Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:42 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,664,190 times

Advertisements

Which is another PITA, I dont throw the CFLs out, but I dont recycle them either. I hold onto them with the intent of bringing them to HD, and they usually wind up getting broken in my house. Thank you tree hugging fanatics that outlawed my cheap, box of 4 for a buck, toss right in the trash, made in USA light bulbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 08:16 PM

57,073 posts, read 26,036,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
I replaced two old thermostats with new electronic ones; however, since the old ones have ampules of mercury, I'm pretty sure I can't just toss it in the trash.

I thought home depot or lowes would take them but their recylcing bins only list batteries and flourescent/CFL bulbs. Do I have to send them some where or pack them in a special way for regular garbage pick up?
There are STOP programs all over LI for not only light bulbs with mercury but also electronics, pesticides,etc. You really shouldn't be throwiing any of these items in the garbage. Some of the local village or towns have drop off points in your area if you can't wait for the next STOP program.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Now ask me if I recycle.

Rather short sighted don't you think, does the mercury just disappear when you put it in the garbage?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 PM

629 posts, read 1,698,371 times
Quote:
I replaced two old thermostats with new electronic ones; however, since the old ones have ampules of mercury, I'm pretty sure I can't just toss it in the trash.

I thought home depot or lowes would take them but their recylcing bins only list batteries and flourescent/CFL bulbs. Do I have to send them some where or pack them in a special way for regular garbage pick up?
OMG - mercury - do you realize the IMPACT this could have on the environment? Do you realize what would happen if ALL of us upgraded to digital thermostats and simply tossed out the old ones?

PLEASE dispose of your old mercury thermostat properly by following the steps below:
1) place the old thermostat in a plastic bag
2) place the plastic bag containing the thermostat in a Maxwell House coffee can (important - it MUST be Maxwell House can) - fill the space in the can with popcorn - put the plastic lid on the can
3) at exactly 1:45AM EST on any day Monday-Friday take the can and head out to the rear corner of your yard
4) using a garden shovel, dig a hole exactly 12" in diameter 18 1/2" deep
5) place the can in the hole and proceed to fill the hole with the dirt earlier excavated
6) return to your house - keeping the lights off - and clean your shoes of any dirt - put your clothes in the washing machine
7) pray that no one saw you and reports you as some worthless government employee from some useless government agency is likely to make it their life's goal to crawl up your $&# and make you pay for the environmental damage you have done

Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 PM

322 posts, read 935,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are STOP programs all over LI for not only light bulbs with mercury but also electronics, pesticides,etc. You really shouldn't be throwiing any of these items in the garbage. Some of the local village or towns have drop off points in your area if you can't wait for the next STOP program.
As it turns out my town does have a STOP program, but the next collection day is not until April/May of next year. And the recycling center is only open on the hours I'm at work. Looks like I'll just keep it in an empty paint can until the next collection day. Thank you all for the advice.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
As it turns out my town does have a STOP program, but the next collection day is not until April/May of next year. And the recycling center is only open on the hours I'm at work. Looks like I'll just keep it in an empty paint can until the next collection day. Thank you all for the advice.

You're doing the right thing, small sacrifice for keeping these things out of the environment and on LI out of the ground water. If you live in the village you may want to check with them, they may have alternatives. Small price to pay if you have seen the effects of mercury poisoning.

The case that brought this to light was Minamata Japan in the 1950's & 60's when mercury was ingested through shell fish. Life magazine did a story on it and it was devastating.

Minamata disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island