U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 03:33 PM

54 posts, read 309,176 times

Advertisements

Which is better?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 PM

19,383 posts, read 24,466,926 times
Hmm I do not know much about stony Brook but I graduated Suny Old Westbury in 1995. I was an American Studies Major. (history) I thought it was a good school and have several friends who have graduated from there. One of them became a Social worker and the other an accountant. It was affordable and that's one of reasons I went. Needless to say My prior jibs had niothing to do with my major LOL.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 32,007,193 times
Intended major?

It would appear that SUNY OW would be best if you were considering education.

SBU for the sciences, hands down.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 PM

418 posts, read 1,010,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post
Which is better?
Define "better"?

It's like comparing apples and... cucumbers (not even staying within the fruit category ).

One is a small liberal arts college, the other- major research university, meaning that the emphasis is on research, on graduate, and postgraduate education, esp. in the physical sciences and engineering; with a decent medical school on site.
Either can be "better" depending on objectives.

Both are part of the SUNY system but could not be more different.
The first (OW) may have a more intimate feel and undergraduate education IS the focus.
The second (SB) is actually a money-making operation, not just an educational entity. We bring more money in research grants (mostly federal) than from tuition (even with 25,000 or so students). Faculty have at least 50% less teaching responsibilities than at Old Westbury because the pressure is to bring money - to run research labs, buy state-of-the-art equipment, hire people and pay them - it's like business operation... Undergraduate education (in the traditional classroom sense) may not be a priority - but this statement should not be misconstrued. Undergraduates have excellent opportunities to be at the forefront of science & engineering because of the active research - sometimes that is a better alternative to didactic education.

Stony Brook is the main money maker among the 60+ campuses of the SUNY system and is often suffering from being part of that monstrosity - not nice to have one pot in Albany, from which most are taking, few are pouring in - a bit like communism.
Jim Simons tried to put some stipulations on his recent donations to SB - to help out with sovereignty.

Anyway, small/liberal arts/strictly undergrad vs. large/science&engineering&medicine/research-focused.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 32,007,193 times
Don't forget the royalty income Stony Brook receives on patents.

Stony Brook University Presents Its NYSUNY 2020 Plan To Governor, Legislative Leaders

Quote:
“Stony Brook has a proven track record for research, innovation and economic development, bringing $10 million to $15 million of royalty income from patents annually.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:48 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,494,014 times
Stonybrook has a better overall reputation than Old Westbury. My husband is a SB alum..he chose SB for a science program even though he had the choice of higher ranked colleges located outside the NY area.

Your chances of interacting with a more diverse student body (geographically, economically, racially) is MUCH better at SB than OWS as well.

So I vote for Stony Brook hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island