Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:05 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times

Advertisements

As Elke said, Plainview is a "good" area. The schools are excellent. They are not hiring right now and there probably won't be much hiring in the future. It's really hard without close connections anyway to get into that district. There are other excellent districts you could try in the surrounding area, but right now, there are more cut backs, rather than hiring new personnel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 03:39 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingthe516 View Post
There's actually an ad on craigslist about someone renting out their 550 sqft basement on Garnet Lane (doesn't give their house number) for 900 a month and it has a kitchen/dining room and bathroom in it with a private entrance so you never really interact with the home owners. I'll try to find it so you can contact them.
Just be careful that it's legal! Basements are hardly ever legal as apartment rentals on Long Island. If you get the address, I'd be happy to check it out for you.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:23 AM

283 posts, read 581,533 times
Plainview/ old bethpage is a great area, very desirable school district, and can't beat the location. There are no bad areas. Wonderful area to raise children. Homes are pricey and property taxes are high though. Check out OB for more suburban feel

Old 12-09-2011, 01:03 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Parents bought here in Plainview in 1984 and are still here. After school, wife & I bought a starter in Hicksville but last year finally moved into a Plainview house ourselves because it's a great all-around town, and we want the best [that we can afford] for our kids. The library is supposedly the only 5-star library in NYS this year - that was shared with Port Washington last year, but they are no longer. Shoprite can't be beat (we have two) and I don't even consider myself a food-shopping person - the sales you get there are ridiculous. There are no bad areas as far as safety (from 20+ years of experience). Location-wise, it's great to be central to everything, close to the LIE/Northern State, without having the traffic issues. The negative is the school tax is 7k by itself (minimum for a ranch), but we are grinning and bearing it. Old Bethpage is also a good suggestion, though you have to drive a bit farther for your stores.

We considered Syosset too and while their taxes are generally lower, their home prices were higher so we were getting less for our money. Can't really go wrong either way though. They finally fixed Jackson Ave.

Last edited by ovi8; 12-09-2011 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 01:47 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyhart View Post
Thank you for your reply. I really feel like Plainview would be a perfect fit for us. I'm just unsure of the school district now. I haven't really heard anything about it and I am a middle school teacher and I want to work where they actually have a decent education system. Where I live, the education system is not the best.
Plainview/Bethpage School District Website:
Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District / Plainview Old Bethpage

I work in Plainview and have never seen a bad area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island