Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Your extensive list covers about 5% of why most people spend more than they make. But something tells me that you wouldn't want to hear it either way. I'll spare the "Harvard link" since your guys anecdotes outweight any real evidence.

Aren't you the one with the taxpayer subsidized early retirement? It's kind of comical for you to be criticizing someone who might be stuggling to get by here.

Hey DocheMan where am I criticizing anyone. I'm just giving examples of how people sometimes spend more than they should/afford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:56 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Educate us dman about the other 95% of the reasons people overspend. Please..oh please..the harvard link..the harvard link
Cost of necessities more than they take in

No link needed, even you can read and understand it.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
You obviously never looked up the definition of necessity.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Hey DocheMan where am I criticizing anyone. I'm just giving examples of how people sometimes spend more than they should/afford
Empirical, and my own anecdotal evidence, says that you list does not touch on why people are in debt and struggling. You can keep on with the "everyone wants bling" nonsense, but it's not reality. 2 families I know on LI who are in the most dire straights are there because of job losses, or extreme drops in income, and family medical issues..it has nothing to do with "keeping up with the Joneses" or wanting ot party like a rock star. A kid gets pneumonia, parent loses income, medical bills beyond what insurance covers, etc. Yeah, they bought a $400 Vizio TV the year before the kid got sick. So?

But plug away with how wise you were and how dumb they are. The arrogance is pitiful.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
You obviously never looked up the definition of necessity.
I'm sure this debate will go beautifully with your tough guy surival of the fittest d-baggery.

Don't you have imaginary empolyees to fire?

Last edited by dman72; 10-26-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Empirical, and my own anecdotal evidence, says that you list does not touch on why people are in debt and struggling. You can keep on with the "everyone wants bling" nonsense, but it's not reality. 2 families I know on LI who are in the most dire straights are there because of job losses, or extreme drops in income, and family medical issues..it has nothing to do with "keeping up with the Joneses" or wanting ot party like a rock star. A kid gets pneumonia, parent loses income, medical bills beyond what insurance covers, etc. Yeah, they bought a $400 Vizio TV the year before the kid got sick. So?

But plug away with how wise you were and how dumb they are. The arrogance is pitiful.

For every 1 you know I know 100 in the same situation due to over spending on wants not needs. That's why I said this tool:

Quote:

With that being said.... everybody's situation is unique So only you could answer the question of how much is enough to live on There is nothing wrong with living within your means.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Prove self worth – You're nothing if you don't have or do the above mentioned. Definitely more prevalent on the L.I. then most places.
some of you people need to travel more often....

Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
For every 1 you know I know 100 in the same situation due to over spending on wants not needs. That's why I said this tool:

Medical Bills Cause Most Bankruptcies - NYTimes.com

I'll take real evidence over ham-fisted anecdotes for $500, Alex.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
some of you people need to travel more often....
My old friend Stuck in Baldwin

You think I'm wrong for saying N.Y'ers have to prove their self worth more than other people around the country

NYC and the surrounding area are all about being Brash and flash. no?

Isn't working in the City about making the 'big' money. Isn't everything bigger and better and more expensive . And they have the toys to prove it and nowhere is that more true then on L.I.

Maybe instead of traveling more, one should open one's eyes

Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
My old friend Stuck in Baldwin

You think I'm wrong for saying N.Y'ers have to prove their self worth more than other people around the country

NYC and the surrounding area are all about being Brash and flash. no?

Isn't working in the City about making the 'big' money. Isn't everything bigger and better and more expensive . And they have the toys to prove it and nowhere is that more true then on L.I.

Maybe instead of traveling more, one should open one's eyes
Wow, jumped off the anecdotal (hyperbolic) deep end with that one. Gas for the car or karate lessons are my concerns. Not sure about that other imaginary nonsense you conjure up. Most people I know working in the city do it because they got a job there.

Funny that on this thread the majority think people in Long Island can only be in financial difficulty due to their exorbitant lifestyles. It couldn't be because they need oil, gas, need 2 cars, want to eat human food and pay $11k taxes on a Levitt cape.

This thread has gone silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island