Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
In my opinion yes it a huge problem to me if a place is overrun with foreigners and I wouldn't live in the area if someone gave me a mansion.
Well, in attempts to help the economy and the housing market, foreign capital is one option - currently about 10% of Manhattan's expensive housing and the Hampton's million $ real estate is being purchased by foreigners. Mostly Europeans in the Hamptons, lots of Asians - Manhattan and elsewhere.
Sales in the Hamptons for houses >$5mil have increased substantially compared to last year (in complete discord with other housing).

Senator Schumer is proposing a bill to give an instant green card to any foreigner who buys a $500k house (or 2 x $250k houses).

In desperate economy - money is money. But is never too comfortable when foreigners buyout...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 03:30 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,022 times
Quote:
In my opinion yes it a huge problem to me if a place is overrun with foreigners and I wouldn't live in the area if someone gave me a mansion.
Hey Arch, did you ever hear of the term "Ugly American"?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Hey Arch, did you ever hear of the term "Ugly American"?
The term "Ugly American" derives from the book of the same title, and refers to the arrogant behavior of Americans living abroad.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,751,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Well, in attempts to help the economy and the housing market, foreign capital is one option - currently about 10% of Manhattan's expensive housing and the Hampton's million $ real estate is being purchased by foreigners. Mostly Europeans in the Hamptons, lots of Asians - Manhattan and elsewhere.
Sales in the Hamptons for houses >$5mil have increased substantially compared to last year (in complete discord with other housing).

Senator Schumer is proposing a bill to give an instant green card to any foreigner who buys a $500k house (or 2 x $250k houses).

In desperate economy - money is money. But is never too comfortable when foreigners buyout...

Thanks for the info?

And 10% is diddly squat.

I understand where you are coming from, however.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
Quote:
Well that's your loss then.

I'm a foreigner and I don't think your quality of life would suffer if you were around people like me and my family members. Remember that there are foreigners that contribute positively to America and those that contribute negatively, the same way that there are Americans who contribute positively and negatively to their country.

Quote:
Thanks for the info?

And 10% is diddly squat.

I understand where you are coming from, however.
You're right, considering that 37% of NYC's population is foreign-born. That means that they're underrepresented as far as buying expensive homes goes.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post

LOL Only in America What a Bunch of Crap.: Hop The Fence and get a Green card! Place is a Joke!

Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,131 times
Lol, so this discussion is now about foreigners huh ? If you ask me more than 50% of americans cannot hold a candle to the work ethics of incoming legal immigrants. If you are one of the bottom 50% then be happy that the talented top 50% above you are carrying you.... you think that your standard of living is good.... the only reason you are given welfare and/or food stamps etc is so that you do not physically revolt against them (yeah the HAVE's) so that they can make the real money and live the life.... keep dreaming, just open a bud and keep watching sports on tv and collect the unemployment checks, your life is pretty good given the size of your brain.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:35 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,751,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Lol, so this discussion is now about foreigners huh ? If you ask me more than 50% of americans cannot hold a candle to the work ethics of incoming legal immigrants. If you are one of the bottom 50% then be happy that the talented top 50% above you are carrying you.... you think that your standard of living is good.... the only reason you are given welfare and/or food stamps etc is so that you do not physically revolt against them (yeah the HAVE's) so that they can make the real money and live the life.... keep dreaming, just open a bud and keep watching sports on tv and collect the unemployment checks, your life is pretty good given the size of your brain.
lol you dont sound dumb making all these assumptions or anything.

I get up and drive 30 miles to work every day of my life. 9-5. I'm your average, middle class hard working american. Not a leech. What are you even talking about i couldnt even comprehend half of your post it was so asinine.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:56 AM

149 posts, read 360,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBS19 View Post
For somebody who just relocated to Long Island and does this commute everyday (and works a very reasonable, walkable distance from Penn so inter-city commuting is not an issue), I find this to be highly inaccurate at best, and misleading at worst if its the crux of a point you're trying to make.

I take an express train in the AM that has only 2 stop between Ronk and Penn. I have a 10 minute drive to the station. I leave my house at about 6:55, 7:00 and arrive in my office (again, not more than a 7-10 minute walk from Penn) by about 8:45 on most days. Thats with the super express.

Unfortunately, I do not have a 9-5 type job and often do not make the express trains at night that cut off by about 6. My train of choice varies by day, but for discussion purposes, I'll use the 7:11 train as an example since I've taken that one a good amount. I'll leave my office around, 6:50 with the hope that I get there in time to beat the still mad-rush for a seat and not have to stand the whole way home. I'll pull into Ronk between 8:30 and 8:40 and by the time I get to my car and drive home, I'm in the door just before 9.

Hardly "just over an hour" in either direction. I spend 4 hours a day commuting, everyday. Its a choice I've made (for now) because family has luckily allowed us to live with them as we save and its easier for my wife, who has the burden of getting our son to and from preschool as well as her job. But its not easy, or no big deal, as the OP seems to imply it is.

See, this is exactly my point and what I made this thread for. Who in their right mind measures down to the last minute and second going places? People who live in the northern suburbs and NJ suburbs of NYC never seem to have this same feeling of being "way out there" even if the distance to the NYC border is the same. When someone asks me how long it will take to get into Manhattan I will tell them around an hour. I would never say, well I'm catching the next train which leaves at 7 AM and arrives at 8:12 AM, then I have to walk out of Penn which takes 5 minutes, then I have to open the door which takes another 30 seconds, then I have to take the elevator which takes 10 minutes, then I have to skateboard to my office and once I finally open the door it's like 9 AM! Why are you nitpicking? This is exactly why I made this thread.

People act like Manhattan is this distant land only heard of in mythology even though it's 50 miles away from Ronk or about 30 miles from the Queens border. If you can't travel around 1 hour on a train then you are just impatient and don't understand public transportation and how slow it is. Also, Brentwood is 25 miles from the NYC border. Yeah soooooo far. If you think 25 miles is far then you have issues. I feel like if people come from any other NYC suburb other than LI, you will hear people round the time it takes to travel to the closest hour or give time brackets instead of counting every little step. You can make any area seem far enough if you count every little minute it takes down to how long it takes you to tie your shoes when you step off the train. It just shocks me. I took an express train from Penn to Ronk. Want to know how long it took to get into Ronk? 1 hour 4 minutes. Basically an hour on the dot. That is nothing considering you're commuting to the biggest city in the US. Yes there are huge cultural differences between LI and NYC, but a lot of us are the same people. People in NYC are from LI and people from LI are in NYC many times. All of us can trace our roots back to the city not too long ago.

I always saw LI as NYC's little brother not the 5th cousin twice removed like people make it seem on here. Some people even call it the 6th borough as we are right next door geographically. In fact, Nassau used to be NYC. Nassau is just as urbanized if not more in many places than Staten Island. Why do people make it seem like it's sooooooooo far away I just don't get it for the life of me. Ronkonkoma is certainly not rock throwing distance from NYC, but it's still close enough that I see many business vans and trucks with 718, 212, and 646 area codes routinely. Hell, I have even seen NYC cabs more often than you would think between exits 52-57 on the LIE. I have also seen plenty on Southern State right when I got on. Our popular radio stations we commonly use are mostly NYC stations. Same with TV. I see my neighbors have business vans from Long Island City where they work. Plenty of NYPD and FDNY members out here as well. There are NYPD and FDNY memorial signs for the locals who died in 9/11. You get the sense that you aren't that far from NYC if you live here long enough. I still see some license plate holders that show the car was bought in a Queens dealership every once in a while. There is a lot of crossover between NYC and LI even in the Central Suffolk area. Many vans that offer services in NYC also have Nassau and Suffolk numbers because they also do their business out here. If we are so far away, why is that? If I never lived in NY state and was from Oregon and was suddenly dropped in the Ronkonkoma area, I can guarantee you I would know I was in the outskirts of NYC. All the road signs saying "NEW YORK 495", or Sunrise. Seeing the addresses of the trucks would reveal plenty of city area codes. Seeing the big WTC poster on exit 57 of the LIE. A NYC cab is even quite possible to spot within 20 minutes of driving or closer on occasion. Also, people say the Hudson Valley is the sticks...because it IS. I know the Poughkeepsie area well and while Poughkeepsie is a pretty urban city overall, the drive up there is like driving through rural PA. Many surrounding areas around Poughkeepsie and even south of it are very rural. Ronkonkoma is strictly suburban. You probably won't even see a legitimate farm until you drive about 45 minutes east of Ronkonkoma. I don't care about everyone saying even Levittown back in the day was like farms. It's 2011 and Ronkonkoma is not right next door to NYC, but it's close enough to easily get there and come back later to a yard and a spacious home.

You just wait, in another 50-100 years there will be some kind of monorail or much faster train for the LIRR that will get into Penn. in a half hour from Ronkonkoma. It's actually possible for the LIRR to make it to Penn in 45 minutes if they really wanted to, but the tracks are old and it would have to approach 100 MPH which it's definitely capable of but they have safety rules so the trains never average more than about 45 MPH. I will never understand why people on LI measure the commute down to the second and count taking subways, elevators, walking, etc. If you aren't working in the city and someone from Texas simply comes up to me and asks how far from Manhattan I live, I tell him about an hour. Yes it's a different world, but like it or not, we are the suburbs of NYC and they are our neighbors.

Last edited by LINY89; 10-30-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
In fact, Nassau used to be NYC.
While Nassau County was part of Queens County, Nassau County was never part of New York City.

On January 1, 1898., the western-quarter of Queens County (the City of Long Island City, the Towns of Newtown, Flushing and Jamaica and the Rockaway peninsula of the Town of Hempstead) are annexed by the new New York City. The eastern three-quarters (the Towns of North Hempstead, Hempstead and Oyster Bay) remained part of Queens County, but is not part of New York City.

Thus, for one year, part of Queens County, the smaller part, is in New York City and part, the larger part, is not in New York City.

Then on January 1, 1899, the eastern three-quarters of Queens County (the Towns of North Hempstead, Hempstead and Oyster Bay) seceded from and became independent of Queens County and formed Nassau County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island