Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:43 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
yes, the taxes suck and there are no mountains, other than that, just about everything you write is an exaggeration of the extremes.
Very well said. I had to laugh at 75% of that post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:00 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I guess you voted for "hope" and "change" but whatever. When did New Yorker's become so soft ! He took a potshot @ L.I. and Chucky panties got twisted. Remember there's a lot of truth in humor
I think it got soft with all the Strong Island stuff. Back in the day you'd just smirk and flip the guy off.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I guess you voted for "hope" and "change" but whatever. When did New Yorker's become so soft ! He took a potshot @ L.I. and Chucky panties got twisted. Remember there's a lot of truth in humor
It must be that all of the "cool" NYers moved away.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:20 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Ummmm, I guess I am out of step, but what does RINO mean?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Republican in Name Only

Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Republican in Name Only
Correct, just like John McCain, Mike Bloomberg, and Willard 'Mitt' Romney.

A DINO would be Steve Levy or Joe Liberman.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:56 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Soooooo.............John McCain thinks like a Democrat ?????

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Sorry to say but John McCain is right. If you ever lived in another part of the country you'd understand.

LI has just become an unattractive place. I'm not saying it's armpit of America, but there are many other better regions of the country to live in these days. I am originally from LI and I always will have a soft sport for it, but I cannot live there anymore since living upstate and out west. LI is overpopulated, overpriced, no space, flat, has sky high taxes because of poor tax infrastructure, has horrible traffic. It seems all anyone does there is eat deli food while they gossip and brag about themselves. Most parks don't allow dogs and people have no sense of outdoor recreational activity. Want to go hiking in the morning? Oh wait, they're no mountains on LI. Lets go to the beach? But you'll be stuck in 45 minute traffic, have to fight for a parking space, and end up having your towel two inches away from someone. How about biking? With the exception of Long Beach boardwalk and maybe a few others, there are no nice outdoor biking trails on LI. Most of Nassau County consists of these "turnpike towns" that are denser than osmium, filled with ugly strip malls and levitt homes that are usually right off Jericho or Hempstead Turnpike. North Shore is more spacious and prettier but only millionaires can afford to live there. Suffolk is a little better but it can take more than an hour to get off the island depending where you live. Now there is an SAT scandal, I guess because since people are living on top of each other they feel the need to unnecessarily compete against each other at everything. So they pay other people to take the SAT for their children for them.
Anybody I know who isn't from LI and has visited there does not like it at all and I don't blame them. The overcrowding and overpopulation has led to a poor quality of life on LI and most young people are leaving. The only good thing about LI is pizza and bagels. Places like Denver, San Diego, Tampa, Orlando, DC, and Seattle are way better regions to live in.
ladies and gentlemen....please welcome our newest complainer!

this post had me thinking of the the classic Yogi Berra quote:
"nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
yes, the taxes suck and there are no mountains, other than that, just about everything you write is an exaggeration of the extremes.
good point. I had commented about this anti-LI attitude in a prior post. Like you, I think this is a pretty damn nice place to live. But I don't understand comments like the one McCain made today . You never hear places like Maryland getting dissed. Yeah, it's supposed to be funny and all that, but makes you wonder what people out there really think about us.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:04 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
ladies and gentlemen....please welcome our newest complainer!

this post had me thinking of the the classic Yogi Berra quote:
"nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"
Love it!

Like this quote in the ND link too:
Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy , a Republican , said, "If the senator regrets that Long Island is part of this nation, then we certainly would welcome back all the disproportionate tax dollars we have sent to Washington."

The long-winded speech by JCNNY is just utter nonsense. Good for them - stay off our Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island