Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker0508 View Post
We will be looking for a 3 to 4 bedroom. My husband has traveled all over. So he is use to cold weather, he is not from Texas only I am. I know the house cost is going to be $2500-$3500. Is the fuel cost per month? What does electric and water run a month? We were thinking 50 miles because that is what he drives now and it takes about an hour and half. But we have been told that the traffic is much worse so we need to stay on LI. So we will be looking to stay on LI.
Glad to see you have realistic expectations with regard to rent amount.
Cost of heat and electric depends on several factors, i.e. how well the house is insulated and how many appliances, TVs, and other electronic devices you use and for how long And of course how warm you like it in the Winter, and how cold in the Summer... IMHO between $350-$425/mo should be a "safe" estimate for both on average.
Water is rather inexpensive on Long Island; if you have a pool, it'll be more costly or if the house has inground sprinklers. My guess is anywhere between $10-25/month, also depending on which Water District.

Several good suggestions were made in previous posts about possible locations, without using the "50 mile" mark. Long Island is made up of lots of different, smaller, neighborhoods - your personal likes/dislikes may dictate which you'd prefer, as well as how important access to highways/shopping is or if you want privacy and be "away from it all", or how large a piece of property you want.

BTW, just to give you a heads up, many areas on Long Island are NOT on sewers, but have individual cesspools. Nothing to be scared of, many of us have lived that way for decades but better it doesn't come as a shock. If you're uncomfortable with that, you'll still have choices in areas with sewers.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 06:29 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Quote:
We will be looking for a 3 to 4 bedroom. My husband has traveled all over. So he is use to cold weather, he is not from Texas only I am. I know the house cost is going to be $2500-$3500. Is the fuel cost per month? What does electric and water run a month? We were thinking 50 miles because that is what he drives now and it takes about an hour and half. But we have been told that the traffic is much worse so we need to stay on LI. So we will be looking to stay on LI.
What does you husband do that he landed a job in Amityville??

Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,022 times
Quote:
Most items will probably be slightly more expensive than they were in Texas, but as you already know housing will be much more. Not sure how they charge for water in TX, but on LI, it's not that bad. Electricity is a different story. The rate will probably be twice a much as you were being charged in TX (9 cents compared to aobut 18 cents per KWH). To keep travel time to work down to about an hour during rush hour, 25 to 30 miles maybe the max you want to extend yourselves.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 AM

764 posts, read 1,552,851 times
You should be able to find somethin in the town of brookhaven. I live in medford and like it. You can try anything in the sachem school district or Comsequaoge school district(Spelling could be wrong) .

Your 50 miles thing pretty much opens up the whole town of brookhaven. I would just start looking at houses online in the town of brookhaven and go from their.

mlsli.com is a good start.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
You should be able to find somethin in the town of brookhaven.
Definitely: the Town of Brookhaven is the largest of the 10 towns in Suffolk County -- at 532 square miles it's larger than Nassau County (453 square miles) -- and includes within its borders all or part of 9 villages (municipal corporations) and 35 hamlets (unincorporated areas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
mlsli.com is a good start.
You need to be aware that oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 10-28-2011, 11:01 AM

764 posts, read 1,552,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Definitely: the Town of Brookhaven is the largest of the 10 towns in Suffolk County -- at 532 square miles it's larger than Nassau County (453 square miles) -- and includes within its borders all or part of 9 villages (municipal corporations) and 35 hamlets (unincorporated areas).

You need to be aware that oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)
mlsli also allows you to search by school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island