Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Is this pure garbage or what?

Constant outages. AOLish speeds.

Anyone else out this AM?

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 10:07 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
I had it before FIOS came to town a few years back. I doubt they've improved upon this ancient technology since then. I would get constant outages in rain storms. Clear weather was ok though. I really had no choice at the time since Optimum Online was capping despite following the rules. I gave them the middle finger and went to Verizon DSL. Now that FIOS is around, OOL can't afford to cap people anymore... something they never admitted to. Can't stand Cablevision.

Rocky Point doesn't have FIOS?!

Old 12-18-2011, 02:28 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
DSL until last year. The service kept getting worse and worse until it was at the point where the service did not work more of the time than it did work. It went out every time there was snow, rain, and wind over 25mph. The repaimen told me that there was not much they could do since the outside lines needed to replaced and required some major repairs and Verizon was not going to invest in that since they were focusing on FIOS maintenance instead. It was cheap but then it got to the point where since it wasn't working 60 percent of the time, it wasn't worth it and I had to bite the bullet to get a more expensive internet provider.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:32 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
Haven't had regular Verizon DSL but have FIOS and it is wonderfully fast and reliable. Irene came and went and FIOS kept on chugging. The past year has been outage free for us. If FIOS is an option in your area, you really should consider it.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:56 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Is this pure garbage or what?

Constant outages. AOLish speeds.
This makes sense, because DSL and AOL are both products of a bygone era. No FIOS or Optonline where you live?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:15 PM

Was the not FIOS title unclear?
Thanks for nothing.

Looks like I'm sticking with OOL

Crooks

Old 12-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
DSL until last year. The service kept getting worse and worse until it was at the point where the service did not work more of the time than it did work. It went out every time there was snow, rain, and wind over 25mph. The repaimen told me that there was not much they could do since the outside lines needed to replaced and required some major repairs and Verizon was not going to invest in that since they were focusing on FIOS maintenance instead. It was cheap but then it got to the point where since it wasn't working 60 percent of the time, it wasn't worth it and I had to bite the bullet to get a more expensive internet provider.
Thank you.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,957 times
Crook I am afraid to tell you it's part of a grater conspiracy that your DSL is not working.
1. Things they tell you when you call. We will put a trace rout on the line and get back to you in 24/hrs and oh we are not going to fix it because the technology is too old and we are not sure what's going on it seems to be working from out end. and on and on and on.

With what I have said so far and will say I will tell you that you can still purchase this product from Verizon so they are still signing up customers and once they get them tell them the product sucks and such.

My biggest problem with Verizon was every time I called for support someone would try to sell me FIOS and telling me how much faster it would be and how much better the product is. LADIES AND GENTS YOU'VE HAD A FAST ONE PULLED ON YOU. I remember working for companies that ran a building on less speed than you get from FIOS currently and they made billions every year. I was upset about giving up my DSL because of the speeds I was getting. There are no more old lines in the area anymore except for the ones that come to your house everything else rides the same back bone back to Verizon thus my DSL speed was over 5mb so I was getting almost FIOS speed without paying extra money but I guess the powers that be did not like that. Well when I finally broke down and got FIOS of course you had to get the triple play which meant i had to give up my Direct TV and NFL package the guy came to my house to do the install and guess which lines he used to connect my FIOS to? The same ones that ran to my house he did not spend much time on the pole and I asked him and yes same lines.

Crooks i am telling you now save yourself the headache they will not fix it they want you to switch to FIOS they are playing with you. I had to switch because I worked from home 1 day a week and my service would go down exactly then.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 AM

294 posts, read 743,708 times
I've had Verizon DSL for about a year and haven't experienced any outages. The speeds over the phone connection on my PC are slow, but I hardly ever use the PC; instead I use the wireless connection with a laptop and get better speed. I'm just a contrarian, so when they keep pushing FIOS, that's all the more reason for me to resist and hang onto the cheaper option a while longer.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:28 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,957 times
You say the speeds over the phone connection. You mean the speeds you get when you connect your pc via RJ45 to the router is slower? Well the wireless speeds should be the same because it's going through the same Routing/Switching device. I would say as long at your DSL works don't switch great speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
I've had Verizon DSL for about a year and haven't experienced any outages. The speeds over the phone connection on my PC are slow, but I hardly ever use the PC; instead I use the wireless connection with a laptop and get better speed. I'm just a contrarian, so when they keep pushing FIOS, that's all the more reason for me to resist and hang onto the cheaper option a while longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island