Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Latest info from them is it takes five homeowners to run the line for free.
I'm sure that's subject to change without notice
Elke I love the subject to change with out notice.

The op should know that if you pay them to run the line and one of your neighbors closer to the original run get's gas within a year the refund you back your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:41 AM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
What are the estimates to then run the gas lines throughout the house to the ovens, gas ranges, etc. And buy new gas appliances?

Then I have to dump my oil based burner for gas? And buy a new gas furnace?

Then I have to pay to have my underground oil tank removed (no house will sell with it) and possible cleanup costs if the tank is leaking?

How much additional costs is one realistically looking at with this conversion?

Oil is so high now its an attractive prospect but its quite a bit once you factor in all of these things, no?

Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
What are the estimates to then run the gas lines throughout the house to the ovens, gas ranges, etc. And buy new gas appliances?

This is between you and your contractor that you hire to do the job. When i did research it seems that most people would get the permits to run up to the boiler and then have the contractor come back in and do the rest when they get the money or outside of the town knowing.(i am not sure what permits you need but your biggest worry here is making sure the person doing the job is lic and national grid would not work with anyone that's not)

Then I have to dump my oil based burner for gas? And buy a new gas furnace?
Some newer oil burners do work with gas. My neighbor who did not run the line because of cost when he moved in was able to convert his burner to gas once i got the line ran to my property and it cost him about 15-20k less. Your stove you can sell on cl and take that money and buy a more efficient gas stove if you cook a lot you will see the numbers go down but LIPA might send you hate mail.

Then I have to pay to have my underground oil tank removed (no house will sell with it) and possible cleanup costs if the tank is leaking?
The company i used to do my conversion did the whole thing all at the same time. The suggestion is not to remove the old tank unless it's in the house. They dig down cut a hole in the tank and drain the oil and fill the tank with sand or foam. Digging that up can unearth so many issues and you still get a cert from the town. Suffolk is easier than Nassau on this one.

How much additional costs is one realistically looking at with this conversion?
If you have the line in front of your home the cost is not that much unless you go with a condensing boiler. Most regular high efficiency boilers with maybe 2 or 3 zones will pay off very quick. My home is large so when I first moved in I used a 500gallon tank in one and a half month but that was because it was inefficient. My gas bill last month with 5 people home all day and 3 1/2 baths was just over $220 and that was the estimate I really used less so that will be adjusted next month.

Oil is so high now its an attractive prospect but its quite a bit once you factor in all of these things, no?
Do your research and hire the right people and you would never look back.

How big is your tank and what's your average bill per year?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
Thanks for the responses.

My tank is 550 gallons. Last year I spent around $3200, this year its gone up so I am likely looking at closer to $4000.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:

My tank is 550 gallons. Last year I spent around $3200, this year its gone up so I am likely looking at closer to $4000.

You sound exactly like me. Man oh man do I remember that pain. I would be over $4000 now if all the people were in the house. At one point I had 11 people in my home. Yea i went to work just to pay for the heat.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:59 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:

Mine was 550 gallons also, glad I switched to gas in Ocotber, I could not fathom shelling out nearly $4,000 for oil

Old 01-03-2012, 06:10 PM

592 posts, read 919,261 times
It cost me $4700 after rebate to convert this past April. That included removal of 275 gallon oil tank in basement, removal of oil burner/boiler, installation of stainless chimney liner in existing clay chimney and Burnham ES2-4 gas boiler. 4 of my neighbors converted too so no main line fees.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Mine was 550 gallons also, glad I switched to gas in Ocotber, I could not fathom shelling out nearly $4,000 for oil
Depends on the size of the house.
You mentioned yours is a 2 BR ranch. No idea what size house TVR 1997 has . If it's a big colonial, it's not all that much

Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM

112 posts, read 257,612 times
Quote:
Latest info from them is it takes five homeowners to run the line for free.
I'm sure that's subject to change without notice
Hmmmmm definitely NOT subject to change without notice. This has been their policy for MANY years. Ever since they were....................dare I say it.............Lilco

Of this I am VERY certain.

Talk with the people in the gas marketing group of National Grid and they will do what they can to help you. Anything to do with the lines inside your home you need to have a licensed plumber take care of. National Grid can recommend contractors but ultimately you have to choose the one you want.

We changed over from gas to oil in 1998 and we have never regretted it!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Depends on the size of the house.
You mentioned yours is a 2 BR ranch. No idea what size house TVR 1997 has . If it's a big colonial, it's not all that much
my house is 840 sq ft not including the basement and attic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island