Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:09 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Northport.
There is a Northport train station, but it's in East Northport. I'm still trying to figure that out .. along with the fact that East Northport is due south of Northport.
I've got the answer for you.

There used to be a "Northport" train station about a half a mile West. Then, as the LIRR was expanding, they built the East Northport station where the current Northport station exists today. The old station was eventually torn down and the East Northport station was renamed the Northport station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I am aware of that. I was referring to the quote above, in that Woodmere has an LIRR station that is an easy walk to its "downtown" area.
But I would consider that rather obvious, though. Areas near the train tend to be older and more walkable and they're a natural "Downtown" for the village.

That's why this thread was made: I mean for most areas near the LIRR, the Downtown is right around the train station. That's why the OP asked if there were any that weren't near (presumably walking distance) of the LIRR.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I've got the answer for you.

There used to be a "Northport" train station about a half a mile West. Then, as the LIRR was expanding, they built the East Northport station where the current Northport station exists today. The old station was eventually torn down and the East Northport station was renamed the Northport station.
Thanks .. both to you and the previous poster

Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,657 times
I was driving down East Meadow Avenue the other day and thought to myself that the area between Front Street and North Jerusalem Avenue has a bit of a "downtown" feel to it.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
From the heart of Huntington Village (the intersection of Main St. & New York Ave.), it is 1.6 miles to the Huntington Station LIRR Station. If you start from the southern edge of downtown Huntington (Huntington Village)-- which is the intersection of New York Ave. & Fairview St. --it is 1.4 miles to the Huntington Station LIRR Station. It can "prospectively" be walkable (for a city person like me who walks alot . . . as a way-of-life), depending on where you are going in Huntington Village and environs. From some locations, it may be a bit too much for some people to desire to walk. And, if I recall correctly, walking from Huntington Village south on New York Ave. to the LIRR Station is an UPHILL walk (or is it uphill in the other direction?).

Babylon Village, Bay Shore Village, Farmingdale Village, Amityville Village, Hicksville, Mineola, Garden City, Long Beach, Great Neck, Patchogue, Westbury Village, Hempstead Village, Rockville Centre, and a multitude of other municipalities on Long Island do have a downtown YET ALSO DO have a LIRR station in or within easy walk of downtown.
Someone else here (the contributor named "SEVENTH FLOOR") said "I'd add Woodmere to the list". And you can also add Port Washington to the list (i.e., another municipality that does have a downtown yet also does have a LIRR station in or within easy walk of downtown). In Port Washington's case, the LIRR station is within the downtown walking area.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:26 AM

96 posts, read 187,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Center Moriches.

Has a nice little downtown but no train station at all.
CM needs a lot of help. Train station closed and old grand hotel & retail building at corner of RR ave knocked down in the 60s. That area is crap now and retail center of gravity has shifted West with the shopping center at Lake Ave. Center of old main street OK, but nothing great. Go further West and just a lot of bad Brookhaven town retail development. Needs a master plan and some investment starting with putting something attractive at NW corner of RR ave as well as at the SE corner of Lake (old Dairy Barn) and sprucing up everything in between.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:27 AM

96 posts, read 187,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Center Moriches.

Has a nice little downtown but no train station at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
If so, post pictures, please.
Garden City South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island