Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 12,811 times

Advertisements

OK, this isn't an LI story, it's an LA story ... I saw a Porsche cut off a motorcycle in stop-and-go traffic on a highway. The motorcycle rider was not very happy. Last I saw them, they were weaving out of traffic, next to each other (sharing the same lane), and the motorcycle rider was kicking the heck out of the Porsche. Kicked its side mirror off, among other things. The Porsche was desperately trying to get away. Crazy.
I don't always succeed, but I really try not to react in traffic. I flipped someone off once when I was a young hotheaded driver and they followed me around for five minutes until they figured out I was driving to a police station. That really made an impression on me ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 04:27 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
People who "let it go" or "be the bigger man" probably just say that because they drive like grandmas

My "grandma" lived a long time!

So, who's the "big man?" The guy who takes chances behind the wheel? yeah, that's a real man

Old 10-27-2011, 07:37 AM

200 posts, read 456,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
If some one passes you, that is not cut off, as is what you just explained. . . .

Cut off is when you are say doing 65 in the left lane and the asshat you're approaching in the middle lane who are driving at 50mph decide that as you are within 50' to 30' of them that signal or not F you they are cutting in front of you CUTTING you off..

When cut off you need to use your brakes. . . hence cut off

You described passing. . . .

Cut off is also when stuck in traffic and some asshat decides to come up the break down/shoulder lane and stuff her car in front of your 5' following distance, again causing you to stop. . . .

Well cut off to me doesn't necessarily have to be with the other person using brakes....cut off to me means the person gets infront of me when he/she REALLY shouldn't.

either on 2 lanes where he/she goes from right to left to get infront of me, or left to right to get infront of me, OR on a single lane, where he/she wants to get on the road to get infront of me at a very close range.

most of the times when these instances occurs they realize they shouldn'tve gotten infront of me so they usually go fast, but occasionally they go slow because they are either 1. rude or 2. just didn't realize they just got infront of someone when they really should've waited.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
Cut off is when you're forced to slow for there stupidity and lack of knowing how to drive or when and how to enter, otherwise a car passed you or got in front of you causing you to continue your operation.... The other would be when in a steady flow and they move into the 18' of following distance you had between the car in front..
Can't just use cut off when you aren't being cut off...

Old 10-27-2011, 08:12 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Cut off is when you're forced to slow for there stupidity and lack of knowing how to drive or when and how to enter, otherwise a car passed you or got in front of you causing you to continue your operation.... The other would be when in a steady flow and they move into the 18' of following distance you had between the car in front..
Can't just use cut off when you aren't being cut off...
At what speed would 18' be a safe following distance?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Backed up in gridlocked traffic, and after waiting 45 minutes some $%^%$^ drives down the shoulder and thinks they are going to cut in right in front of you. How do you handle this?

This happened to me last night while waiting to get on the GW bridge. Some jerk tried to cut over from the EZ Pass line at the last minute while the rest of us were waiting for close to 30 minutes. There never seems to be any cops around, and they never seem to be held accountable. I always play a game of chicken which always ends with me having to pull away at the last minute because I don't want to go through the hassle of banging up my vehicle, but I am sure the trash in the other car could care less.
This is the ONE thing I miss least about NYC. I am glad to see this in writing because, for years, I wondered whether I was the only one who ascribed this to tri-state drivers (though CT people tend to be less aggressive than NY or NJ drivers). This kind of behavior - much to my amazement - simply doesn't exist in Boston. And they talk about M******* drivers. Sheesh!

Life is too short; do you feel a lot better getting to NJ (or the other way around) with heartburn and rage?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:26 PM

294 posts, read 743,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inception937 View Post
that is crazy. did the guy in the car get out and fight the guy who threw the concrete block? what happened?
No! He just sort of cowered and remained in his car. The concrete-heaver stormed back to his car. Too bad it was before the days of cell-phone cameras...

Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLeap View Post
OK, this isn't an LI story, it's an LA story ... I saw a Porsche cut off a motorcycle in stop-and-go traffic on a highway. The motorcycle rider was not very happy. Last I saw them, they were weaving out of traffic, next to each other (sharing the same lane), and the motorcycle rider was kicking the heck out of the Porsche. Kicked its side mirror off, among other things. The Porsche was desperately trying to get away. Crazy.
I don't always succeed, but I really try not to react in traffic. I flipped someone off once when I was a young hotheaded driver and they followed me around for five minutes until they figured out I was driving to a police station. That really made an impression on me ...
I saw something like this on the Southern State (complete with kicking). The motorcycle rider could have been killed and I went around that MESS carefully. The car started it though.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
That must be Lima Driving Lesson #5,402.
He must be a cab driver. He knows all the tricks.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
He must be a cab driver. He knows all the tricks.
Like where to buy those beaded seats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island