Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Westchester Vs Long Island
Westchester 15 48.39%
Long Island 16 51.61%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 PM

232 posts, read 496,249 times

Advertisements

I know this has been posted a million times but bear with me.

I recently returned from visiting family in Katonah, in Westchester. It is one of the most quaint and simple areas ever, which I'm partial too; there's money there too however. Everyone drives Beamers and Benz's. I also have family on the Island (south-shore but still nice) , which I enjoy as well.

Taxes are incredibly high in both places but which one is higher? There obviously not both the same. Which one has better schools? I've been told a majority of LI highschools have metal detectors and arent as safe as there Westchester Counterparts.

I like the small town feel that Bedford-Katonah-Mt Kisco area has (especially the walkable, quaint downtowns) more than the suburbia feel of Lindenhurst-Babylon area has.

Few things I've noticed in my travels..
  • The homes in Westchester are more spread out, with bigger yards, and more landscaping.
  • There's less Italian heritage in Westchester
  • More of a neighborly feel in Westchester
  • The water in Westchester isnt as clean LI
  • Traffic is much less extreme in Westchester
  • MNR is 24/7 but is almost identical to LIRR

Basically, which one is for me? I come from a small town to begin with and like the feel. Money isnt really isnt an issue but commuting is. I will work in the city but will have to travel a lot. I would like a large lot with at least 3200 sqft. A place with a walkable downtown with lots of small, local business. Friendly people without some much New Yawk accent.

This is a very hard decision for me and I could use some real detailed answers and insight.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 05:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post

I recently returned from visiting family in Katonah, in Westchester. It is one of the most quaint and simple areas ever, which I'm partial too; there's money there too however. Everyone drives Beamers and Benz's. I also have family on the Island (south-shore but still nice) , which I enjoy as well.

Taxes are incredibly high in both places but which one is higher? There obviously not both the same. Which one has better schools? I've been told a majority of LI highschools have metal detectors and arent as safe as there Westchester Counterparts.

I like the small town feel that Bedford-Katonah-Mt Kisco area has (especially the walkable, quaint downtowns) more than the suburbia feel of Lindenhurst-Babylon area has.

• The homes in Westchester are more spread out, with bigger yards, and more landscaping.

Basically, which one is for me? I come from a small town to begin with and like the feel. Money isnt really isnt an issue but commuting is. I will work in the city but will have to travel a lot. I would like a large lot with at least 3200 sqft. A place with a walkable downtown with lots of small, local business. Friendly people without some much New Yawk accent.

This is a very hard decision for me and I could use some real detailed answers and insight.

Thanks!
No, no ... a thousand times NO!

Who told you that?

There are only a handful of bad school districts on LI ... 10 or less out of over 120 school districts.

We can tell you about LI. If you want to know about Westchester, also post on that forum.

What size/type of house do you want and what is your budget?

Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post

Thanks!
LOL , your views are so off its laughable....

Theres a decent amount of Italians in both Westchester and on Long Island...there more laided back in Westchester...

Your correct about Westchesters sense of community , and pride , its not the same on LI...

The Water in Westchester is cleaner then LI and feeds NYC's thirst aswell as Westchester

Westchester has a better Transit system then Long Island and is more dense hench the higher ridership on the bus system and Rail lines..

The MNRR does not run 24/7 more like 21/7 , and is not similar to the LIRR...the MNRR is better run then the LIRR and goes to other cities besides NYC

Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
If you plan on travelling a lot go with Westchester. Getting off LI is a pain in the arse anymore. So is getting back on, for that matter.

What's your budget?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Westchester is very expensive from what I have been told.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 PM

232 posts, read 496,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you plan on travelling a lot go with Westchester. Getting off LI is a pain in the arse anymore. So is getting back on, for that matter.

What's your budget?
I'm flexible. Not millions obviously. Whats the average for 4 br 2-3 ba?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
I voted for Long Island based on weather...the winters and snow levels in Westchester are much higher than LI. Moreover, the roads after snowstorms in Long Island are much more drive-able than the roads in Westchester, where the conditions on those hilly windy 1 lane roads are the cause of major accidents in snow/rain conditions.

I drove to Westchester often since I had 2 ex boyfriends who lived up there in that area (Briarcliff Manor and North Rockland County) and every time I spent a weekend up there, I would curse getting around because of the local traffic and tiny roads (not that the LIE is any better but at least Sunrise Highway and Jerichl Turnpike are iced/salted only an hour after any manor snowstorm and you can get around because the area is all flat.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:57 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Based on how you like the country feel and a slower environment, I think Westchester would be better for you.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,671 times
It's not even a comparison, Westchester is FAR better than Long Island in almost every aspect: traffic/transportation, people, quaintness, natural beauty. People in Westchester have class, Long Islanders are uncouth.

North Shore Long Island is ok but for the same amount of $$$ you can get a better quality of life in Westchester.

My boss lives in South Salem and commutes to Garden City everyday. He says its totally worth it.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:16 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Lousy beaches in Westchester, if that makes a difference to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island