Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times

Advertisements

Where do most LIders originating in nassau commute to within LI? via car where do most LI folk drive to and from at rush hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
When I lived on Long Island I worked in Massapequa (yeah, I worked in Da Riv), Uniondale, Melville, Plainview and Farmingdale (by far the worst commute).

Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When I lived on Long Island I worked in Massapequa (yeah, I worked in Da Riv), Uniondale, Melville, Plainview and Farmingdale (by far the worst commute).
Lake Success? Mineola?

I see a lot of reverse commuters out to Melville,Hauppauge and Islandia too.

Crooks

Old 12-07-2011, 06:17 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Lake Success
Melville
Brooklyn/Queens (Brave souls do drive into NYC, however gas prices caused most people I know to switch to LIRR)
Hempstead
Mineola
Jericho
Woodbury
Garden City/East GC
Farmingdale
Hauppauge
Great Neck

Those are the major ones. Also add all the big hospitals, JFK, Universities (LI + NYC) and local public schools on LI. Many people work locally in their own towns as well.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:35 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Lake Success? Mineola?

I see a lot of reverse commuters out to Melville,Hauppauge and Islandia too.

Crooks
add Ronk too. You do realize that half the stuff on vets highway that everyone thinks is Haup or Islanida is actually ronk right? get walter in on it. A lot of the 454 industrial park is in Ronk.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I worked in Mineola when I got out of college, but I lived in Suffolk then.

Also did a short stint in Lake Success now that you mention it - great commute from GC, awful job. Lasted 3 months.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I have worked and commuted to mineola, East Rockaway, Massapequa. Hempstead (while living in Islip until I got laid off in 2010) now I commute to copiague for a part time job. The 40 in commute from islip to hepmstead was a ***** at times but I liked my job so I did not care.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have worked and commuted to mineola, East Rockaway, Massapequa. Hempstead (while living in Islip until I got laid off in 2010) now I commute to copiague for a part time job. The 40 in commute from islip to hepmstead was a ***** at times but I liked my job so I did not care.
isnt that doable via LIRR to N72/70?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
My firm has an office in Melville so I commute there a few days a week, the other days I commute to the local courthouses in Nassau, Suffolk and Queens. Sometimes I also commute to Great Neck, Garden City or Mineola for other types of hearings, arbitrations, depositions, etc so I am really on the road for 2-3 days a week between 9 am and 2 pm. My husband commutes to the north shore (Manhasset/Port Washington/Roslyn area) every day for work. I love my 45 min - 1 hr commute now because I used to work in midtown and suffered with the LIRR /LIE traffic for several months after moving to the Island (I used to commute from Queens before I got married). Now that I commute by car on the Island, it will take a lot of $$ for me to even consider going back to work in Manhattan. I just hated that commute so much..

Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
My firm has an office in Melville so I commute there a few days a week, the other days I commute to the local courthouses in Nassau, Suffolk and Queens. Sometimes I also commute to Great Neck, Garden City or Mineola for other types of hearings, arbitrations, depositions, etc so I am really on the road for 2-3 days a week between 9 am and 2 pm. My husband commutes to the north shore (Manhasset/Port Washington/Roslyn area) every day for work. I love my 45 min - 1 hr commute now because I used to work in midtown and suffered with the LIRR /LIE traffic for several months after moving to the Island (I used to commute from Queens before I got married). Now that I commute by car on the Island, it will take a lot of $$ for me to even consider going back to work in Manhattan. I just hated that commute so much..
from where in nassau what is your origin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island