Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:18 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
Well it's pretty ghetto over there.
East Massapequa's far from ghetto..it's when you cross Rt.110 into Suffolk and enter "North Amityville" that it gets ghetto. Also Walter made a good point that only 1/3rd of East Massapequa goes to Amityville schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 06:29 PM

160 posts, read 316,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
East Massapequa's far from ghetto..it's when you cross Rt.110 into Suffolk and enter "North Amityville" that it gets ghetto. Also Walter made a good point that only 1/3rd of East Massapequa goes to Amityville schools.
I don't know, I drove down there by Clocks Blvd and the surrounding areas, there were listings over there that touted Massapequa Schools that were misrepresented. It may not be ghetto ghetto, but it's a far cry from anything closer to the preserve.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, 51 Plymouth Drive is in East Massapequa ("Massapequa. NY 11758" mailing address) and, more importantly, in the Amityville Union Free School District.
I know. That's why I picked that location.

East Massapequa consists of the following census tracts:

Just remove the decimal points from the tracts and you can find them on this map: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

East of Carman Mill Road is the more diverse part of East Massapequa, which I assume is the part that goes to Amityville schools (that would be Census tract 522). I picked a location in that area, knowing it was East Massapequa (and he said that he considered the eastern part "ghetto", so I picked a street in that area), but Google Maps goes by the mailing address, so it has it listed as "Massapequa, NY", despite being in the hamlet of East Massapequa.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:37 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I grew up in bellmore and live in wantagh now. I completely agree with SIB here. its really a non-issue unless you are really on the border and on a main access way.

I would say that there are areas of the bellmores, merricks, seaford, and even in wantagh, that I wouldn't buy. Not b/c there is some real hidden problem, but b/c the streets are just less desireable. Everything from smaller lots, to bungalos that were built up weirdly, proximity to major roads/schools, style of houses (the split and high ranch areas). And there are nicer areas, vs less nice areas.

I go by feel, if the area has a good feel, go for it. If you checked all the boxes, but are uncertian about the street or block and feel a little funny... well, think about it, you have to live there once you get a "deal"
Completely agree with both SIB and Chrisk327... the only places in Merrick I would have any concern about proximity to Roosevelt with would be homes right on Babylon Turnpike or Meadowbrook Road near the bridge. Even with those, it's probably not really an issue - although those would be the "less desirable" areas Chris speaks of, whether or not it's because of the geography I'm not really sure.

I'm also not really sure Merrick has even had an issue with higher crime or some kind of "crime spree" anyway. Citing police blotter blurbs from local newspapers isn't a highly scientific method. Hardly everything that happens in every town ends up in those papers, and we don't have real crime statistics kept for every town on Long Island from any official source - it generally only goes by precinct. As far as long term issues, the school districts are never going to be consolidated. People would bulldoze their homes and burn their children alive before sending them to school with poor minority students... and I just can't see Merrick ever deteriorating. Too much money there and Roosevelt has been a crappy area for essentially as long as people have inhabited it - with no ill consequences aside from a couple of negative "The Merrick Patch" blurbs to show for it.

Out of the towns in SE Nassau, IMO it's probably the nicest. The snob factor is high south of Merrick Road, but I think it's much more laid back as you go north. Same goes for Bellmore as well... and there are some horrendously gaudy homes near the water in Bellmore.

Honestly everything east of the Meadowbrook Parkway in Nassau is excellent and you can't go wrong. Good luck!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:05 PM

372 posts, read 740,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That's too close to this: amityville - Google Maps

I'd take any ghetto on LI over that

Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
That's too close to this: amityville - Google Maps

I'd take any ghetto on LI over that
Even this?

Bedell Street at Ranson Place, Hempstead, United States - Google Maps

Old 11-21-2011, 04:50 AM

160 posts, read 316,981 times
Quote:
THAT is ghetto.

OK OK ghetto was a poor choice of words. It's not as nice as Massapequa closer to the preserve.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 AM

29 posts, read 50,937 times
Quote:
That reminds me of Hamsterdam in The Wire. Jeez

Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Lol, dnalsI gnoL would take bloods and crips over low income retirees...because that's who lives in those trailer parks on 110 -- mostly poor old folks. It's probably the most benign part of North Amityville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
THAT is ghetto.

OK OK ghetto was a poor choice of words. It's not as nice as Massapequa closer to the preserve.
Reading over your comments at the beginning of this thread, I made a mistake agreeing with you. Sean's right that it's crazy to throw out the baby with the bathwater in Merrick. I agree with Bellmore/North Bellmore to an extent, just due to personal preference - not because of its proximity to bad areas. But Merrick I would certainly not pass on. It's really a nice area and it's just the extreme west side (where all the good deals seem to be) that could be a little iffy. There's some truth to it being close to bad areas and spillover though. It's more than just a "blurb".

And I'm not sure now if you're talking about all of East Massapequa or just the 1/3rd eastern portion that goes to Amityville schools... Because East Massapequa goes as far as Massapequa High School. It's a bigger hamlet than people realize. Nassau Shores, which is one of the nicest areas on the south shore, is a good chunk of East Massapequa.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Default Why target western Merrick as "bad?" Didn't this happen in South Merrick?

The infamous Kelly and Michael Forbes case:

Long Island wife Kelly Forbes charged with strangling husband

Newlywed Murder: Wife Kills Husband in Long Island: Gothamist

Kelly even got her own episode of Snapped out of it:

Episode 17: Kelly Forbes | Snapped Photos - True Crime Pictures, & Snapped Online Photo Gallery | Oxygen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island