Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 03:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newy0rker View Post
I_Love_LI_but:
- What's considered a high income tax? eg 28% and up?

- Would 700k buy 1800 square foot?

- You have a good point. Walkable to LIRR would be rather noisy. Do people usually drive to LIRR and park?

- If I want bigger and better bang for my buck, which area would you recommend? I would still like to have a 1hr or less commute.

Jshlee. Thanks I will check out Port washington. Would you consider it about an hr commuting to the city?
-- I am not talking about Federal Income Taxes, but Local ones. If you live in NYC you have a local income tax. If you live on Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk counties) you do not have a local income tax. However, be warned, that the property taxes on homes are much higher on Long Island than in NYC. Property taxes on LI will add a significant amount of money to your monthly outlay (above and beyond a mortgage) when purchasing a home that you have to take into account when deciding what you can afford.

-- For some reason realtors never disclose (or even measure?) the square footage of homes for sale in this area. I don't know why, as it is common everywhere else.

-- Most people drive to and park at LIRR stations.

-- Since you seem to want north shore and a short commute, I'd second Port Washington. There are some areas that are not that great compared to the rest of PW but nothing horrible. Once you start looking and find a house you like, just ask on here about the specific area the house is located in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Bayside and Great Neck are only a few miles apart in distance but they are worlds apart in everything else.

In Bayside, your child would be attending NYC public schools unless you choose a private school. The elementary schools in Bayside are considered to be some of the best NYC BOE schools in the city. Great Neck schools are considered to be some of the best in the nation. If you reside in Bayside, once your child reaches HS age, you must apply to NYC high schools any where in the city and the process can be daunting, let alone where your child may end up may not make you very happy. Also, Great Neck is home of the current SAT scandal and offers pre-kindergarten through the district at a nominal cost.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Bayside and Great Neck are only a few miles apart in distance but they are worlds apart in everything else.

In Bayside, your child would be attending NYC public schools unless you choose a private school. The elementary schools in Bayside are considered to be some of the best NYC BOE schools in the city. Great Neck schools are considered to be some of the best in the nation. If you reside in Bayside, once your child reaches HS age, you must apply to NYC high schools any where in the city and the process can be daunting, let alone where your child may end up may not make you very happy. Also, Great Neck is home of the current SAT scandal and offers pre-kindergarten through the district at a nominal cost.
NYC also has technical high schools, and the local schools in Bayside (you get priority when you apply to them over people who live outside the zoned area) are also pretty good. I think both Bayside HS and Cardozo HS have good reputations.

I believe is in District 26, which is considered the best district in the city.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:12 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
NYC also has technical high schools, and the local schools in Bayside (you get priority when you apply to them over people who live outside the zoned area) are also pretty good. I think both Bayside HS and Cardozo HS have good reputations.

I believe is in District 26, which is considered the best district in the city.
Not any more.

Have you ever been in an elementary school in District 26? Have you ever been in an elementary school in GNUFSD? There is a huge difference.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:38 PM

64 posts, read 216,851 times
What's the average property tax in Bayside and Great Neck?

Old 12-03-2011, 10:22 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
In your price range (without looking at size), in Bayside between $5K-$6K, in Great Neck, depending on which part of GN, between $8K-12K. That's based on what's currently available. Think twice as much in Great Neck as in Bayside.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:23 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
That question would be better phrased as "What's the average property tax + income tax in Bayside and Great Neck?"

Old 12-04-2011, 10:09 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
I always thought Bayside would be considered Long Island. It doesn't matter to me if it's not Long Island. =)
I love Bayside/Douglaston if you got the coin.

I prefer it to most of Western Nassau.

Crooks

Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,139 times
What you also need to consider is that although Bayside is a nice area, it's still part of the NYC Department of Education, which means that you would have to deal with middle and high school application process which is tedious and bureaucracy-ridden in addition to the fact that kids have to get high grades on specialized exams to get in. So, moving to a town in Long Island with a strong school system alleviates this problem because once you are a town resident, you attend town schools without an additional headache.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
So, moving to a town in Long Island with a strong school system alleviates this problem because once you are a town resident, you attend town schools without an additional headache.
Bear in mind that many villages and hamlets are in two or more school districts, so the school district may well depend on in which part of a village or hamlet a property is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island