Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:58 PM

39 posts, read 123,734 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move into Levittown and after calling the utility company to check to see if the home we are looking to finalize a deal on has gas in area the answer was no.

So I'm stuck with just oil and I think what bothers me the most is having to use an electric stove..

Now I grew up with a cousin who lived in brentwood long ago and they had an electric stove and it was horrible as I remember it. I just could not get the jist of how much heat to use or setting to cook on.

Gas was visual.

My question is will I really miss it over time? Looking for similar experiences.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM

160 posts, read 316,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1poet View Post
I'm looking to move into Levittown and after calling the utility company to check to see if the home we are looking to finalize a deal on has gas in area the answer was no.

So I'm stuck with just oil and I think what bothers me the most is having to use an electric stove..

Now I grew up with a cousin who lived in brentwood long ago and they had an electric stove and it was horrible as I remember it. I just could not get the jist of how much heat to use or setting to cook on.

Gas was visual.

My question is will I really miss it over time? Looking for similar experiences.

Thanks.
You will probably miss the basement and your (property) tax dollars more than gas.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,568 times
Yes...I can't wait to buy a home a home that has gas for cooking again. I miss it.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:40 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
Meh, for cooking I would say no big deal.

I just want gas so I can buy a 98% efficient boiler, to cut down on my heating costs.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:25 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Many areas on Long Island don't have gas.

What people do who can't stand to cook with electric, is cook with propane; very common alternative.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:47 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1poet View Post

Gas was visual.

Thanks.
Grew up cooking with gas and have had electric for the last ten years. Took awhile to get used to it but have it down pretty good now. I do miss it sometimes and we are thinking about going to propane for cooking when we renovate the kitchen.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 AM

160 posts, read 316,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Grew up cooking with gas and have had electric for the last ten years. Took awhile to get used to it but have it down pretty good now. I do miss it sometimes and we are thinking about going to propane for cooking when we renovate the kitchen.
I just use the grill in the back yard when I want to cook some meat the right way.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
I would miss it. Electric cooking, waiting for oil deliveries, worrying about the price of it, needing service always on the coldest day of the year - blech no thanks.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:53 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
My mother in law has oil but for cooking she has a propane tank in the back of her house that she gets filled and has a contract for. She bought her house in 1968 and the house came with the propane. The newer electric stoves are alot better than they used to be. Like the new flat cook top by electrolux. I think in the long run you might miss having gas.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My mother in law has oil but for cooking she has a propane tank in the back of her house that she gets filled and has a contract for. She bought her house in 1968 and the house came with the propane. The newer electric stoves are alot better than they used to be. Like the new flat cook top by electrolux. I think in the long run you might miss having gas.

is it doable? yes, you still might miss it. Personally, i like gas for cooking, and now we have it for heat as well. The alternatives are ok, its not hugely weird to not have gas in the house. It probably wouldn't be dealbreaker if everything else was right.

my problem with most of levittown is the no basement thing. I need the storeage, and its easier to upgrade wiring and plumbing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island