Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times

Advertisements

At $7500yr taxes, my local public school BETTER be the best damn school on the planet...even if it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 PM

5 posts, read 44,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I would go with the most expensive one, usually that means they are the best! Good luck!
Really ? my wife says the same thing but I am not sure,, Expensive schools run about 25K a year.. you may get some arguments about this though!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:17 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouschip View Post
Really ? my wife says the same thing but I am not sure,, Expensive schools run about 25K a year.. you may get some arguments about this though!
Really?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
One local private school, Knox, is where 3V parents send their children when they have issues (social, educational) in the classroom. These aren't monster children, but be warned -- the one or two who wind up at Knox might be disruptive at first.

Stony Brook School is undergoing some changes which alumni, supporters and some staff have seriously questioned. They've turned over a number of teachers in the past few years. There's a FB page dedicated to this.

Coney made some good points about the smaller group of peers, distances between them, being in or out of 'the group'. Another thing to think about is whether your child will be a 'have' or a 'not have as much' amongst his or her peers.

Personally, I like Kayo_Michael's suggestion and while I don't know of any Juku school, I have had friends who could afford or who split tutors to give additional lessons after school, and others whose children attended Kumon for enrichment.

My neighbor's son did the Montessori, public school, gifted program and attends enrichment as well. He is very bright compared to his peers, but socially he's lost. He can't connect on their level (too much time in school, enrichment and extra piano lessons) and doesn't see the fun in kid things like playing ball. The kids piled up leaves to play in last year and he went about discussing the shape of the leaf, how it shows what type of oak it is, why they lose color.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:57 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Just because they go to an expensive school, does not guarantee that they will suceed both emotionally and educationally.

My sil is a super bright forensic phychiarist(sp), her dh is a super bright actuary. Book smart completely.

Socially ; the most inept people I have ever seen. Cannot deal with the realities of paying bills, moving homes, just everday things that most of us have to do for ourselves.

She went to a private school, one of the best universities in Ireland. He went to great colleges also. Just shows that money cannot buy basic social needs to live.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:14 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
One local private school, Knox, is where 3V parents send their children when they have issues (social, educational) in the classroom. These aren't monster children, but be warned -- the one or two who wind up at Knox might be disruptive at first.

I went there for a a year in the sixties when it was still The Knox School for Girls. Zsa Zsa Gabor's daughter was there, a few years ahead of me. More recently my cousins's son taught there & he confirmed exactly what you said. The kids were terrible. Nuts.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-12-2011, 08:36 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Given that every parent on Long Island thinks their kid will be the next Einstein and needs to go to the top tier colleges to major in Sociology...may I suggest you look into Boces. There are plenty of jobs out there now in the skilled trades. Perhaps you can unleash his potential in plumbing or electricity.
Not to interrupt your usual smarmy attempts at humor, but construction workers are among the hardest hit by the economic downturn.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:18 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
If money is no object try the Waldorf School in Garden City, tuition in the lower grades runs around $17,000 and progresses from there.

People are sending $40,000 on seat licenses for football games, at least this is for a good cause.

Open house December 1.

The Waldorf School of Garden City: Admissions

Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 PM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Although not as highly rated as the better Public, Catholic, or Yeshiva schools, Friends Academy is generally considered the best private school in Nassau.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:05 PM

5 posts, read 44,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Although not as highly rated as the better Public, Catholic, or Yeshiva schools, Friends Academy is generally considered the best private school in Nassau.
Thats what I've heard.. Don"t know how it compares to Waldorf or Eastwood or Portledge. If I am not a quaker, would christian have a problem with Friends Academy ? I mean I am considering FA but I guess real question is how do you define "best" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island