Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:36 PM

7 posts, read 6,450 times

Advertisements

With taxes through the roof and the SCPD playing games with the public's safety, do you think the Deputies (whose total compensation cost is half of an SCPD officer) should take over all policing duties and Steve Levy should disband the SCPD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
CT seems to do fine with State Troopers.

Maybe we need to combine NC and SC PDs?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Perhaps we should go back to town run police forces again. I am not sure yet if that is the answer but the politicians totally screwed up the county police by letting salaries and benefits go off the scales.

One long term thing that concerns me with the existing county police is if the Long Island crime rate goes up --- we will not be able to afford to hire many more police officers than we already have because of the huge cost.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Perhaps we should go back to town run police forces again. I am not sure yet if that is the answer but the politicians totally screwed up the county police by letting salaries and benefits go off the scales.

One long term thing that concerns me with the existing county police is if the Long Island crime rate goes up --- we will not be able to afford to hire many more police officers than we already have because of the huge cost.
Cops in most village departments on Long Island make more money than either NCPD or SCPD. There is nothing to be gained and much to be lost by returning to local policing.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Cops in most village departments on Long Island make more money than either NCPD or SCPD. There is nothing to be gained and much to be lost by returning to local policing.
I have read that our police our among the highest paid police officers in the nation? I am obviously not talking about tiny police forces on the village level though. It makes more sense to compare them to major police forces in large cities and other suburbs.

Like I said, if god forbid crime turns around and starts going back up again --- we cannot really afford to hire many more police officers at the salaries they are making (which is ever increasing too).

Old 07-24-2009, 09:04 PM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
This is actually quite true. I know officers that left the NYPD for smaller village departments that make more than Suffolk or Nassau.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 PM

Ok, what about keeping the county police forces and just reduce their saleries to what New York City officers make?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:30 PM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
Quote:
Ok, what about keeping the county police forces and just reduce their saleries to what New York City officers make?
They really can't just "drop salaries" in police departments that already exist. This is why they have contracts. The most they can do with departments that already exist is give contracts with zeros in them for some time which would make the pay the same as it is now for quite some time. This is what happened with the NYPD for some time. There were contracts given such as "0,0,2,3" ( I do not remember the exact numbers but there were definitely zeroes and low numbers after) which means two years of no raise then the third year a 2 percent raise, fourth year a three percent raise. There were a number of contracts in a row with zeroes in them. The NYPD can now go to a state arbitration system that they were not able to go to at the time the zeroes were being given and since then there have been no zeroes.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:37 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5dollarfootlong View Post
With taxes through the roof and the SCPD playing games with the public's safety, do you think the Deputies (whose total compensation cost is half of an SCPD officer) should take over all policing duties and Steve Levy should disband the SCPD?
Shenanigans. Post numbers to back your claim. I believe deps make about 90 which by my estimate is hardly half. Southhampton makes more than both from what I recall from a newsday article and LI as a whole is the most expensive place to live in the U.S due to its insane governmental issues such as hamlets, towns, and villages which are almost non-existent in the rest of the U.S

I find it humorous that 5dollar is a new member and every one of his posts are about bashing our Police.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:26 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:

I agree, let the town and village police forces handle day to day law enforcement and the Sheriff's Office handles the jails and specialized services like SWAT, Marine, K9, Aviation, park patrols, highway patrol, etc.

We ALREADY can't afford to hire more SCPD/NCPD officers then to replace those who are retiring ... we can barely afford to maintain the 1970 staffing levels due to their exorbitant salary. And in 1970 the population of the 5 towns covered by the SCPD was significantly less then it is today. In 1970 the SCPD also could not interfere on the East End, that dident come about until Gaffney was brought out by the PBA.

Quote:
There is nothing to be gained
Actually quite the opposite, if Community A is a village and has it's own PD they STAY in that village but if Community B has the SCPD/NCPD they lose their coverage at the whim of call volume and shift staffing to cover Community C, D, E, F, etc. Case in point, West Islip has 2 officers per shift ... but if something happens in Bay Shore we could have 1 officer or if 1 officer is on vacation or sick leave and something goes down we could have NO coverage.

Last edited by WIHS2006; 07-25-2009 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island