Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Because we are NOT (I repeat NOT) at the top of the 'Food Chain'. This is the part that you do not seem to get. Humans are very arrogant and for some unkown reason think they have 'Dominion' over every other life form. Not true.
No, I don't think you understand it. What is above the human on the food chain? I don't see bears hunting humans, nor do I see sharks laying human traps.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
No, I don't think you understand it. What is above the human on the food chain? I don't see bears hunting humans, nor do I see sharks laying human traps.
Didin"t they just make a movie about a shark taking a girls arm.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:59 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Didin"t they just make a movie about a shark taking a girls arm.

????

Old 01-09-2012, 03:00 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
A lot of commentary on the thread. I don't have much time, so do forgive if this darts all over the place. BTW, I'm the one who said to

People do still get and die of those diseases, Peq. It's not common in the U.S., and polio is much more rare than measles, but the vast majority of the diseases Americans inoculate themselves against are alive and well in other parts of the world. What frightens me is something Kayfouroh pointed out: The anti-vax crowd. I would hate to see a resurgence of those disease because some parents are basing their decisions on a study that not only had no scientific merit and never should have been published in the first place, but has since been recalled and declared a fraud. As far as I'm concerned, Jenny McCarthy is guilty of fomenting a crime against humanity. Hey, I may be a bit of a misanthrope, but I don't want children to die because their parents believe a bubble-headed comedienne whom no one would ever have heard of if she hadn't shown the world her fake rack.

Maybe you do. I don't. Humanity is not at the top. We share the top with other creatures. Big diff.

BTW, I'm the one who made the comment about chest-thumping.

Technically, humans have the capacity to be omnivores. They also have the ability to peel paint chips off the all and eat those, too. That doesn't make it healthy.

However, you are right, it is not necessary to be omnivorous. I wouldn't even recommend it. In fact, I'd caution against it, particularly if the animals are factory-farmed. Ethics and cruelty aside, most meat in the U.S. is comes from very nasty places. Never mind the antibiotics and hormones people are ingesting, the animals are often sick anyway and they live in filthy conditions. I don't go around announcing my vegetarianism, but whenever I hear people say "chicken is good for you," I throw up a little in my mouth. Yeah, chicken is good for you if you are under the delusion that it is to your nutritional advantage to consume a bird that was shot up with heaven-knows-what and fed its own feces. Never mind that poultry giants like Perdue are responsible for some of the worst water pollution owing to runoff from their sites. If you're a hunter, you'd better hope your deer isn't drinking from a source of water that was contaminated by Perdue or its contractors.

Indeed, factory farming can be a valid argument FOR hunting, as far as I'm concerned. I realize that there will always be meat-eaters. That's just the reality of it. But if someone held a gun to my head and told me to eat meat or die, I'd request that the meat at least not come from a factory farm. The mere thought of it and what goes on there turns my stomach. I'd be far more forgiving if the option included meat taken from a cow that died instantly with one shot to the head. (And then I'd wrest the gun from the person threatening me and dig out my favorite recipe for fava beans--with a nice Chianti, of course.)

Plus, it would be funny to see some of these Whopper-eaters have to go outside and actually chase after and get their food. My guess is that if people had to hunt the meat they eat, there would be a LOT more vegetarians in the world.
Another brilliant post. The problem is that so many people misunderstand those who are compassionate like us. Hey I would risk my life for my child and there was no way she wasn't going to be vaccinated. Knowing full well that some of these vaccines are tested on animals. We aren't perfect, but I will to limit an animal suffering in as many ways as I can. And indeed Factory Farming is disgusting and cruel. Nor do I wear fur or leather. But the idea of stalking and killing animals who are free and 'living their lives' saddens me greatly. It's not that I think they are 'human' but I believe they feel pain, feel emotions and don't want to lose their lives.
Oh and as for this food chain business, we are actually in the same league with Omnivorous animals and neither are at the top. So I really don't understand where that notion comes from. I suppose it's just more human arrogance.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Oh I understand perfectly well. We humans are actually on the exact same level along with other animals (Herbivores, Carnivores, Omnivores). You seem to have an extremely limited understanding of a food chain.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Because we are NOT (I repeat NOT) at the top of the 'Food Chain'. This is the part that you do not seem to get. Humans are very arrogant and for some unkown reason think they have 'Dominion' over every other life form. Not true.
Oh I am sorry -- I forgot that we are tertiary consumers as opposed to Quaternary (carnivores.) My bad. We're 2nd down the food chain in terms of heterotrophs.

By virtue of your herbivorous ways, you have personally demoted yourself to a primary consumer -- a full two links below us tertiary -- at least you're still a heterotroph.

http://www.oxfordreference.com/media/images/foodchain.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 PM

How have humans affected the food chain? When we spray pesticides, we put the food chain in danger. By breaking one link on the chain means all of the organisms above that link are in threat of extinction (like the domino effect). By hunting animals nearly to extinction, everything above the animal in the food chain is put in danger. A 'chain reaction' in the food chain can be perilous! Since the food chain provides energy that all living things must have in order to survive, it is imperitive that we protect it.

Can any of you finally get it now? We are NOT at the top of ANY food chain. Never can be, never will be. You are all somehow confusing a food chain with who you think has more power.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Oh I am sorry -- I forgot that we are tertiary consumers as opposed to Quaternary (carnivores.) My bad. We're 2nd down the food chain in terms of heterotrophs.

By virtue of your herbivorous ways, you have personally demoted yourself to a primary consumer -- a full two links below us tertiary -- at least you're still a heterotroph.
Now do you see the word HUMAN at the top?
We are animals just like all the other animals.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Now do you see the word HUMAN at the top?
We are animals just like all the other animals.
The food chain is broken down by virtue of who eats what or who.

Humans are omnivorous; we are considered tertiary consumers.

Bunnies and deer are primary consumers.

Humans eat bunnies and deer, but bunnies and deer do not eat humans.

With respect to diet we are not like all the other animals, just the omnivorous ones. If you opt to dine like a bunny or a deer, that's your prerogative -- don't go trying to convince those of us who enjoy meat that the 8,000+ years of hunter-gatherer instilled in our genetics is wrong.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:17 PM

The following food chain is specifically for our resident Zombie expert, HotKarl:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island