Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 02:56 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post

It's amazing to me how we humans create these so-called problems and then figure the only way to deal with things is by KILLING. Oh yes I forget - 'we are doing the deer a favor by murdering them'. Ridiculous. None of the Hunter's arguments make an ounce of sense to me.
Support Roe v Wade? Use birth control?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:17 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I take it you've never watched an episode of Jersey Shore.
I take it you think all "reality TV" shows are actually real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes, it was. Additionally, more recent owners made a few cosmetic changes to the house.

The deer are completely befuddled.

Although I would not be surprised if they make it to South Nassau. I heard they are in Islip according to lubby. Pretty crazy.. I don't ever remember seeing deer in Islip.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:41 PM

194 posts, read 444,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

Although I would not be surprised if they make it to South Nassau. I heard they are in Islip according to lubby. Pretty crazy.. I don't ever remember seeing deer in Islip.
There's a small preserve in East Islip. Every time I walk through there I've encountered deer.

South Shore Nature Center - Town of Islip, East Islip

Old 01-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Back in the mid-late 80's I would go to Heckscher Park and check out the deer. There was a deer feeding which would occur around 3-3:30 near one of the parking fields. A NYS Parks Dept truck would spread a line of feed about 75-100' in length and then retreat. From the distance of the parking lot, many people would watch the does, then fawn emerge from the wooded perimeter and start to feed. The bucks, ever wary, would hang along the edges. Younger males would saunter out to the feed line.

Deer on FI and Heckscher allegedly have crossed back and forth over the great South Bay during the rare winters when it freezes over.

When I lived in Islip Terrace (89-91) I would see them on the north shoulder of Sunrise and along the exit ramp to NB Connetquot.

I've encountered them years back (mid 90's) in Bohemia on lawns adjacent to Connetquot Park's northern border.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made it to south Nassau, either. There's enough greenbelt along the SSP for them to wander and graze. Once they hit the Bethpage Pkwy, it's an easy romp to Three Streams/Mass Preserve.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy75 View Post
Hello - My husband and I are considering moving to Rutland and we would both work in the hospital. I am a critical care nurse and have a Master's degree. We have two children under 5. I grew up in Norwich VT and my husband is from CT...

We are wondering is Rutland a nice place to live and raise children? how are the school's in the towns like Wallingford and Chittenden and surrounding Rutland?
..... We are looking to buy a farm and raise our children the way we grew up. We are very outdoorsy, love to rock climb, hike, kayak, ride horses and hunt. Also love art and theatre....
From another forum. An intelligent person with a masters who was raised in a hunter-friendly environment YET went on to a career of compassion.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:02 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
I like how humans are being compared to rats.. I mean, seriously?
Anyone that knows anything about human population growth knows that it's going to taper off mid-century, and eventually start declining.

Humans are going to cure cancer and other diseases and potentially stop the massive asteroid (or other natural disaster) that would have otherwise sent every species of animals into extinction. I asked you earlier, what makes you think that humans are an unnatural part of nature?
[youtube]-Na9-jV_OJI[/youtube]

Seriously, though, cancer is not a good example to use if you want to illustrate humanity's alleged brilliance: Most carcinogens are products of human industry.

As for other diseases, we're pretty good at fostering, if not creating, those, too. The reasons I don't eat meat include the drugs and hormones the animals are shot up with and the filthy conditions in which the animals live their short, miserable lives.

Then you have the way we live, especially in the ever-fattening U.S. Type 2 diabetes in kids can hardly be considered progress.

What's unnatural is our continued existence, but I suspect our own stupidity will get the better of us sooner or later. Humans have only occupied the planet for a very short time, relatively speaking. Earth will go on once we manage to remove ourselves from the surface.

[youtube]m8fm3Z7jgWM[/youtube]

Old 01-08-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
[youtube]-Na9-jV_OJI

Seriously, though, cancer is not a good example to use if you want to illustrate humanity's alleged brilliance: Most carcinogens are products of human industry.

As for other diseases, we're pretty good at fostering, if not creating, those, too. The reasons I don't eat meat include the drugs and hormones the animals are shot up with and the filthy conditions in which the animals live their short, miserable lives.

Then you have the way we live, especially in the ever-fattening U.S. Type 2 diabetes in kids can hardly be considered progress.

What's unnatural is our continued existence, but I suspect our own stupidity will get the better of us sooner or later. Humans have only occupied the planet for a very short time, relatively speaking. Earth will go on once we manage to remove ourselves from the surface.

[youtube]m8fm3Z7jgWM
There are other diseases we have cured -- like Polio, malaria, flu, typhoid, measles, smallpox etc. I'm not saying humans are saints..we do eff up a lot of things including our air and water. But that's basically a by-product of progress.

The computer you use, the car you drive, the shelter you live under, the "clean" drinking water you consume that's delivered right to your home, the oil and gas you use, the edible food you eat --- how would that be possible without electricity and other pollutants?
Someone with that kind of warped thinking should be living in the mountains..in a shed, eating berries, leaves, and drinking rain water. Why are you and Ilona taking advantage of all the progress that we've achieved if you think humans are a cancer? Seems kinda hypocritical to me.

Anyway... if humans were not at the top of the food chain, what animal would be? Depending on the region, it would likely be crocodiles, lions, sharks and bears. Earth will go on if we manage to become extinct, but I'm sure every other species will go too if something like that were to happen. Maybe there's more to life than just what's on this small little planet. I bet no lions or crocs would have figured out stuff like this below...

we are very small - YouTube

Hubble Deep Field: The Most Imp. Image Ever Taken (Redux) - YouTube

Old 01-08-2012, 10:50 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I'd wager a super insect would replace us on top.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'd wager a super insect would replace us on top.
Yeah, 10-foot wide spiders and mosquitoes -- surely they would be more compassionate than humans .

Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
There are other diseases we have cured -- like Polio, malaria, flu, typhoid, measles, smallpox etc. I'm not saying humans are saints..we do eff up a lot of things including our air and water. But that's basically a by-product of progress.
We have not "[URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cure"]cured[/URL]" those. Scientists have developed techniques and vaccines to prevent people from contracting them, or to treat people who have. In fact, there is no cure for polio, the flu, or the measles but time, as they are all viral. Once you have a virus, there is nothing you can do about it but treat some of the symptoms while you let it run its course. With the exception of smallpox (and believe me, the CDC has some in storage), we have not even [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/eradicate"]eradicated[/URL] these diseases. People still get them, and people still die from them.

Treatment, prevention, and eradication are all three very different things. Not to throw this back in your face or anything, but I will borrow some phrasing from you and say that "anyone who knows anything about" science or medicine knows the difference, and which terminology to use.

Last edited by Yzette; 01-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: explanation of viral infection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island