Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:05 PM

17 posts, read 74,481 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are thinking of 5 towns- maybe cedarhurst or lawrence. I'm not familiar with these areas, can anyone comment in schools/shopping/downtown areas/restaurants/bars, etc...

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 11:54 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Lawrence and Cedarhurst are both upscale areas and heavily Orthodox Jewish. The stores in the area cater to this group, such as being closed on Saturdays. The Lawrence UFSD has been shrinking in size these past few years because many of these residents send their children to private religious schools.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:11 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngcouple33 View Post
my wife and i are thinking of 5 towns- maybe cedarhurst or lawrence. I'm not familiar with these areas, can anyone comment in schools/shopping/downtown areas/restaurants/bars, etc...

Thanks,
I can comment on the downtown areas, at least.
Central Avenue would be considered the"downtown" of both Cedarhurst and Lawrence, its a long street and passes through many towns (hamlets, etc) including those two. Lots of nice stores and boutiques. Cedarhurst LIRR is convenient to the shopping, Lawrence LIRR is a few blocks away from the shopping and the LIRR borders the good/"bad" part of Lawrence.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,771 times
Lots of low flying aircraft landing nearby,park on Central Ave in Cederhurst and your hear and see them every few minutes.In my opinion its a disaster waiting to happen.JMO

Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Ethnocentric is such a tame word for what can describe the Cedarhurst/Lawrence area.

Don't expect any sort of quality public schools. Anywhere they can stick a parking meter, they have already. If you have a fetish for wigs or religious ornaments, you'll be right at home. There are two bars, I have not been to them, but they have been around for a while.

Don't expect more than one or two non-Kosher restaurants.

We live right in the main "Downtown" area and we are already planning our escape.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 AM

17 posts, read 74,481 times
Thanks, it seems you are very familiar with the area, any other main streets besides central, I'm also thinking of opening a business there

Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngcouple33 View Post
Thanks, it seems you are very familiar with the area, any other main streets besides central, I'm also thinking of opening a business there
Honestly unless it's something catering to the crowd I don't see it lasting. There are quite a few clothing stores, just recently a video game store closed down and a "off-the-truck" clothing store with no signs just opened in its place. I see stores closing all the time, then reopening as similar stores (i.e. clothing to clothing, food to food).

Old 11-04-2011, 11:20 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Honestly unless it's something catering to the crowd I don't see it lasting.
Exactly, so I was thinking a business for the orthodox would be a high fashion coat, hat, and wig business. Not just the standard fare, but maybe a leopard print coat with reflective stripes, or a hat that has those flashing lights around the brim to improve safety while walking to shul.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:20 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Central Avenue can be a nightmare to drive on because so many people around there think they are entitled to double-park all over the place.

Another problem in the area is Orthodox Jews taking single family homes in the neighborhood and turning them into places of worship and disturbing their neighbors.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Central Avenue can be a nightmare to drive on because so many people around there think they are entitled to double-park all over the place.

Another problem in the area is Orthodox Jews taking single family homes in the neighborhood and turning them into places of worship and disturbing their neighbors.
Oh god yes. I live right on that street and it is horrible.
HONK... HONK HONK... HONNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKK. All day.

And then you have the people crawling at 5mph trying to find a spot they can fit in, so other drivers start going around... then suddenly the 5mph driver decides they've had enough and want their spot back in the line of traffic.

Such a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island