Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 AM

744 posts, read 1,767,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucyaussie View Post
so it turns out that long island is the butt of jokes on a national level - who knew?
E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E

It's looked upon as New Jersey without the pizzazz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Sorry to say but John McCain is right. If you ever lived in another part of the country you'd understand.

LI has just become an unattractive place. I'm not saying it's armpit of America, but there are many other better regions of the country to live in these days. I am originally from LI and I always will have a soft sport for it, but I cannot live there anymore since living upstate and out west. LI is overpopulated, overpriced, no space, flat, has sky high taxes because of poor tax infrastructure, has horrible traffic. It seems all anyone does there is eat deli food while they gossip and brag about themselves. Most parks don't allow dogs and people have no sense of outdoor recreational activity. Want to go hiking in the morning? Oh wait, they're no mountains on LI. Lets go to the beach? But you'll be stuck in 45 minute traffic, have to fight for a parking space, and end up having your towel two inches away from someone. How about biking? With the exception of Long Beach boardwalk and maybe a few others, there are no nice outdoor biking trails on LI. Most of Nassau County consists of these "turnpike towns" that are denser than osmium, filled with ugly strip malls and levitt homes that are usually right off Jericho or Hempstead Turnpike. North Shore is more spacious and prettier but only millionaires can afford to live there. Suffolk is a little better but it can take more than an hour to get off the island depending where you live. Now there is an SAT scandal, I guess because since people are living on top of each other they feel the need to unnecessarily compete against each other at everything. So they pay other people to take the SAT for their children for them.
Anybody I know who isn't from LI and has visited there does not like it at all and I don't blame them. The overcrowding and overpopulation has led to a poor quality of life on LI and most young people are leaving. The only good thing about LI is pizza and bagels. Places like Denver, San Diego, Tampa, Orlando, DC, and Seattle are way better regions to live in.
No, I don't understand and I have lived in the "paradise" state for 4 very long years. Let me give you a couple of comments I have experienced myself.
I go back to LI as much as I can to see my kids on LI and be in NY. One time I was going through security in Florida and handed them my ticket and my Florida driver's license. The TSA guy said to me, "WHY do you want to leave paradise (sic) in the winter and go to NEW YORK?" I suppose HE thought it was funny too. I didn't find it funny at all. "I am a NEW YORKER and MISS New York", I said. If looks could kill, I would be dead. He shoved my papers at me.
Coming back, I went through security at JFK. This is NOT a made up story. I was crying because I didn't want to go back to Florida. So, I gave my papers to the TSA guy in NY, and he said to me, "Are you ok? What's the matter?" "You don't want to leave New York?" I was STUNNED when he said that! "Yes, I am New Yorker and don't want to leave NY", I said to him. "I don't blame you", he said. "New York is the greatest place in the world". He smiled at me and patted my hand.
Not everyone feels the way you do. Even people who have, and DO, live in other states.
I found McCan's, and that Florida TSA worker's,comments VERY INSULTING, and not funny at all.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
You have to admit--McCain is still ahead of Palin. At least he knew what continent Long Island happens to be a part of! (His commentary, however, probably hints more at senility than ignorance or an attempt at humor).

Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 AM

414 posts, read 302,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
So it turns out that Long Island is the butt of jokes on a national level - who knew?

My favorite part of the whole story is the CNN bimbo pronouncing "NYers" as if it is a word - "nyers". As opposed to New Yorkers.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
I thought everone knew.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No, I don't understand and I have lived in the "paradise" state for 4 very long years. Let me give you a couple of comments I have experienced myself.
I go back to LI as much as I can to see my kids on LI and be in NY. One time I was going through security in Florida and handed them my ticket and my Florida driver's license. The TSA guy said to me, "WHY do you want to leave paradise (sic) in the winter and go to NEW YORK?" I suppose HE thought it was funny too. I didn't find it funny at all. "I am a NEW YORKER and MISS New York", I said. If looks could kill, I would be dead. He shoved my papers at me.
Coming back, I went through security at JFK. This is NOT a made up story. I was crying because I didn't want to go back to Florida. So, I gave my papers to the TSA guy in NY, and he said to me, "Are you ok? What's the matter?" "You don't want to leave New York?" I was STUNNED when he said that! "Yes, I am New Yorker and don't want to leave NY", I said to him. "I don't blame you", he said. "New York is the greatest place in the world". He smiled at me and patted my hand.
Not everyone feels the way you do. Even people who have, and DO, live in other states.
I found McCan's, and that Florida TSA worker's,comments VERY INSULTING, and not funny at all.
Well said Jo. Personally I dont care about McCain's Joke he's a politician and they do these things all the time. But your last line about not everyone feeling the same way I agree 100%. Guys like mongoose and the poster you quoted just cant understand the fact that some people do actually like it here and get along fine. Just because you are miserable here (or were) dosent mean everyone shares your opinion or view of LI. If happiness is somewhere else for you then by all means go find it!

Do I think LI is perfect? Absolutely not, I get just as frustrated with the insane taxes and corrupt politics as anyone else. But to think that places like FL don't have their own issues is narrow minded as well.

Oh and I had to laugh at JCNNY complaining about how crowded it is here but then rattling off places like Orlando and Tampa, both very crowded cities with traffic and crime issues and entire seas of cookie cutter housing developments. Many of which are riddled with empty foreclosures due to the massive housing crash in Florida. You want a cheap house? Look at FL, in some areas you can find them for the price of a KIA.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Yes, never try to point out that LI is anything but Valhalla. Another "if you don't like LI, leave" post. Well, they left. Awesome. Who needs to improve? Not us... we rock, we rule.
Always room for improvement, its just not as bad as that poster makes it out to be.
And yes, if you don't like it here or anywhere you are, leave. That poster left but now wants to come here to this forum to bash LI, for what? To make themselves feel better about where they live now? Please!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Always room for improvement, its just not as bad as that poster makes it out to be.
And yes, if you don't like it here or anywhere you are, leave. That poster left but now wants to come here to this forum to bash LI, for what? To make themselves feel better about where they live now? Please!
Not as bad!! where do you live when you have to pay an insane amount of taxes and get a property that you could spit across your entire front
lawn yea i think it is that bad.

And lets not even bring up the drug dealing issue

Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
do tell. Is someone selling nickel bags near your favorite handball court?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Not as bad!! where do you live when you have to pay an insane amount of taxes and get a property that you could spit across your entire front

There's no drug dealing in Florida or North Carolina?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:

There are two ferries and numerous bridges and tunnels that can lead you to the promised land you seek. I'll even pay your toll provided you agree to make it a one way trip.

And no, I cannot spit across my lawn, but please let us know when YOU begin to pay property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island