Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:23 AM

181 posts, read 303,892 times

Advertisements

If a Union is invovled, there is corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:26 AM

76 posts, read 137,401 times
The best was in the WSJ this morning:

"Joseph Ryan, a lawyer for Joseph Rutigliano, a defendant who worked as a union president and LIRR conductor, called the criminal complaint "a masterpiece of creative writing."

So the crooked LIRR guy is caught red handed, with his hand firmly in the cookie jar when the flash from the camera illuminated, and what does his lawyer say? The U.S. attorney made the whole thing up. I tell you one thing, Preet Bharara does not mess around. Last time I checked, he won EVERY insider trading case he brought against the hedge fund guys. These retired LIRR guys are TOAST.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:31 AM

181 posts, read 303,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You're just jealous you can't game the system like these heroes. Sounds like you made a bad career choice.
Is that what they call thieves these days,System Gamers?
So as long as you hold what would be considered an upstanding job, anything you do would not be considered stealing?
Wow, have I been doing things all wrong.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:48 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiunion View Post
Is that what they call thieves these days,System Gamers?
So as long as you hold what would be considered an upstanding job, anything you do would not be considered stealing?
Wow, have I been doing things all wrong.
Go to dictionary

Look up sarcasm

Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
One thing I don't understand is these individuals were allowed to retire on disability because there disability affected there ability to perform a narrowly defined task. Can't they do other jobs for the MTA? Learn a new set of functions that will provide value? I would think all avenues should be pursued to make this individual productive before even considering a disability retirement.
That's what is done in the private sector world with disability being run by workers' compensation and private disability insurance companies. They will force you to be a telephone solicitor for minimum wage ("see you CAN work at something") or hound you to death to make sure you cannot work by spending more money on private detectives to watch you than it would cost to pay the claim.

Do you know what NYS Disability (of which all of the private sector falls under) pays? 50% of the average weekly wage to a maximum of $170 per week. But that's good enough for US, but not certain super-entitled public sector union members.

But oh no that is not good enough for civil service union members like the NYPD, FDNY and MTA. They must have EXTRA, EXTRA, EXTRA money so they can save thousands of dollars a month on top of having all their living expenses fully paid for life. With us, the taxpayers funding it all.

I think it's a d**n shame that these unions have set it up so unfairly to the taxpayer. That is my major problem with it. The taxpayers are being ripped off. For what? Why the h**l should we be paying them, often from YOUNG ages, huge payouts throughout their entire lives, plus their wives (with kids under 16) and their kids (under 18) get checks from Social Security too? I don't mind taking care of someone who is truly disabled, but come on, it's ridiculous what is going on.

Yet they're out there, doing nothing productive like working, instead leeching off the taxpayers ... even though they actually spend their days "golfing, working out, playing sports with the kids, fishing, working on their cars" and "playing tennis and golf" with their kids. Don't be surprised. It's all true and they admit it freely.

And they call us, who have to fund it all, the "losers." Even though the only reason they are "winners" is because we have to pay for it all, not because they honestly earned what they get. So there's nothing to be "proud of."

Yet in the private sector, try and go on disability and see what happens ... scamming? LOL. You can barely get it if you really are disabled. And how are you going to live on $170 a week if you do?

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 10-28-2011 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-28-2011, 11:17 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
I'm sure someone as yourself with so much first hand information regarding these incidents has taken action and reported it to the proper agency.

Most likely though, this is just another " I know a (insert civil servant or union worker) who scammed the system" story.
For every personal anecdote attesting to a scammer, there is a personal anecdote attesting to someone who was gravely injured in the line of duty and screwed over by the system. Alas, I don't have time to write a list.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:58 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,853 times
[quote=mb11111;21474921]The best was in the WSJ this morning:

"Joseph Ryan, a lawyer for Joseph Rutigliano, a defendant who worked as a union president and LIRR conductor, called the criminal complaint "a masterpiece of creative writing."

Yeah, and your client successfully completing a 400 mile bike marathon in upstate NY is surely the epitomy of what disabled is. I am a healthy 32 year old with no health issues and I doubt that I could even complete a 400 mile bike marathon. No plea bargains for this scumbag. Take it to a jury and have him serve the rest of his retirement in the federal lockup.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:28 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's what is done in the private sector world with disability being run by workers' compensation and private disability insurance companies. They will force you to be a telephone solicitor for minimum wage ("see you CAN work at something") or hound you to death to make sure you cannot work by spending more money on private detectives to watch you than it would cost to pay the claim.

Do you know what NYS Disability (of which all of the private sector falls under) pays? 50% of the average weekly wage to a maximum of $170 per week. But that's good enough for US, but not certain super-entitled public sector union members.

But oh no that is not good enough for civil service union members like the NYPD, FDNY and MTA. They must have EXTRA, EXTRA, EXTRA money so they can save thousands of dollars a month on top of having all their living expenses fully paid for life. With us, the taxpayers funding it all.

I think it's a d**n shame that these unions have set it up so unfairly to the taxpayer. That is my major problem with it. The taxpayers are being ripped off. For what? Why the h**l should we be paying them, often from YOUNG ages, huge payouts throughout their entire lives, plus their wives (with kids under 16) and their kids (under 18) get checks from Social Security too? I don't mind taking care of someone who is truly disabled, but come on, it's ridiculous what is going on.

Yet they're out there, doing nothing productive like working, instead leeching off the taxpayers ... even though they actually spend their days "golfing, working out, playing sports with the kids, fishing, working on their cars" and "playing tennis and golf" with their kids. Don't be surprised. It's all true and they admit it freely.

And they call us, who have to fund it all, the "losers." Even though the only reason they are "winners" is because we have to pay for it all, not because they honestly earned what they get. So there's nothing to be "proud of."

Yet in the private sector, try and go on disability and see what happens ... scamming? LOL. You can barely get it if you really are disabled. And how are you going to live on $170 a week if you do?
You're repeating yourself. Obviously you weren't paying attention when I explained police disability pensions the last time. Oh, and one added piece: police unions don't set the criteria for disability determination in NYS.

How about you refrain from making comments about things in which you have very little knowledge. Then, perhaps, you wouldn't looks so foolish.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
You're repeating yourself. Obviously you weren't paying attention when I explained police disability pensions the last time. Oh, and one added piece: police unions don't set the criteria for disability determination in NYS.

How about you refrain from making comments about things in which you have very little knowledge. Then, perhaps, you wouldn't looks so foolish.

If you knew anything about any topic other than police procedures and compensation, you wouldn't bore most of your relatives to death at Thanksgiving.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
That's only your opinion.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't mean much to me or anyone else here.

I got plenty of supportive DMs and reps on this thread from many people, whose opinions and advice I value.

Like I said to someone else, if you don't like my posts, put me on IGNORE and IGNORE me instead of frantically following me around and making personal attacks every chance you get. That's rather odd behavior for someone who thinks my posts are complete nonsense and that I never know what I am talking about. Are you one of those bitter and resentful old men who never got the voluntary attention of a beautiful woman (not counting when you had one captive, pulled over to give a ticket to)? Maybe therapy can help with that. Chasing me around and bashing me won't make you feel any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island