Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:09 PM

20,845 posts, read 28,170,246 times

Advertisements

Some men and I assuming Taz is a man use hairspray on their hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 10:06 PM

827 posts, read 3,083,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
I had an ant problem last year. They were coming in from the seam of the saddle & frame of my front door. They nested in there. It's a really easy inexpensive fix. Put baby powder wherever you see them coming in, and if you find a nest, put some around it. Leave it there for awhile. They absolutely hate it and avoid it like the plague. By putting it around their point of entry, no more will come in. By putting it around their nest, they can't get out, and none can go back in with food. You wipe out the colony. Cheap, and easy.
Unfortunately I don't see where they are coming in from. That's what is mind boggling. However, I noticed them in my house right after my gutters were changed.

I never knew that about the ants and powder. Thanks for that great tip!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 PM

160 posts, read 315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Unfortunately I don't see where they are coming in from. That's what is mind boggling. However, I noticed them in my house right after my gutters were changed.

I never knew that about the ants and powder. Thanks for that great tip!
You're welcome. It definitely works. I would always see them by my door and million of them on the porch. I lined the doorway with it. They went nuts and within a day, I didn't see them anymore. I haven't seen any since. I cleaned up the powder two weeks later.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:39 AM

249 posts, read 511,950 times
To combat camel crickets, just snap them up with a rolled up towel. I keep a special towel in the basement just for that task. I'm getting pretty good at snapping them on a single try.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:11 PM

122 posts, read 265,712 times
Any update on your camel/cave cricket issue?

They seemed to have disappeared now for me? I moved in to my house September and would always find 2-3 down in the basement. I set up glue traps and would always catch them. Now that its gotten colder I have yet to see one or find any on the traps I laid out.

My concern is I was told that they come into the house when its cold, so where are they?

I know these guys are harmless but they really bug me

Old 12-05-2013, 02:47 PM

429 posts, read 848,977 times
I have a lot of them in my basement. Someone told me they're living in the walls, which is a lovely thought. I think I'm going to wait until next year to see if there are still a lot of them.

My cat loves them. He hunts them all day and night and then rips their legs off to disable them. It's kind of funny - also gross.

I'm hoping they're like cicadas and only come out every few years or so.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:35 PM

782 posts, read 1,410,785 times
two words - glue traps.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 PM

18 posts, read 29,658 times
I call them spider crickets or sprickets. I used to find a few everyday in my basement apartment. I realized they were coming from behind the walls through the spacing around the pipes for the baseboard heaters. I put steel wool around all the pipes & other openings I could find. I also used Ortho Home Defense to spray along the inside & outside perimeters of any gaps I could see along the floor. I only had to spray twice a year & the only sprickets I find are dying or dead ones. These things are harmless but freaky!! EEK!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,804,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
two words - glue traps.
Has worked wonders for me. One got so full I had to replace it. Don't think they work on the larger ones though, as I haven't caught one of those yet. But I also haven't seen any large since putting the trap down.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:00 AM

344 posts, read 714,925 times
I still have them. I killed one yesterday. I must have killed, with no exaggeration, about 50-60 over the past few years. With a paper towel and my hand. They are squishy when squashed, which I do not enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island