Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:07 AM

520 posts, read 1,654,002 times

Advertisements

I for one am against it. I don't trust these greedy MF'ers. Plus, I think it's time we find some other ways to produce energy. Of course there is too much money in petroleum/gas energy to change. I think it's a out time we got rid of the combustion engine. That guy from family ties said we'd have flying cars by now. This is bs!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 AM

654 posts, read 2,121,534 times
Default Long Beach

Thus sounds like the Broadwater Project trying to,put a Liquified Natural Gas facility on the LI Sound. It was finally shot down after a 3 year battle.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 AM

884 posts, read 1,406,457 times
If they want natural gas, then let the beachgoers cook chili on the beach and then eat it.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 AM

74 posts, read 232,034 times
I am 100% against it. Long Island is plagued with its fair share of pollution which we can't seem to get a handle on as it is. I shutter to think of the ecological issues that would arise because of the pipelines. They're dangling the carrot in front of our noses with promises of jobs and lower energy costs but we really need to look at the long term effects before jumping to anything that would impact the island on such a large scale.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
You want to lower the cost of energy, attract businesses, and lower the cost of HH electricity? Then you got to build the infrastructure. Don't want to build a coal plant? Then go LNG or suffer higher prices.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,415 times
These facilities are designed for storage pre-export. The energy companies are slowly trying to turn the US into an exporter of natural gas, since they can get far higher prices for their product in places like Europe. We will suffer the spoliation of our natural resources so that Exxon can reap more profits selling gas to China. And then we will get to pay more for gas as the global market drives up prices.

We should be building nuclear and wind power, not methane.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
If they wanted to export LNG, they will not do it through Jones Beach. TX, LA offer more competitive export facilities as well as the capability to dock larger vessels. Clearly this is for domestic consumption.

Nuclear energy - Uranium stocks are getting scarce globally and prices will go up. Also uranium will eventually have to be imported from other countries. And after what happened in Japan, you can bet this won't get past the NIMBYs.

Wind power - Not yet proven in the US on a large commercial scale. And again, think of how the NIMBYs will react when rows upon rows of massive windmills are built right off the coast. Not gonna happen.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Long Island is doomed.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
ANYTHING....ANYTHING...that supports the oil and gas industry is fine with me.

Wasteful spending on Granola Bar alternative energy plans is fruitless except for the feel good factor.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,765,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
ANYTHING....ANYTHING...that supports the oil and gas industry is fine with me.

Wasteful spending on Granola Bar alternative energy plans is fruitless except for the feel good factor.
What, you didn't like the LIPA wind farm idea?

For all of the money spent, wind farms are among the lowest in efficiency and still require heaps of money to build and maintain. Given the limitations, LIPA's wind farm would have to be huge, as in huge $$ going out. Smacks of a Shoreham x 10.

I basically agree with you, in that any new infrastructure, including pipelines and terminals, is good for LI. Few places with such population density have the crumbling, neglected infrastructure that LI has. OTOH, I tend to agree with the naysayers who suspect the primary goal of the 'Jones Beach' terminal will be to quickly export the nat gas to Europe where the prices for such commodities are much higher. We (our fearless leaders, like Obama) need to stand up to the energy special interests and place limits on exports, putting our country's energy needs above the profits of a few gas companies. Until this happens, we will not feel any of the benefits of our increasing production of oil and gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island