the new 2% tax cap is going to really hurt them.
Mt. Sinai school district is moving up and can hold out for another 2 years till the teacher's contract is up and renegotiated. I vote Mt Sinai, but then again, I live here.
I think MPSD is a little better than just "ok" plus I think it has vastly better housing stock in terms of charm. The majority of non McMansion Mt Sinai is loaded with really dated 70s slab homes and column laden micro colonials and is very Coramesqe to the South. I love Mt Sinai north though.Pipe Stave, Cedar beach area etc. is gorgeous but I suspect since OP is looking at Harbor Hills PJ that their budget wouldnt put them there.

If I were to rank the local SDs(beyond Newsday rankings) in terms of attractiveness for the area I would think it would look something like.
3V/MS/PJ/MP/SWR/RP/CSD/MidCo/Lwood/Riverhead.(all budget drama aside)

You can do VERY well in MP/RP/SWR SDs in the Mid 3s. Good values to be had ...but I would definitely go with MS over PJ.

Crooks

Old 10-14-2011, 07:05 AM

342 posts, read 1,094,095 times
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, Crooks. My issue with all the local school districts is that they compare themselves to themselves, and find themselves a shining example of education. Look beyond the island, and start comparing them nationally, they lose a little luster; hence the OK. Again, I think most of the schools are ok, not great. Comparing just the local communities, then I agree with your list with the caveat that each district has strengths and weaknesses, so any one particular kid or family might be better in one district over another. It is very individual.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
BBPT although beautiful (and with excellent schools) is probably the worst bang for the buck in Brookhaven.

Wildly over priced due to the downtow of it's surrounds.
I'd rather be on the fringe of Port Jeff than Patchogue.

If you're coming to exit 63 MP is tough to beat in terms of value.
Mt Sinai would be my second pick but, like Blue Point its still wildly overpriced for Brookhaven.

My Exit 62 pick would be Stony Brook.
Agree with Stony Brook - but considering Blue point the worst buy for the buck in Brookhaven is just so far off Crooks. Look at house prices/taxes in say... Manorville and tell me which is the better buy. I just think Blue Point has a lot more to offer than some of the other towns in its league- with the easy access to major roads/proximity to Patchogue, Sayville etc

Old 10-14-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, Crooks. My issue with all the local school districts is that they compare themselves to themselves, and find themselves a shining example of education. Look beyond the island, and start comparing them nationally, they lose a little luster; hence the OK. Again, I think most of the schools are ok, not great. Comparing just the local communities, then I agree with your list with the caveat that each district has strengths and weaknesses, so any one particular kid or family might be better in one district over another. It is very individual.
Nothing ruffled at all, I actually agree with you.

My point is that if MP is just OK... then the same would hold true for Mt Sinai.

For the area, they are both quite good.

Crooks

Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Agree with Stony Brook - but considering Blue point the worst buy for the buck in Brookhaven is just so far off Crooks. Look at house prices/taxes in say... Manorville and tell me which is the better buy. I just think Blue Point has a lot more to offer than some of the other towns in its league- with the easy access to major roads/proximity to Patchogue, Sayville etc

Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Acre zoning? Good schools. New too.
IMO Manorville is a much better value than Blue Point.

I think both are great towns. Blue Point is just oddly pricey and low on the value scale. I suspect if Pat Med schools werent awful it would be much closer to reality.

As much as I love Flos and Corey beach..Im sorry, I dont see it.

Crooks

Old 10-14-2011, 10:14 PM

66 posts, read 151,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Village, residents discuss future of upper Port

My friend (now living out west) lived in PJV in an older home near CVS. She would find 'stray' men (Hope House?) wandering the street, wandering through her and her neighbors yards, and on occasion one had let himself onto her porch to sleep.

SCPD has gang unit teams on patrol in Port Jeff

Not for nothing, the Trinitarios are growing in numbers in PJS -- just a few paces from PJV.

It has gotten worse since she left 4 years ago, not better.
According to:
Long Island Crime & Police Reports - Newsday.com
Brentwood had 991 incidents this year
Bay Shore: 630
Central Islip: 559
Huntington Sta: 535
Shirley: 502
Deer Park:483
Coram: 467
Commack: 464
Wyandanch: 395
Medford: 387
Mastic Beach: 361
Port Jeff Station+Terryville: 339
Port Jeff: 132

Last edited by Whitney8; 10-14-2011 at 10:24 PM..

Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney8 View Post
According to:
Central Islip: 398

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah.

Village PDs arent too pro on reporting to the SCPD.Weve already discounted that study as BS years ago.You can see the glaring omissions around all of the village PDs.

I would think it to be in the middle of the pack, which is a bit high for a community that has money.

Keep in mind all the crap at the rail is Port Jeff Village/Comesewogue schools.

Crooks

Old 10-15-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney8 View Post
According to:
Central Islip: 559
And how much bigger are those areas compared to wee PJV?

Brentwood is 10 sm, Medford, too.

PJS and Terryville are added together -- why? Even added together they aren't as large as the other two.

Considering PJV and PJS share a seedy common boundary, and in fairness to compare them equally on a size scale, what if we merged PJV with PJS and Terryville? Then it would be about the same size as the other areas you've listed. And interestingly enough, the crime figure becomes right in line with those other areas. The average is one crime per 54 people in Brentwood and one crime per 53 people in PJV/PJS/Terryville.

And as Crooks has noted, PJV constables are not forthcoming in their crime reports and the Village officials determined to keep it that way.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 AM

Whitney tried to be clever lumping PJS and Terryville together. Using the link s/he provided, I learned that SCPD does not lump them together. I also learned the following statistics for the period dating 10/15/10-10/15/11:

Crimes

PJV -136
PJS -67
Terryville -272

Doesn't that mean that PJV had double the crimes of PJS? I guess by lumping PJS with Terryville, Whitney was trying to bamboozle us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island