Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times

Advertisements

Wonder how many conductors i will recognize when those union sheeple make the perp walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 01:50 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Default "We won't get caught!!"

Another example of greed, and abuse of power. The ego trips these folks up. They don't realize a little thing about luck. It, like time, runs out. And that lady fainted from shock in the courtroom...yeah OK. Oscar anyone?

Hope they can trade the cash for the new currency in the "Hotel" they will be staying at. 2 packs of smokes for a shoe shine!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:53 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times
Im actually not seeing fault on the LIRR for this one. In doing some research, I found the disability claims are completely disconnected from the MTA & LIRR. An employee would retire from a railroad after whatever their pension policy is (20 yrs 30yrs age etc) THEN they apply for a railroad disability from the RRB saying that the reason they didnt work to 65 was because of the disability And the RRB approves or denies the disability.
The disability funds are employee paid (Not just LIRR, all railroads) In place of social security the employing railroad and employee wil pay each a 12% payroll tax (same as ss) This is for general benefits (similar to SS) Additionally the railroad EMPLOYEE will pay an additional tax for an unemployment, disability insurance, should they lose their job, or unable to perform their function they can apply to that.
They are not cheating the LIRR, its seems they are cheating a fund made for and paid into by railroad workers across the country.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:55 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Im actually not seeing fault on the LIRR for this one. In doing some research, I found the disability claims are completely disconnected from the MTA & LIRR. An employee would retire from a railroad after whatever their pension policy is (20 yrs 30yrs age etc) THEN they apply for a railroad disability from the RRB saying that the reason they didnt work to 65 was because of the disability And the RRB approves or denies the disability.
The disability funds are employee paid (Not just LIRR, all railroads) In place of social security the employing railroad and employee wil pay each a 12% payroll tax (same as ss) This is for general benefits (similar to SS) Additionally the railroad EMPLOYEE will pay an additional tax for an unemployment, disability insurance, should they lose their job, or unable to perform their function they can apply to that.
They are not cheating the LIRR, its seems they are cheating a fund made for and paid into by railroad workers across the country.

Yikes! And raiding funds put there by hard working folks who don't break the law. More reason for a fitting punishment. It almost makes this worse....

Old 10-30-2011, 06:53 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Do you honestly think that they pay 12% of salary pays for benefits and disability retirements like this, AND the sytem planned was employee only funded to support this type of abuse?

There were 869 disability retirements between the ages of 50 -55 or all in that age group, where do you think the funding came from, their payroll deductions? It came from increased LIRR ticket costs and NY State tax increases.

By the way, as far as I know MTA, LIRR pay social security tax, medicare please tell me what comprises the 12 % payroll tax?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you honestly think that they pay 12% of salary pays for benefits and disability retirements like this, AND the sytem planned was employee only funded to support this type of abuse?

There were 869 disability retirements between the ages of 50 -55 or all in that age group, where do you think the funding came from, their payroll deductions? It came from increased LIRR ticket costs and NY State tax increases.

By the way, as far as I know MTA, LIRR pay social security tax, medicare please tell me what comprises the 12 % payroll tax?
I could be wrong, about the percentage, is it 6% employer 6% employee? Same rate as social security.

Check again, the LIRR & Metro North Railroad pay nothing to social security. The rest of the MTA does, but no railroads do.

Look into it, the disability portion of railroad retirement is employee funded, again, ALL railroad employees from ALL railroads. I have an uncle who retired from the Baltimore & Ohio (turned into CSX) railroad.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
I could be wrong, about the percentage, is it 6% employer 6% employee? Same rate as social security.

Check again, the LIRR & Metro North Railroad pay nothing to social security. The rest of the MTA does, but no railroads do.

Look into it, the disability portion of railroad retirement is employee funded, again, ALL railroad employees from ALL railroads. I have an uncle who retired from the Baltimore & Ohio (turned into CSX) railroad.
They do pay a percentage into a disability fund and it is primarily funded by payroll taxes on employees that is similar to social security. I still don't see how it's possible to fund someone's retirement at full salary at age 50 with the payroll deductions you mentioned. CSX is a private company, the LIRR is public, part of the MTA. If 100% of employees at CSX take a disability retirement that's their problem, this abuse at the LIRR impacts ticket prices and state taxes.

Article below from 2008 on the same issue, nothing has changed. It indicates 50% of operating cost (ie. salaries) is covered by taxes, I assume the other 50% is covered by ticket income.

"MTA Long Island Rail Road President Helena Williams today announced a series of reform measures aimed at making sure only those retirees who deserve a federal disability pension receive one."

October 2, 2008

MTA LIRR - LIRR President Outlines Actions to Curb Abuse of U.S. Railroad Disability System

Seems like the movie Ground Hogs Day.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Can you squeeze "trough" into that sentence more? I think you forgot to take your meds today.
It's always interesting to see what some of you have been up to (e.g., sad little personal attacks) while I'm out enjoying my weekend, as per the above.

I was not the one who started the talk of "troughs" ... I just finished it. (Please note: I do love LIEddie, although I do not agree with him on everything.)

Old 10-31-2011, 09:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb11111 View Post
PD CN RET - Police Department, CN?, Retired was either making a thinly veiled antisemitic remark or the recognition that you're very funny, in a New York, wise guy sort of way. I'm sure hoping for the latter.
TY for answering. I am not a big sitcom watcher, so did not see all the episodes of Seinfeld, and was wondering if perhaps Seinfeld had shows about run-ins with the police, unions, or civil servants and that was what my little cyberpal was referring to.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:30 PM

398 posts, read 837,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They do pay a percentage into a disability fund and it is primarily funded by payroll taxes on employees that is similar to social security. I still don't see how it's possible to fund someone's retirement at full salary at age 50 with the payroll deductions you mentioned. CSX is a private company, the LIRR is public, part of the MTA. If 100% of employees at CSX take a disability retirement that's their problem, this abuse at the LIRR impacts ticket prices and state taxes.

Article below from 2008 on the same issue, nothing has changed. It indicates 50% of operating cost (ie. salaries) is covered by taxes, I assume the other 50% is covered by ticket income.

"MTA Long Island Rail Road President Helena Williams today announced a series of reform measures aimed at making sure only those retirees who deserve a federal disability pension receive one."

October 2, 2008

MTA LIRR - LIRR President Outlines Actions to Curb Abuse of U.S. Railroad Disability System

Seems like the movie Ground Hogs Day.
While somewhat funny, it's pathetic that stuff like this will never change and the system will just remain broke because the majority is to ignorgant to realize what's going on and the political system to make permanent changes will never get it together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island