Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,463 times

Advertisements

I recently finished graduate school and I just started a good job in Suffolk County. I am totally new to the area and currently in temporary housing.

I am looking for an apartment for my wife (who is finishing up school and won't be here for another month), myself, and our cat. We are mid-20s.

I'm starting to become a little frustrated by my apartment search. We need a decent 1 bedroom that will allow our cat. Our rent budget is $1300 a month. Something within 3-4 miles of a LIRR station would be nice, but isn't absolutely necessary. A dishwasher would also be a nice perk.

Start up costs are an issue. I just moved, and I had been looking for a permanent job for a year, so our finances are really stretched. At $1300 a month we can pay the first months rent and a security deposit equal to one months rent. This seems reasonable to me, and is commensurate with the other three places I have lived.

In long island, it seems like a two month security deposit is often required, as well as a "brokerage fee." Frankly, we can't afford such a large deposit or a "brokerage fee."

Just to give an idea, some of the places I am looking at include: Patchogue, Rocky Point, Middle Island, Coram, etc.

Where and how can my wife and I get into an affordable, reasonable, and legal apartment for $2600 or less start up cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,463 times
One more important thing: I have poor credit, due to unpaid medical bills from an emergency surgery when I was a student and seriously underinsured.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdude View Post
I recently finished graduate school and I just started a good job in Suffolk County. I am totally new to the area and currently in temporary housing.

I am looking for an apartment for my wife (who is finishing up school and won't be here for another month), myself, and our cat. We are mid-20s.

I'm starting to become a little frustrated by my apartment search. We need a decent 1 bedroom that will allow our cat. Our rent budget is $1300 a month. Something within 3-4 miles of a LIRR station would be nice, but isn't absolutely necessary. A dishwasher would also be a nice perk.

Start up costs are an issue. I just moved, and I had been looking for a permanent job for a year, so our finances are really stretched. At $1300 a month we can pay the first months rent and a security deposit equal to one months rent. This seems reasonable to me, and is commensurate with the other three places I have lived.

In long island, it seems like a two month security deposit is often required, as well as a "brokerage fee." Frankly, we can't afford such a large deposit or a "brokerage fee."

Just to give an idea, some of the places I am looking at include: Patchogue, Rocky Point, Middle Island, Coram, etc.

Where and how can my wife and I get into an affordable, reasonable, and legal apartment for $2600 or less start up cost?

Frankly, you're going to have a difficult time - your big hurdle is the broker fee.
Most (not all) legal landlords on Long Island use a broker/agent. Why? Because it's free for them! The agents do all the legwork in terms of interviewing, background checks, showing, etc. and they just have to ok the potential tenant once someone qualified makes an offer.
Unlike most other States (and upstate) where the landlord pays the fee.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
One more important thing: I have poor credit, due to unpaid medical bills from an emergency surgery when I was a student and seriously underinsured.

Ouch, that's not making it any easier Although some landlords might be understanding...

Old 11-12-2011, 05:17 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,384 times
I just used your search parameters and quickly searched craigslist and I found a few matches
PETS OK, Nice -- New Condition, Rent by Owner (http://longisland.craigslist.org/apa/2698275907.html - broken link)

FANTASTIC 1 BEDROOM APARTMENT! (http://longisland.craigslist.org/apa/2687704405.html - broken link)

**1 MONTH FREE**Heat / Hot Water Included**Fitness Room/Pool*3-avail (http://longisland.craigslist.org/apa/2693517325.html - broken link)

Bright, Cozy 1 Bedroom Apartment. Includes All (http://longisland.craigslist.org/apa/2684296075.html - broken link)

Brookhaven Hamlet (http://longisland.craigslist.org/apa/2691923352.html - broken link)

APT for rent all new (http://longisland.craigslist.org/apa/2682981635.html - broken link)

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2011, 05:20 PM

Sometimes you can get lucky!
Hopefully they're legal (and still available).

Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,854 times
Important questions:
1) Where is the job, where are you going to commute to?
2) $1300 budget - does it have to include the utilities?

At a minimum you should have a 2 months rent (1 as security deposit). You don't need to pay a broker's fee if you look for a place yourself.

The credit will be an issue, but may be workable if your wife's credit is good. You need to have some proof of employment for renting an apartment.

Apartment complexes in the area are not many, not particularly affordable and some have waiting lists... But is possible to find something in your price range and allowing pets.

Pros for an apartment in a complex: may have certain amenities (pool, gym, laundry facilities if not in each apt etc); utility cost most likely will be lower than in a private house, you can be sure things are legal, management may be more responsive than some landlords.

Pros for an apartment in a private house, or renting a small house: the landlord may be more flexible/understanding with your credit situation (though not so sure). If you rent a small cottage/house, you have more privacy. Be aware that an overwhelming number of private rentals, esp. if affordable, are illegal. Going through a broker does not save you from ending up with an illegal apt. Ask, read carefully...

---
Places to look for private rentals yourself:
1) zillow.com - select "for rent" and your conditions
2) craiglist
3) local papers
4) here is a dedicated site at Stony Brook for rentals and apartment complexes, also covering the area you asked about:
OCH: Housing

For example, 4 houses/apartments came up <$1200, allowing cats in Hollbrook, Port Jeff Station etc.

Miller Place/Sound Beach/Rocky Point - definitely could find rentals in your price range (1BR or 2BR) but ask for details (utilities etc). The pros of that region: nice, safe, close to the beach (LI sound); cons: not that convenient for commuting (depends where you go).
Mid- and south maybe closer to LIRR or major highways.

-----
Apartment complexes - here are some in your price range, accepting pets; they vary in coverage of utilities.

Maple Crest Garden Apts in Port Jefferson
Maple Crest Garden Apartments at Port Jefferson in Port Jefferson, NY | Apartments.com
Close to LIRR, close to Port Jeff village (you may like it as a young couple).
Not sure about the complex itself - visit, check reviews etc. Shouldn't be terrible.

This site/group manages a couple of complexes that are pet friendly and in your budget. These are in Lake Grove, Coram, Patchogue...
Search Results - Suffolk County Apartments for Rent - Home Properties

I know that the Lake Grove complex is popular with medical residents and postdocs at Stony Brook, and is safe, clean and pet-friendly. Convenient to LIRR, but more expensive than some other.

Last edited by 2011littlehouse; 11-12-2011 at 06:11 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 07:56 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,157 times
Quote:

I had the same problem, the key is to be patient and find a decent apartment that isn't going through a broker. I looked at a few affordable places with a broker, but ultimately I did not have $3000 or more to put down. But by waiting it out and using some discretion, I was able to land a decent by-owner place in just about the best location I could've hoped for.

Alternatively, you could limit your searches to apartments around the $1k mark if you just need a one-bedroom. You should be able to find one in that range in Suffolk that allows a small pet, so even if you have to go through a broker, it's only $3000 instead of $3900 or more.

Where in Suffolk will you be working? If you can't find an apartment in your target area, you might be able to find one if you search a little further west. Most of the commuter traffic on LI is going west during the morning rush and east in the evening, so unless you'll be working the night shift, you'll have a relatively easy commute.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,955 times
Maybe you could try to rent a house that can be subdivided and you could share the total house rent with another tenant.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:32 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
Look at Fairfield apartments. No broker's fee! You can get something in Bay Shore for probably 1300. They'll take the cat. And only one month's deposit.

Plus, their apartments are fairly nice. The credit could be an issue, but you'll have to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island