Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM

78 posts, read 252,799 times

Advertisements

I received a traffic ticket on the LIE in western Suffolk. In almost 30 years of driving, this is the 2nd time I've been stopped! I'm a bit unsure of how to proceed, and was hoping someone could share their experience...

In speaking with friends and researching online, I understand that this ticket is handled through NY DMV Traffic Violation Bureau, not "regular" traffic court. I've been told there's no plea bargaining at TVB, it's guilty or not.

I've heard in the past that you should never respond guilty on a traffic ticket...always worth it to plead not guilty to a lesser infraction, in hopes of saving money and reducing points on license. I'm not sure how to proceed.

Has anyone had any experience with this TVB agency? Is this a new department? Were you able to plea down a charge? Would appreciate any advice on how to navigate my way through this!

Thanks very much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:46 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
What was the ticket for??

Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 AM

184 posts, read 805,680 times
You heard correctly, there is no plea bargaining in the tvb court. You either plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead not guilty, you will receive a traffic court date. If the officer shows up you are pretty much guilty no matter what you may try to tell the judge.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
From what I've heard it's like TVB in NYC, in which case you're pretty much screwed unless the cop doesn't show up or he loses his paperwork.

I went to TVB in Queens around 4 years ago, and sat through 2 cops before the guy who pulled me over. There was one woman who got off and that was because the cop lost his paperwork on that one ticket..he had like 10 cases.

Every single other person was convicted, and the judge had the same response to every story that was voiced, whether it seemed reasonable or complete BS....(some of the stuff I heard was hilarious).

"In order to believe your story, I'd have to believe that the police officer gave you a ticket for no reason, guilty."

These are administrative judges...they're basically people hired to rubber stamp tickets.

I've never been to TVB in Suffolk, so I'm only going by what I've heard from others. If what I've heard is true, it's pretty much a waste of time off work on the slim hope the cop doesn't show.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
I can confirm from multiple visits to the Suffolk TVB...there is no plea bargaining in Suffolk.

In Nassau, you can chew down the prosecutor to get a non-moving violation as long as they get their money....but in Suffolk, no go. Guilty or non-guilty. The only way you can get out of it is to hope the cop is a no-show, and even that they give the cop a second chance to show if he misses the first court date.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Mine was in Queens TVB (damn the Clearview dragstrip @ 50mph limit) and my traffic attorney (because I wanted to get it lowered from 6 pts and a 3-year fee) got it reduced but only after postponing it 3 times over the course of a year. I'm not even sure if the cop showed up at that point. In the end I saved about $300 and 2 pts. You may want to at least talk to a traffic attorney to see what they do for Suffolk. I used Jan Goldman --> http://www.jangoldman.com/

Old 11-04-2011, 04:54 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
I got caught doing 100 in 55 in suffolk. hired an attorney and had it reduced to 65 in 55.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
I got caught doing 100 in 55 in suffolk. hired an attorney and had it reduced to 65 in 55.
100 mph? Who were you trying to kill? Yourself or someone else?

Crazy is the perfect name for you - hope I never encounter you on the road.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
100mph, you should have lost your license, but I'm sure the county was happy just to get you money because as we know, it's all about safety.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:50 PM

884 posts, read 1,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellieF View Post
I received a traffic ticket on the LIE in western Suffolk. In almost 30 years of driving, this is the 2nd time I've been stopped! I'm a bit unsure of how to proceed, and was hoping someone could share their experience...

In speaking with friends and researching online, I understand that this ticket is handled through NY DMV Traffic Violation Bureau, not "regular" traffic court. I've been told there's no plea bargaining at TVB, it's guilty or not.

I've heard in the past that you should never respond guilty on a traffic ticket...always worth it to plead not guilty to a lesser infraction, in hopes of saving money and reducing points on license. I'm not sure how to proceed.

Has anyone had any experience with this TVB agency? Is this a new department? Were you able to plea down a charge? Would appreciate any advice on how to navigate my way through this!

Thanks very much...
Pretty much its your guilty at the TVB. I'd pay the fine and then after the conviction goes through, take the defensive driving course to knock down the points. But this will only work after the ticket has been processed, not just written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island