Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:19 AM

4,694 posts, read 8,721,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
now whatever made you think my statement had anything to do with you? You gotta let it go....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,814,839 times
somehow late to the party here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
And even some blocks near the mall are not so bad.

But I do think you are right for pointing out there are some seedy areas because it also means that other parts of Hicksville are fine, including most of Hicksville south of Old Country Road.
yup lived there for 7 years, nice area in terms of people, safety, etc. the further south you go. We frequently took walks in our neighborhood with 2 infants and got nothing but friendly hellos and waves.

The only time we went near the train station is to go INSIDE to the mall and INSIDE on the train. Never had a problem. Still go to Hicksville station today and no problems.

Keeping with this thread's theme, I'll generalize - and say this thread is full of people who take things to the extreme, and those who try to smack some sense into them... I don't even bother anymore. What we really need around here are new members, cause quite simply, the MO is getting old.

Last edited by ovi8; 11-10-2011 at 07:33 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 07:46 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,117,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
now whatever made you think my statement had anything to do with you? You gotta let it go....
Tat.

Lol

; )
Crooks

Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,980,441 times
Oh the horror. All I see are businesses (new 5 Guys, Ikea luring in Manhattanites, Patel Bros., Miyako), lower school taxes, east asian riviera of beamers and mercedes, Jericho style mcmansions along 5th, 6th and 7th streets and the El Salvadorean "bodega" near the overpass on Broadway that has kick a$$ food that aint even that cheap. The comment on the mall was so silly. It is almost identical to every other mall on LI. Not quite as upscale as Roosevelt Field or Walt Whitman but as nice as Sunrise or Smithtown. It certainly aint no Kings Plaza. In fact it is verrrrry suburban and plain. Certainly not "trashy."

What main thoroughfare on LI isn't looking like a run down POS? We only give permits to build strip malls and 55+ apartments in TOH (yes, Walter I know Hicksville is NOT in TOH, thanks, it's an analogy...). It's the law. Nothing that might be construed as modern. Would destroy our "unique suburban character" which is deader than the dodo and being kicked while it's down.

Hicksville should follow Farmingdale and kick the Nimby's in the nuts. Develop the heck out of the train station area with high density housing. Turn it as much into Queens as possible and thrive into the next century. This status quo crap will not fill office or retail space and the rail hub is a goldmine if developed properly and fearlessly, especially when the east side line is completed.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM

5,274 posts, read 4,719,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Amen.

I just dont see the value (other than the schools) for Nassau.

Since weve agreed that they dont count for much, Im still
going with Malba over Malverne.

I actually like Queens, if I was going to put up with the density and traffic, Id pick there first.
I'm not saying Urbanization is bad, Im just saying that Nassaus not really the suburbs anymore.

Crooks

And thats totally fine Crooks. Everyone has different prefrences/tastes. Queens however, is not my bag. Maybe Douglaston but thats about it for me. I still think nassau is suburban (eastern is definately more) but the further west you go the thinner the line gets no doubt.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 AM

7 posts, read 24,971 times
Look at the Hicksville LIRR station, cops patrol it, it is so dangerous. Hicksville now known to be mostly Mexican and Indian now. This area fell apart 10 years ago.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:25 AM

239 posts, read 507,532 times
Hicksville certainly isn't an armpit, and there are still some nice parts. Hicksville is absolutely nothing like Jamaica either. But I do see the area changing, Broadway Mall has had some gang activity problems recently.

Long Island in general is starting to change, not just Hicksville. In Western Nassau many towns are becoming a lot more diverse. This isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, just different. One thing I will comment on is how overcrowded Long Island has become. Many parts of Nassau feel like Queens now, and honestly I don't even know the difference anymore. In Western Nassau during the holiday season, traffic seemed to be just as bad as Manhattan!

Being away from Long Island for quite some time, one thing I do have to say is Long Island is starting to look a bit shabby. Some of the strip malls and shopping centers haven't been fully renovated in years, which is what I mean when I say Long Island has "ugly strip malls." Many of the local grocery stores are old, small, and do not have a good selection with the exception of Stop and Shop, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's. Of course not every shopping center on Long Island is like this, I still find Roosevelt Field and Walt Whitman to be nice. It's amazing when you see suburbs of other cities how much more modern and nicer the shopping centers are. Orlando suburbs you can eat off the ground, Maryland suburbs are much newer and more well kept as well as Denver, most Albany suburbs feel much more modern and still have the NY charm, even North Jersey suburbs seemed to be better maintained.

Suffolk County seems to still feel like a traditional suburb because it's more spacious and doesn't have the high density of Nassau County. I used to think Nassau was better, but if I absolutely had to live on Long Island it would be Suffolk because Nassau is too darn crowded and not worth the price at all.

Last edited by JCNNY; 12-27-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 12-27-2011, 11:52 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,989,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Hicksville certainly isn't an armpit, and there are still some nice parts. Hicksville is absolutely nothing like Jamaica either. But I do see the area changing, Broadway Mall has had some gang activity problems recently.

Long Island in general is starting to change, not just Hicksville. In Western Nassau many towns are becoming a lot more diverse. This isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, just different. One thing I will comment on is how overcrowded Long Island has become. Many parts of Nassau feel like Queens now, and honestly I don't even know the difference anymore. In Western Nassau during the holiday season, traffic seemed to be just as bad as Manhattan!

Being away from Long Island for quite some time, one thing I do have to say is Long Island is starting to look a bit shabby. Some of the strip malls and shopping centers haven't been fully renovated in years, which is what I mean when I say Long Island has "ugly strip malls." Many of the local grocery stores are old, small, and do not have a good selection with the exception of Stop and Shop, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's. Of course not every shopping center on Long Island isn't like this, I still find Roosevelt Field and Walt Whitman to be nice. It's amazing when you see other suburbs of different cities how much more modern and nicer the shopping centers are. Orlando suburbs you can eat off the ground, Maryland suburbs are much newer and more well kept as well as Denver, most Albany suburbs feel much more modern and still have the NY charm, even North Jersey suburbs seemed to be better maintained.

Suffolk County seems to still feel like a traditional suburb because it's more spacious and doesn't have the high density of Nassau County. I used to think Nassau was better, but if I absolutely had to live on Long Island it would be Suffolk because Nassau is too darn crowded and not worth the price at all.

Yep the city folks got what they wanted and the town was all to happy to give it to them.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:06 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,681,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Yep the city folks got what they wanted and the town was all to happy to give it to them.

So how's Granny doing, Jethro?

Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,989,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
So how's Granny doing, Jethro?

im going to responed saying your probbly drunk and i have a rule
about not insulting people when they hit the booze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island