Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I don't even know what the heck diagonal siding looks like. Between ogling xmas lights and looking for diagonal siding, I'll be lucky to keep it on the road tonight. Mauve just sounds wrong in general, but I reserve the right to paint my garage door lavender.

Live on the edge...try cerise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
White plastic fence sucks also
Sing it! It looks cheap, barely a step above chain link.

There is no place for plastic on a house or in a yard. Yuck. Just yuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Board and Batten on the diagonal. Blech.
What a perfectly disgusting way to ruin some pretty landscaping. That Japanese maple has been dishonored. I'm surprised it hasn't committed [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku"]seppuku[/URL].

Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:

Board and Batten on the diagonal. Blech.
Eww don't like that at all.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
we had diagonal siding when we bought this house... I don't see what the big negative deal is on it. It looks different from the usual. We've done cedar impressions on the whole front now but that's also a "trend", though it's definitely a step up in looks than vinyl.

And what kinds of fences (it's a must) do you propose people put on the front-side entrances to the back? Wooden fences rot, break, and fall in my experience with 2 homes. We had to actually put a new one up before selling last time - such a PITA.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:36 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
we had diagonal siding when we bought this house... I don't see what the big negative deal is on it. It looks different from the usual. We've done cedar impressions on the whole front now but that's also a "trend", though it's definitely a step up in looks than vinyl.

And what kinds of fences (it's a must) do you propose people put on the front-side entrances to the back? Wooden fences rot, break, and fall in my experience with 2 homes. We had to actually put a new one up before selling last time - such a PITA.
Agreed. That diagonal doesn't look all that bad, kind of Florida "schlocky" but I've seen way worse...and I love the heck out of my PVC fence. Fresh, clean, simple...immediate value boost. Love it, love it.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
In the town of Huntington the town board proposed that everyone take in their pink Falimoges at night time.They soon will issuue brown shirts to home inspectors.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Agreed. That diagonal doesn't look all that bad, kind of Florida "schlocky" but I've seen way worse...and I love the heck out of my PVC fence. Fresh, clean, simple...immediate value boost. Love it, love it.
Love the term schlocky!

PVC really depends on the area and the application. A house around the way has the split rail version and it is in constant need of having the mildew removed as the area is so full of trees making it shady. If someone is going for something subdued and wants the fence to blend, PVC isn't best for that app.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:28 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:

Live on the edge...try cerise.
This is a color people actually paint on their walls inside their home??? Talk about tacky. Reminds me of that show Tacky house. LOL

Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
This is a color people actually paint on their walls inside their home??? Talk about tacky. Reminds me of that show Tacky house. LOL

Sort of a joke, but I am sure there are folks who think it would be wonderful in the boudoir. I've never seen it on a house, but I have been subjected to it for a tacky 80's bridesmaid dress.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:31 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Pantone colors are generally for printing, not for paint....egad now I sound like Walter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island