Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 AM

68 posts, read 100,661 times

Advertisements

Just saw an ad on craigslist for a co-op apt. $950 plus electric and cable. (maybe $1150). In the ad it states "W2 MUST show income of 32K".

I make SUBSTANTIALLY less than that and I pay way more than that w/ rent, storage and optimum.

If I made $32k/yr, I CERTAINLY wouldn't be looking to rent a 1-BR co-op... I'd be looking at a 2 bedroom HOUSE!

SMH.

anyway, just wondered if they are legally allowed to request such info. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:59 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Yes, they legaly can.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:59 AM

Ok,.. so they can legally ask for it, but are they allowed to specifically state "Your W2 doesn't say $32K so we can't rent to you"... My numbers CLEARLY SHOW I can afford that place and like I said before, even w/ earned income credit and child support it's still substantially less than $32K. Can they deny my application simply because of that? Of course, if they DON'T say it, then try to prove it......

I TOTALLY understand where they're coming from, and I know all the loser tenants ruined it for us good tenants. I work my asss off to be a good upstanding tenant and it sucks that I get punished for all the loser tenants.. I'm not looking to rent the place NOW, but was considering for next year. I was just wondering. For the most part, I know what they are and aren't allowed to specify when looking for a tenant.

I'm known in my community, lived here 26 years, I have personal and professional references, I can afford it, but my w2 does not state $32K. As a matter of fact, I've never made anywhere NEAR $32k in my 22 years of working.

And I'm sure they're wondering why it's been on the market for almost a year...... lol

Old 12-12-2011, 11:19 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAnjel View Post
If I made $32k/yr, I CERTAINLY wouldn't be looking to rent a 1-BR co-op... I'd be looking at a 2 bedroom HOUSE!

you sure about that?

Quote:
Ok,.. so they can legally ask for it, but are they allowed to specifically state "Your W2 doesn't say $32K so we can't rent to you"... My numbers CLEARLY SHOW I can afford that place and like I said before, even w/ earned income credit and child support it's still substantially less than $32K. Can they deny my application simply because of that? Of course, if they DON'T say it, then try to prove it......
Pay rate isn't a protected class.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
you sure about that?
Absolutely. That's $2666/month, $650/week. I'd be stinking rich! (yes, according to my current income, I'd be rich)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Pay rate isn't a protected class.

Couldn't it be considered discrimination on the basis of income because I can make $500,000/yr and it doesn't mean a hill of beans if I don't pay the rent. How much one makes is irrelevant. It's what's done w/ the money that they make that counts. You can't MAKE someone pay the rent. (after the fact when you take them to court , yes, but not on the spot). They can ask for blood and it's still not going to MAKE someone pay the rent. If I were a druggie and made $100,000, I'd buy drugs before I payed the rent so the w2 is useless.

Sure it weeds out the ones who won't apply because they take the written word for law, but NOTHING in life/the world/the universe is what it seems and this is why I posted this question. Looking for a loophole? Maybe. There's always loopholes.

Last edited by FallenAnjel; 12-12-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Absolutely.
You must not have any other bills. I am above 32k on my W2 and don't even consider a house rental in the cards.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:55 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,290 times
This thread is hilarious

OP, you know that they're talking about gross pay, right? If you "make 32k" you aren't bringing home anywhere near $2666/mo unless it's an off-the-books job. Once the taxes, benefit contributions, etc. are taken out, you're looking at more like $2000/mo take-home. Thanks to our property taxes even a cheap turd of a house will probably run you $1200-1400/mo before utilities, so unless you want to be working just to pay the mortgage and keep the lights on, you need to rethink that position.

I don't blame the landlord at all for making sure a prospective tenant has a reliable stream of money coming in. If you aren't grossing at least $30k then I can't imagine how you'd have over $1100 a month to spend on an apartment.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 AM

225 posts, read 715,848 times
Since you'd be renting a unit out of a co-op, is it possible that this was something set by the co-op board and not the shareholder looking to rent out the apartment? I have been looking for the past couple of months at purchasing a co-op myself and was presented the opportunity to rent with option to buy. Apparently if the building allows its shareholders to rent out their unit after a certain amount of time, the board still has to interview and approve the tenant to whom the shareholder wants to rent to.

Not sure if this goes for all buildings, but I was given this information by two separate real estate agents when I went to view two different co-ops.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:58 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times
You must be getting paid under the table.

32k divided by 12 months = $2666.66 a month.
take a 1/3 for taxes = $1777.77
take out rent = $827.77

You haven't even put food on the table. You can't live on $827/mo. And you have a kid? Impossible on LI.

Show me the math that proves you can live on less than $32k on Long Island. You have something to teach us!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
You must be getting paid under the table.

32k divided by 12 months = $2666.66 a month.
take a 1/3 for taxes = $1777.77
take out rent = $827.77

You haven't even put food on the table. You can't live on $827/mo. And you have a kid? Impossible on LI.

Show me the math that proves you can live on less than $32k on Long Island. You have something to teach us!
The magic of "earned income credit," "head of household" single parent tax status, and other schemes, etc., etc.

Some people get more OUT of the income tax system than they put in in the first place. Seriously! At tax time they are paying off their bills, buying all new furniture or a new car or taking all the kiddies to Disney. Don't believe me? Go ask an RN at a hospital what all the nursing aides/nursing assistants are talking about doing around tax time. It's the government's way of paying off the single parent working poor so it's better to work than be on welfare. Even someone who is on assistance like SSI and doesn't work can file an income tax return and get money back in certain circumstances like when the president announces a tax break / tax rebate for everyone ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island