Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 AM

20,923 posts, read 28,382,135 times

Advertisements

McDonalds' McRib and its cult-like following are back. Thank goodness the "disconcerting" sandwich is only returning for a limited time only, says Meredith Melnick at TIME. Because if you knew about all the unpronounceable ingredients packed into the McRib, you might think twice about wolfing down the sauce-drenched pork concoction. Think you can stomach what's inside? Read on:
How many ingredients are there?
At face value, the sandwich contains just pork, onions, and pickle slices slathered in barbecue sauce and laid out on a bun. But the truth is, there are roughly 70 ingredients. The bun alone contains 34, says TIME's Melnick. In addition to chemicals like ammonium sulfate and polysorbate 80, the most egregious may be azodicarbonamide — "a flour-bleaching agent most commonly used in the manufactur[ing] of foamed plastics like gym mats and the soles of shoes." According to McDonald's own ingredient list, the bun also includes calcium sulfate and ethoxylated mono- and diglycerides, among other chemicals.
Ooof. What's the meat made of?
Pig innards and plenty of salt. Typically, "restructured meat product" includes pig bits like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, says Whet Moser at Chicago Magazine, citing a 1995 article by Robert Mandigo, a professor at the University of Nebraska. These parts are cooked and blended with salt and water to extract salt-soluble proteins, which act as a "glue" that helps bind the reshaped meat together.
Is it really that bad for you?
Well, it's certainly not good for you. Though "slightly trimmer than the Big Mac," which contains 540 calories and 29 grams of fat, says Christina Rexrode at USA Today, the McRib, first introduced in 1982, still packs in 500 calories and 26 grams of fat. And despite its name, one thing you won't find inside a McRib is bones. The absence of any detectable "rib" is what gives the unnutritious mush its "quirky sense of humor," says Marta Fearon, McDonald's U.S. marketing director.
Sources: Chicago Magazine, McDonald's, TIME, USA Today
My husband always like this until he read what was in it. So glad I never ate this. They keep advertising this and how good it is, until this article came up online. I decided to check it out this story. Do you ever wonder what your favorite fast food is made of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:19 AM

22,663 posts, read 36,747,725 times
Don't even want to read it....my DH told me there's some gross stuff in there - that's enough for me! Don't eat it anyway!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:20 AM

Me neither have not had McDonalds in 1 year and don't plan on it anytime soon.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:21 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,023,102 times
Mcrib isn't much different than almost anything else you eat at fast food restaurants, or even many of the chain sit-down places. Their food is loaded with all kinds of garbage that doesn't have to be in it. I read somewhere that there is msg/modified food starch in almost everything on the Applebees menu, for instance. Why? The McDonalds Angus burger patty has all of kinds of stuff in it you'd never assume would be in a hamburger.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,968,442 times
I guess no one has seen this?

Chicken Nuggets Are Made From This Pink Goop

Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I guess no one has seen this?

Chicken Nuggets Are Made From This Pink Goop
Uggghhh!! I buy the breaded chicken tenders from trader joes and I am almost 99% sure it's real white meat chicken. However for fast food chains I do not doubt they make it from that goop,

Old 11-14-2011, 07:26 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,968,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Uggghhh!! I buy the breaded chicken tenders from trader joes and I am almost 99% sure it's real white meat chicken. However for fast food chains I do not doubt they make it from that goop,
welcome to mass food production.

on one hand, it is disgusting, but on the other, this kind of technology allows food to be much cheaper and accessible for many people.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,994,247 times
What's yer point...just makes the true believers want it even more. Adds danger to the mix.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 AM

525 posts, read 899,034 times
mc ribb yuck, if you eat it you get whats coming.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:41 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,959,827 times
look up the ingredients to anything on the menu at McDonalds or any other fast food joint, and it will be no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island