U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:13 PM

247 posts, read 486,837 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I currently work for an agency here on Long Island. I've been offered a new job at another agency. I am putting my resignation letter in today (giving one month's notice). I received a letter from the new agency welcoming me to the team, but I have not signed any contract nor have I received documentation indicating what my position is or any of the details of the position. I asked my new supervisor if I could get something saying that I have been/will be hired, but she said that she could not provide such a letter. However, she has signed me up for orientation and I've gotten a physical and associated documentation that I need to start the position.

Should I worry that they could turn around and say that they're no longer offering me the position? I mean, it seems unlikely, but I don't know why a company wouldn't allow me to sign a contract before starting or going to an orientation. Is this a common practice?

Also, if you're required to give a month's notice, do they mean a month or is four weeks acceptable? If I resign today, do I have to work until Jan. 14, or would Jan. 11 be ok because that's four Wednesdays from today? I've read varying information online, and just thought maybe someone had some insight.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:38 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,392,817 times
There is no legal requirement to give notice. You can just tell them to take the job and shove it and walk out the door. Of course, you don't want to burn your bridges so that is unwise to do.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:40 PM

22,165 posts, read 34,053,206 times
Contracts are not normal practice in NY, unless you're a teacher or something like that. They can pull your offer at any time, but it's not likely they will. NY is an employment at will state. Either side can take or leave a job at any time.

IMHO giving 4 weeks notice is not a good idea. There's no reason for it, and once you give your notice your employer can ask you to leave the premises immediately (see "employment at will" above). And even if you do stay, both sides will tire of each other - the things you don't like will start to glare and you'll be tempted to slack off. Your employer knows this and will pile on the work to keep you busy. I've never known anyone who gave more than 2 weeks notice who ended up happy they did.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:45 PM

I am required to give four weeks, as per my contract, or I will lose my untaken vacation days (I have more than 3 weeks for the year.)

Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 PM

22,165 posts, read 34,053,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDaphne View Post
I am required to give four weeks, as per my contract, or I will lose my untaken vacation days (I have more than 3 weeks for the year.)
Oh, that stinks. If it's 4 weeks than go by that, not "1 month".

Good luck with the new position.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:52 PM

Ahh, I mean, I am required to give a month.

Thanks for the good luck

Old 12-14-2011, 12:53 PM

4,566 posts, read 8,246,865 times
what type of job is this that you're signing contracts?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:56 PM

A non-profit agency

Old 12-14-2011, 01:00 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,884,422 times
I understand the eagerness to move into your new career, but I wouldn't rush this. You might end up unintentionally burning some bridges...

Jan 11th is a Wed, and 14th is a Sat. I don't know your work schedule, but most companies start on a Monday. (What company starts on a saturday!?)

At my company, I got paid the first day I was here, which was Orientation, registering, 401k, health, network access, etc.. When is this? I would put this as your start date. If this is within the 1 month window there could be some problems if the company is reluctant to let you go...

There has got to be something they can give you in writing that states you secured this new job. Didn't you exchange some correspondance in negotiating your orientation date, salary, or benefits? A Letter of Employment is pretty standard practice. This should state your start date and your salary.

Something smells fishy if the company can still backout on the job offer after orientation... I'm sure you feel the same way since you're asking about this on a public forum. I'd tell them you can't resign from the current position until you have a firm commitment from your new employer.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:09 PM

My company's work week starts on a Saturday, lol. I also happen to work on a Saturday. Jan. 17 will be when I go through all of the stuff that you have mentioned. This will be the day that they told me I'll be signing the contract and getting my benefits information. I just wanted something UNTIL that point... I have a paper saying that I am welcomed to the team, and I have forms saying that I am registered for orientation on the 17th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island