Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
LOL! Lots of shopping? Where? Until the recent changes (and its still not there), Rockaway Ave is all nail salons and doctor's offices.
Just about every major chain store in the USA is represented in Valley Stream. Or have you never heard of a place called Green Acres Mall?

Quote:
There is nothing to do there for younger people. So you buy a condo with a trestle behind you in an industrial area and then what? You have to go to Rockville Centre for entertainment of PJ Harper's on Rockaway avenue.
I never envisioned VS as a young hipster place although there ARE more bars than just PJ Harper's. However, agreed, Billyburg it ain't.

Quote:
Those condos are a joke..not surprised at all that they are not selling.
They are overpriced. Otherwise, however, they are very nice. If the prices were more realistic, they would sell. The developers need to get their heads out of their you-know-whats and face reality on the pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 AM

200 posts, read 379,884 times
Yep. I grew up there and remember GA as an open air mall :-)

Even growing up there, there was nothing do for teens and younger people. I hear my nieces say the same thing now.

Maybe on the price. Who knows? I personally would not buy a condo right there in that industrial area but whatever, maybe some people would.

BTW.. Hawthorne Avenue (east ) while that section was always industrial did not look like it does now. The woods behind the houses there decimated and gone, the addition of the metered parking behind the houses and other factors have just ruined it. Actually , west hawthorne too--used to be all houses (with exception of Mail Leader offices and the post office).

Old 04-25-2012, 11:52 AM

236 posts, read 473,751 times
Quote:

Even growing up there, there was nothing do for teens and younger people. I hear my nieces say the same thing now.

Maybe on the price. Who knows? I personally would not buy a condo right there in that industrial area but whatever, maybe some people would.

BTW.. Hawthorne Avenue (east ) while that section was always industrial did not look like it does now. The woods behind the houses there decimated and gone, the addition of the metered parking behind the houses and other factors have just ruined it. Actually , west hawthorne too--used to be all houses (with exception of Mail Leader offices and the post office).
I don't know how they expect to appeal to people over there when all any prospective buyer needs to do is drive east on Hawthorne through those industrial blocks to sour on the purchase. Not that it's a bad area, just ugly.

In the eyes of "teens and younger people," there is never anything to do, anywhere. Not every village needs a Restaurant Row and a line of bars to appeal to newcomers -- though it certainly helps. Fact is RVC is 5 minutes away, Long Beach 20 minutes, and the LIRR's easiest commute to Manhattan is within walking distance.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:55 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC51 View Post
I don't know how they expect to appeal to people over there when all any prospective buyer needs to do is drive east on Hawthorne through those industrial blocks to sour on the purchase. Not that it's a bad area, just ugly.

In the eyes of "teens and younger people," there is never anything to do, anywhere. Not every village needs a Restaurant Row and a line of bars to appeal to newcomers -- though it certainly helps. Fact is RVC is 5 minutes away, Long Beach 20 minutes, and the LIRR's easiest commute to Manhattan is within walking distance.
I guess that's why the complex has a big courtyard on the INSIDE.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:19 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:

Actually, there was a movie theater on Rockaway Ave. that I used to go to when I visited Valley Stream. Then we would get pizza or ice cream on Rockaway Ave. I was told by residents that besides the pool, in the 60s and 70s, during the winter, there was ice skating on the lake in the park and that what is now the administration building was a concession which sold hot chocolate to the skaters.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:02 AM

200 posts, read 379,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Actually, there was a movie theater on Rockaway Ave. that I used to go to when I visited Valley Stream. Then we would get pizza or ice cream on Rockaway Ave. I was told by residents that besides the pool, in the 60s and 70s, during the winter, there was ice skating on the lake in the park and that what is now the administration building was a concession which sold hot chocolate to the skaters.
Yep. Went to many movies there as a kid and a teen. One of the worst decisions they made, in my opinion. Now its just more doctors..a diag center or something

Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,550 times
I think that they have eased the parking restrictions for store owners.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 20,104 times
I'd like to add some perspective to this conversation as someone who is interested in moving into these units. I've looked at both Hawthorne Courts, the townhomes on S. Franklin (across from the park), houses in Valley Stream and living in the city/trendy-brooklyn. Ultimately, I decided on the condos. While I understand that they're overpriced, they do suit my current needs/wants more than the other options.

My situation is that I in my early-30s, work in the city and want a short accessible commute; plus I telecommute 1-2 days a week so I need office space at home when I'm not travelling for work. I usually run errands, wash clothes, and do household chores on my work from home days; obviously in addition to doing work. My job is demanding but not inflexible and my current door-to-door is an hour flat; and, as much as I can control it, I don't want it to get longer. I looked at the townhomes on S. Franklin and quite honestly they are in need of an uplift and most seem like they need renovations to the kitchen, bathrooms, flooring, etc. At the cost of renovating/modernizing and not having covered parking it doesn't seem worth it to me. I don't need a private home as that would be far too much house and upkeep for me as I'm not married nor do I have children - both of which may be a few years off. I would much rather not move to the city or trendy brooklyn because of a myriad of reasons (excessive cost for little space, family close by, noise & crowd, being a car owner - I want to keep my car, etc).

So, I settled on Hawthorne. It has a garage, fully up to date units, and is within walking distance from the Valley Stream station. I can get to Roosevelt Field in 20 mins if I want to do serious retail damage, Green Acres/Target/Home Depot/CVS is 5 mins away for quick needs, Rockaway has sufficient shops for everyday items, and I work in the city if I need a specialty item. There's no need to update the unit, worry about parking/snow removal/etc, pay for overpriced gym membership in the city. All-in-all it offers a lot more worry-free living compared to my other options besides moving to the city would have a rent comparable to what I would pay in mortgage with a lot less space or amenities.

I suspect that people like me is the crowd they are looking to draw. Ten years ago, I may have jumped at the chance to live in the city but I prefer a little more quite and relaxed environment now; I like the village feel of it all. So for me, the price of the condo or the over-pricedness of it is actually taking a backseat to what I feel would make me most happy and allow me the best work-life integration/balance. I think marketing this as anything more than a place for those who can afford the city but don't want the city is really the problem with these condos. I can't see empty-nesters moving in or those just starting out. However, there is a market for these units. I'm a little frustrated by the lack of information about them however.

Last edited by BerryD; 05-08-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM

236 posts, read 473,751 times
Just read in the Valley Stream paper this week that there will be a street festival on Rockaway Avenue from Sunrise Hwy to Merrick Road later this year, with participation from a number of Rockaway businesses and other VS organizations. Much of it was put together through efforts from business owners, including the young guy who owns Sip This and runs the new Envision Valley Stream civic group.

Valley Stream street festival in the works - Valley Stream - LIHerald.com - Nassau County's source for local news, breaking news, sports, entertainment & shopping

Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 AM

91 posts, read 201,075 times
Whether you would live in VS or not, it is nice to see a town in western Nassau on the upswing with a real commitment to drawing businesses and revitalizing its downtown area. We do go to Itgens a few times a year and the area is definitely improving. Unfortunately, though, I still wouldn't venture into Green Acres - but my sister-in-law loves going there because she says the prices on items are less than in other malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island