Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,444,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I don't know, but I;ll ask in an inspector came to the house before closing.
Do you even have the right to send an inspector to another persons house? What if inspector finds a bunch of stuff writes up owner and then you walk away.

Just guessing why owner would go for that. It is cool to take pictures, look online, verify information, talk to inspectors, but bringing one into house could be trouble.

I had one in my house after closing thank god I had escrow money and he was like outlet is upside down type stuff and I was like ok I will flip it around, he said no now that I have seen it you have to hire a licensed electrician and my brother in law does a great job. Thank god I had some escrow funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 2,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Do you even have the right to send an inspector to another persons house? What if inspector finds a bunch of stuff writes up owner and then you walk away.

Just guessing why owner would go for that. It is cool to take pictures, look online, verify information, talk to inspectors, but bringing one into house could be trouble.

I had one in my house after closing thank god I had escrow money and he was like outlet is upside down type stuff and I was like ok I will flip it around, he said no now that I have seen it you have to hire a licensed electrician and my brother in law does a great job. Thank god I had some escrow funds.

hey, the inspector comes from the town or village? I am buying a house in GC village, dun know about how things work in long island at all. and also the escrow money, what is the proper way to set it up? I am going to put in my offer but this house need some work definitely. so now I am worry about permits and CofO, Neighbour selling you out kind of stuff. Could you explain a little?
P.S. Can we not let the inspector into the house? omg I hate seeing these people, to me they are just like vampires who only want to suck out all your blood. thanks in advance.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uynix View Post
hey, the inspector comes from the town or village? I am buying a house in GC village, dun know about how things work in long island at all. and also the escrow money, what is the proper way to set it up? I am going to put in my offer but this house need some work definitely. so now I am worry about permits and CofO, Neighbour selling you out kind of stuff. Could you explain a little?
P.S. Can we not let the inspector into the house? omg I hate seeing these people, to me they are just like vampires who only want to suck out all your blood. thanks in advance.

Depends if town has own building dept or not. For instance in Southshore non-incorporated towns the Town of Hempstead comes in but in Garden City or Rockville Centre their building dept comes in.

Most neighbors only care if you are expanding footprint or working late into night or Sunday morning. Hardly anyone gets a permit for a kitchen or bath remodel.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:24 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uynix View Post

I think you are mixing up a few issues.

Before you close on the house, you can check to see if there are any "open" items and if the house has a CO. If there are open permits or non-permitted alterations, you might then have money placed in escrow to cover these items (or the current owner can correct the issues prior to closing). Up until closing, it is the current owner's responsibility to deal with any inspectors and address the problems that exist. Once you buy the home, any issues become your responsibility.

If there are serious issues to be reconciled, it could potentially cause problems with a mortgage approval.

The other side of this is the work you would like to do after purchasing the home. Depending on the work involved, it may or may not need a permit. If it does not need a permit, and any pre-sale permit/CO problems are resolved, there is no town inspector involved at all.

If the work you plan to do does need a permit, then the inspector will come and review that work when it is being done. If there were no issues with permits/CO at the time of closing, you _should_ be all set. If there are unresolved issues or non-permitted work done prior to closing, the inspector MAY see that, causing the potential for problems.

For example, if a bathroom was added without a permit 15 years ago, you will be required to get a permit. All work will then be inspected according to current codes, which may be different from the codes that existed when the work was done. The newly discovered work could also result in increased property taxes.

Before you purchase a property, you really want to make sure there are no open issues like this. That is especially true if you ever plan to do work which requires a permit/inspection.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:56 AM

I think on LI "open items" is less of an issue. Unless folks are rushing for COs prior to sale.

Also many many homes have non-permited stuff and owner is "gifting" it. I looked at a house last summer that had a 1,400 square foot unfinished basement on record. Owner finished it, put in a full gourmet kitchen, full bathroom, gym and a media room. Said he spent 100K on renovation. Had receipts. He also put in a nice Amish Shed, 12x15 and he had a pool and put in a nice outdoor wet bar complete with tiki hut and lights.

Sale was 100% contingent on you taking it as is no permits or COs to be granted. I talked to my bank and was told no problem at all. We just do the estimate as if basement is unfinished etc and we don't care about sheds. Worst case you may have to make a larger downpayment if estimate comes in low as we are counting no basement.

I see this a lot. Taxes were already pretty high on the house the basement would put it over the top and the full kitchen and full bath in basement might not even be allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island