Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 05:58 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times

Advertisements

Got two questions for the train savvy folks....every time I'm on the train (Babylon-Montauk branch, I leave out of Wantagh), I look at the little maps and it seems that at either the Valley Stream or Lynbrook station you can transfer over to the Long Beach, West Hempstead and Far Rockaway lines. Is this actually possible? Seems like it's a great way to get to these places as long as you're not on a schedule. Long Beach can be a pain to get to during the summer months and I love the beaches and bars....but not the parking.

Second question...anybody ever ridden the Far Rockaway line to the end?
Apparently a few blocks away you can hop on the A-train, which would also be pretty neat since that thing takes you all over the place....only question here is how badly do I really want to be walking around near the Redfern projects? Very curious if anyone's ever done this!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 06:59 AM

16 posts, read 43,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Got two questions for the train savvy folks....every time I'm on the train (Babylon-Montauk branch, I leave out of Wantagh), I look at the little maps and it seems that at either the Valley Stream or Lynbrook station you can transfer over to the Long Beach, West Hempstead and Far Rockaway lines. Is this actually possible? Seems like it's a great way to get to these places as long as you're not on a schedule. Long Beach can be a pain to get to during the summer months and I love the beaches and bars....but not the parking.

Second question...anybody ever ridden the Far Rockaway line to the end?
Apparently a few blocks away you can hop on the A-train, which would also be pretty neat since that thing takes you all over the place....only question here is how badly do I really want to be walking around near the Redfern projects? Very curious if anyone's ever done this!!
I've never taken the train out to Far Rockaway, but there were times when, at a previous job in Carle Place, I'd take the Carle Place train to Jamaica and then transfer to the Long Beach train. I've also been known to take the Long Beach train to Lynbrook, then transfer to the Babylon branch to meet some friends at bars at either Wantagh or Massapequa Park. It's definitely doable...the only problem is, trains on different branches run on all sorts of different schedules, so you may have to do some careful coordination to make sure you spend as little time waiting at Lynbrook/Jamaica/Valley Stream as possible (you don't want to 'just miss' a train and wait for the next one...especially during the weekends, when trains on certain branches run only hourly and, with the way the trains are scheduled, you'd make it at 11:00 to wait at Lynbrook to wait for the Long Beach train, that arrives at 11:50 (because you just missed the 10:50).

-E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island