Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:08 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,483 times

Advertisements

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way but is there anybody out there who actually likes the look of chain-link fences? If so then PLEASE explain? I mean, whether you have a chain-link fence or not is 100% your choice and I respect that since you are the king/queen of your castle but can anybody just rationalize to me why a lot of people seem to like chain-link fences?

In my opinion, I think they make the whole entire block/neighborhood look more run-down, industrial and prison-like. I actually don't even think they look that good even when they're new. There are so many more better alternatives that aren't that much more expensive and wouldn't make your house look like a cheap rental. I think it even looks FAR better having no fence than a chain-link fence.

Another thing I hate is when people park on their grass. Whether it be the part of the grass a few inches away from the curb or on the grass next to the driveway. Have some self-respect, people!!

I mean, these aren't expensive fixes, it's just a matter of showing that you at least somewhat care. I hate to be the 'whining suburbanite' but can some of y'all at least understand my perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 02:10 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
old people who leave their homes on the weekend and clog up the roads, supermarkets, malls, etc.

they have all week to take care of that stuff!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:31 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,412 times
People who don't take care of their lawn.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I hope nobody takes this the wrong way but is there anybody out there who actually likes the look of chain-link fences? If so then PLEASE explain? I mean, whether you have a chain-link fence or not is 100% your choice and I respect that since you are the king/queen of your castle but can anybody just rationalize to me why a lot of people seem to like chain-link fences?

In my opinion, I think they make the whole entire block/neighborhood look more run-down, industrial and prison-like. I actually don't even think they look that good even when they're new. There are so many more better alternatives that aren't that much more expensive and wouldn't make your house look like a cheap rental. I think it even looks FAR better having no fence than a chain-link fence.
Well if you have something you need to cage in the yard ... dogs you don't want getting lost and small kids you don't want darting into the street for example ... a fence is a must. I think people choose chain-link fences because they are sturdy, last a long time, and don't require a lot of maintenance.

Quote:
Another thing I hate is when people park on their grass. Whether it be the part of the grass a few inches away from the curb or on the grass next to the driveway. Have some self-respect, people!!

I mean, these aren't expensive fixes, it's just a matter of showing that you at least somewhat care. I hate to be the 'whining suburbanite' but can some of y'all at least understand my perspective?
As for parking on the lawn -- that is inexcusable and truly tacky! How about the person who has an auto graveyard of their own in the backyard and on the front lawn? Years and years ago when I was looking for a rental I saw an apartment in a two-family home in Seaford where you could hardly get to the door because of all the cars in the yard ... it was literally a tiny path to get to the door. When I asked the owner/landlord when he was planning to move the cars, he looked at me like I was insane. He said that he was fixing them little by little but if one goes, he would probably replace it with another. Even though the apartment had a nice fireplace (I love fireplaces!) I still couldn't live there.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
old people who leave their homes on the weekend and clog up the roads, supermarkets, malls, etc.

they have all week to take care of that stuff!
I noticed lately that Pathmark is trying to fix that by giving seniors 5% off on "Senior Appreciation Mondays."

Now there's even less reasons for them to be out food shopping on the weekend.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,157 times
1. in Suffolk County, the lack of sidewalks. I hate how the blocks look without that road for walking in front of homes..

2. in general, the slower pace of drivers - too many SAHMs (soccer driving, suburban stay-at-home moms in giant SUVs) driving 15 mph slower than the stated speed limit. It is just my luck to be the sucker stuck behind this mor*n on a 1 lane road.

3. the endless "Vote for __" signs on roadways every year around election season. I never remember the names when I am actually at the polls. Its retarded.

4. Red light cameras at almost every intersection. When I lived in Queens, we didnt seem to have that many.

5. Over-emphasis on school districts when shopping for a new home on LI. Seriously, I never gave school districts much thought when I was shopping for a condo/co-op in Queens/Bklyn, but in Nassau and Suffolk, its amazing how the SD where a particular home is located in can make or break a potential sale. If it werent for my husband who was born and raised in Nassau County, I would never have pegged homes in Freeport or Uniondale to be any different in price/curb appeal/re-sale value vs. the homes in RVC or Lynbrook. When I first moved out to LI, all the houses in those areas seemed to be the same and the taxes comparable. Now I know why certain neighborhoods are not desirable (due to SD).

There are a few more but they really arent worthy of mentioning. Overall, I am pretty happy here - there were many things I hated about Queens...now that I am a true LI'er (I live in Nassau, work in Suffolk) - it will take a lot of pleading and begging for me to move back to Queens. Its just so much nicer living here.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 11-21-2011 at 03:49 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 03:53 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
2. in general, the slower pace of drivers - too many SAHMs (soccer driving, suburban stay-at-home moms in giant SUVs) driving 15 mph slower than the stated speed limit. It is just my luck to be the sucker stuck behind this mor*n on a 1 lane road.
it's funny....some people here complain that the soccer moms are way too aggressive in their SUV's, lol.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:12 PM

160 posts, read 316,869 times
Quote:

I have a corner property. Nothing irks me more than coming home to find some Moderator cut: language removed
parked in front of my house, dead center, with not enough room to park on either side of him. I give my wife the driveway, we both have SUVs and can fit side by side but it's tight with getting the kids in & out. I leave before my wife in the morning and get home before her in the evening so I just want some friggin space to park without having to play valet when she gets home.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-21-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 04:34 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,034,873 times
Quote:

I like the openess that chain link allows. Less of a boxed in atmosphere that stockade gives you. If its rusty chain link, I understand, but a nice powder coated chainlink is nice in the right setting. JMO

My present neighbors don't actually do anything that bothers me. In the past at my old address one guy would always park in the street directly across from my driveway making entry/exit difficult. Where I live now, and where I grew up there was no overnight parking in the streets, it's so nice. Boats stored in driveways or side yards would also annoy me.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:01 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Quote:

I actually prefer the chain link for a number of reasons. Cost, considerably cheaper than PVC. Maintenance really none, as opposed to power washing or painting. But my number one reason is that we can only have them in the back yard (no fencing in the front of the home unless for pool security and then yo have to plant arborvitae.) I enjoy my yard and in prior experience with both PVC and wood fences, it blocks the breeze in the yard. I have plantings that somewhat hide or blend into a large portion of the fence so to me I have the best of all worlds. Again, in the front of the house I would have to agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island