Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 PM

148 posts, read 475,284 times

Advertisements

We are planning on it. Was it hard to get the mortgage? We have credit scores above 750.

What did they look for during the VA appraisal?
Does it shy sellers away from us because we will not be putting more than a 10,000 good faith estimate down.

Any comments about VA loans would greatly be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholebydesign View Post
We are planning on it. Was it hard to get the mortgage? We have credit scores above 750.

What did they look for during the VA appraisal?
Does it shy sellers away from us because we will not be putting more than a 10,000 good faith estimate down.

Any comments about VA loans would greatly be appreciated!
Your credit score is excellent. And no, it's not tough to get a VA mortgage if you qualify under their regulations. Just be sure you use a lender with plenty of experience with VA loans. (if you need a referral, send me a DM)

Appraisals have gotten tough all around, and I believe VA appraisals are like FHA appraisals, a bit more nitpicky...

And yes, some sellers will be uncomfortable with the low downpayment. Not because they necessarily care what kind of mortgage you have, but because you don't have much "skin in the game", e.g. with little down, they often think it's easier for the buyer to walk away from a deal than if you put down a more substantial amount.

BTW, I believe you mean deposit on contract? Good faith estimate is an estimate of your loan and closing costs...

Good luck!!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I guess this a loan for Veterans? Never knew they had something like that.VA loan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 PM

156 posts, read 327,140 times
I lost a house i bid on because i had a VA loan and the other person didnt... We bid the same price and the seller went with the other guy. But i am going to keep looking for a house that doesnt mind the va loan... No Mortgage Insurance thats alot u save per month if you dont have the 20%

Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 PM

148 posts, read 475,284 times
Yes no pmi is a great thing and we should also get a small discount in property taxes....

Old 12-13-2011, 07:53 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Yes no pmi is a great thing and we should also get a small discount in property taxes....
so I am assuming either you or your spouse is a veteran?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
The amount of the Veteran's exemption depends on the kind of service. Your local County will have a list that explains the difference.

Every little bit helps!

Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trag672 View Post
I lost a house i bid on because i had a VA loan and the other person didnt... We bid the same price and the seller went with the other guy. But i am going to keep looking for a house that doesnt mind the va loan... No Mortgage Insurance thats alot u save per month if you dont have the 20%

This does put you at a disadvantage if you're in a competitive situation. That's where your agent has to do a "double sell". Hopefully you have a Buyer Agent?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:36 PM

156 posts, read 327,140 times
I never signed a contract with her to be a buyer agent but things seem to be working out well.... I didnt know till recently that vets also get a reduction in prop tax... anyone know how much on average? for a vet with a expeditionary medal?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trag672 View Post
I never signed a contract with her to be a buyer agent but things seem to be working out well.... I didnt know till recently that vets also get a reduction in prop tax... anyone know how much on average? for a vet with a expeditionary medal?
Check with the Town(ship) where you're looking for a house - they'll tell you; lots of variables. Or ask you agent to do the legwork for you if she represents you.

With regard to "buyer agency", have a look at the agency disclosure she had you sign the first time she took you out. What does it say with regard to representation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: