Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:11 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There are under 900 households in Gordon Heights. A fair number are Section 8, or sex offender housing, or some other subsidized housing. Looking at the figures on a link (I believe) Pequa provided, households where income was pushing 6 figures were in much more palatable places to live.

If your household income were $200,000.00, would you choose to live in Gordon Heights or would you opt to live amongst your socio-economic peers?
I wouldn't choose to live in Gordon Heights if I had that type of income, but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. Keep in mind we are only talking about 4% of Gordon Heights with that type of income, meanwhile LI as a whole is about 12%, so it is significantly less in that income range than the rest of LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 04:12 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not sure if I would say $125,000 is upper middle class on LI, especially for a family, but it certainly starts quite a bit below the $250,000 mark. I would say $150,000 or so is probably a truer barometer of where the middle class/ upper middle class line is.
I guess it all depends what point in the persons life they are at. If someone makes $125k straight out of college, saves up a nice $150k-$250k nest egg over the years, has no debt and car payed off, they could certainly live that lifestyle. But I agree, for a family, a large one especially, $150k sounds about right as a starting point.

Quote:
Reread the post you replied to -- I have a 19 year-old who is one of the 3 drivers. He's in the assigned risk by virtue of his age, which in turn drives up our premium. He's about $3K of that $4400. Also, I have a PUP, which means I have to have (forgetting the term) higher limits on certain parts of the policy to maintain the PUP.
That's a high premium. What would happen if you leave the 19-year old off the policy for now until they are off assigned risk? And if any minor claims arise, you take the blame?

Quote:
Rental in Mineola starts around $1650. = $19,200 per year.

We have the Smiths, a young couple with one child and no car. They gross $92,221, married filing jointly they clear around $69,165. The Smiths rent a small garden apartment -$19,200. They work in NYC - LIRR monthly RT between Penn and Mineola X2 = $5,352. They pay for daycare @ 1200/month = $14,400

So far that's $38,952 without figuring in food, utilities, clothing, medical expenses, renters insurance, transportation expenses outside the monthly pass (Bus? Subway? Cabs?), student loans, any other debt they're carrying, dry cleaning, laundromat, etc.
If they're earning only $35k net each, I'd nix NYC and look for a job in Nassau that could easily pay that much. Or have the higher earner stay in the city while the lower earner of the two stay at home and find another job locally; maybe part time while watching the toddler during the day. The daycare cost is partially tax deductible and they will get back credit for the child, which should help them out around tax time.. but they would be working class/working poor if that situation were left like that --regardless of education imo.

Last edited by Pequaman; 10-21-2011 at 04:22 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 04:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I guess it all depends what point in the persons life they are at. If someone makes $125k straight out of college, saves up a nice $150k-$250k nest egg over the years, has no debt and car payed off, they could certainly live that lifestyle. But I agree, for a family, a large one especially, $150k sounds about right as a starting point.

That's a high premium. What would happen if you leave the 19-year old off the policy for now until they are off assigned risk? And if any minor claims arise, you take the blame?

If they're earning only $35k net each, I'd nix NYC and look for a job in Nassau that could easily pay that much. Or have the higher earner stay in the city while the lower earner of the two stay at home and find another job locally; maybe part time while watching the toddler during the day. The daycare cost is tax deductible up to 35% and they will get back credit for the child, which should help them out around tax time.. but they would be working class/working poor if that situation were left like that --regardless of education imo.
You don't get off assigned risk until you have a certain number of years of experience as a licensed driver. It doesn't go by age. Some people don't learn to drive until well after they are teenagers. No matter how old they are, they start off in assigned risk.

The only way to take 19 YO off the policy is to have him buy his own car and get his own insurance in his name (VERY expensive at that age and being a driver in assigned risk no matter if it's a hooptie), throw him out of the house permanently OR have him actually turn in his license (or learners' permit) to NYS DMV. I don't think OBH would be that mean to her kid to save a few bucks!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1122 View Post
My 16 year old daughter is on mine and I'm still nowhere near your numbers and I have 3 cars. It's most likely the pup, but I would shop around.

See now you can inch closer to upper middle class lol.
It depends on the TYPE of cars also. My mom used to always have expensive sports cars for herself and EVERYTHING was out of this world on them ... tires, etc. ... way above the price for a "normal" car ... even though in the end, it's just a tire made of rubber like all other tires are! I still remember the complaining. So of course the insurance was much higher too!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You don't get off assigned risk until you have a certain number of years of experience as a licensed driver. It doesn't go by age. Some people don't learn to drive until well after they are teenagers. No matter how old they are, they start off in assigned risk.

The only way to take 19 YO off the policy is to throw him out of the house permanently OR have him actually turn in his license (or learners' permit) to NYS DMV. I don't think OBH would be that mean to her kid to save a few bucks!
If the driver hits a certain age, I thought that lowers the "risk" (25-27?).

Old 10-21-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
If the driver hits a certain age, I thought that lowers the "risk" (25-27?).
If you have some experience as a driver, yes.

If you are brand new to driving, you have to wait longer for them to assess you as a lower risk.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:31 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
$250,000 and up.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:30 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Why are you citing figures for NYC? It's a different animal -- taxing is done differently. School taxes in NYC are much cheaper than on LI.

You mentioned Mineola and Hicksville, so let's get back to LI -- or at least Nassau.

Nassau County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Per capita money income in past 12 months (2009 dollars) 2005-2009 $40,515
Median household income, 2009 $92,221

From the looks of the figures it appears that these are two income families.

From the link you were kind enough to provide:
According to the Guideline -- poverty level for a family of 3: $18,530

Rental in Mineola starts around $1650. = $19,200 per year.

We have the Smiths, a young couple with one child and no car. They gross $92,221, married filing jointly they clear around $69,165. The Smiths rent a small garden apartment -$19,200. They work in NYC - LIRR monthly RT between Penn and Mineola X2 = $5,352. They pay for daycare @ 1200/month = $14,400

So far that's $38,952 without figuring in food, utilities, clothing, medical expenses, renters insurance, transportation expenses outside the monthly pass (Bus? Subway? Cabs?), student loans, any other debt they're carrying, dry cleaning, laundromat, etc.

When all is said and done, they are not living what most people would consider to be an upper middle class life style (topic of thread) despite having the education which define them as such.

Going back to Gordon Heights -- it is largely a poor, minority area. It is highly unlikely ANYONE there is earning anything in the six figures.
In the second post, I mentioned that the cost of living in Nassau is slightly less than that of Queens (e.g. $50,000 in Houston = $86,000 in Queens = $83,000 in Nassau).

But you have a point that they might've put the wrong numbers into their calculations. Food is probably more or less the same all over the country, but taxes are much higher in LI.

Out here in SI, a lot of houses are built with apartments on the side so that the homeowner has an extra source of income to pay the mortgage. Wouldn't the rent be cheaper in one of those than a garden apartment?

But as far as the topic of the thread goes, it asks what is upper middle class in LI, and by definition, that would mean that you're making more than the median income on LI, not what kind of lifestyle you live.

As for Gordon Heights, it's possible if you have 3 or 4 income earners in the same household.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

The only way to take 19 YO off the policy is to have him buy his own car and get his own insurance in his name (VERY expensive at that age and being a driver in assigned risk no matter if it's a hooptie), throw him out of the house permanently OR have him actually turn in his license (or learners' permit) to NYS DMV. I don't think OBH would be that mean to her kid to save a few bucks!
Damn. I was planning on holding off learning how to drive, but I might reconsider it now.

The thing is that there are too many restrictions for a 16-year old, and I figured I wouldn't have those when I turn 18 (I can drive in Westchester and LI, but I can't drive within the 5 boroughs, which doesn't do any good because I live in NYC).

But one question: If I get my license at say, 19 and don't decide to get a car until I'm 30, does that mean I have 11 years of driving experience when I calculate my insurance premium?

Old 10-22-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Damn. I was planning on holding off learning how to drive, but I might reconsider it now.

The thing is that there are too many restrictions for a 16-year old, and I figured I wouldn't have those when I turn 18 (I can drive in Westchester and LI, but I can't drive within the 5 boroughs, which doesn't do any good because I live in NYC).

But one question: If I get my license at say, 19 and don't decide to get a car until I'm 30, does that mean I have 11 years of driving experience when I calculate my insurance premium?
That's what I don't get. I think it goes by how long you've had your license and the driver's age/sex/marital status, not how long someone has been listed as a driver on a policy...I could be wrong though, but I know for a fact that many people did this around when I first started driving. Maybe things have changed, IDK. In OBH's case, if she keeps the 19-yr old off the policy until he/she gets older, then they can afford their own insurance at normal rates when they hit mid-20s. It's not a couple bucks, it's thousands of dollars a year in savings.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
In the second post, I mentioned that the cost of living in Nassau is slightly less than that of Queens (e.g. $50,000 in Houston = $86,000 in Queens = $83,000 in Nassau).

But you have a point that they might've put the wrong numbers into their calculations. Food is probably more or less the same all over the country, but taxes are much higher in LI.

Out here in SI, a lot of houses are built with apartments on the side so that the homeowner has an extra source of income to pay the mortgage. Wouldn't the rent be cheaper in one of those than a garden apartment?

But as far as the topic of the thread goes, it asks what is upper middle class in LI, and by definition, that would mean that you're making more than the median income on LI, not what kind of lifestyle you live.

As for Gordon Heights, it's possible if you have 3 or 4 income earners in the same household.

Twingles would know better than me since she is/was in the insurance industry.

However, I will recount a personal experience of a former coworker. She had been listed as a driver for at least 15 years on her husband's car insurance policy. She had a fight with him over the insurance and decided she wanted her own car insurance policy. All she could get was assigned risk, with the reasoning being that "she had no experience having her OWN insurance policy as a rated driver." In Brooklyn, for her particular car, that came out to $6,000 a year for her as a new policyholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island