Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 PM

75 posts, read 292,501 times

Advertisements

It is more affordable now than ever although the taxes are ridiculous. There are lots of houses in your price range and even though the LIE and Northern State are like parking lots at rush hour, at least it is a straight shot as opposed to going south and then east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 12:59 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTDx View Post
We are looking for a town similar to Bellmore and Levittown, nothing too dense. My mother used to live in Plainview and from what I know that's the type of place we'd like to move to. My job will be around Cambria Heights.

Twingles-Where we live doesn't have to be similar to Oak Island, but we wouldn't mind it being similar either. How's Long Beach? Would you say it's similar to Oak Island?
Your in luck since Cambria Heights is right on the boundary of Nassau. This may mean you can go out a little further. No LIRR train however.

I also like the Plainview-Old Bethpage area. The Seaford-Oyster Bay expressway makes traveling between both the North and South shores a snap. In addition to some of the places mentioned, you might want to check out Bethpage, the Farmingdale area (cute village), the Massapequas, Plainedge, Seaford, Wantagh, Merrick etc.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:43 PM

283 posts, read 581,278 times
I suggest plainview/ old bethpage with 500k

Old 12-31-2011, 02:08 PM

150 posts, read 289,179 times
Congratulations on your new life up here. Don't give up hope, LI is fairly expensive but it is do-able for you.
stay away from Levittown.
I am moving from Syosset (just north of Plainview) on the North Shore of LI (an excellent school district, it is the reason I bought here -besides liking the North Shore atmosphere better than South Shore...) to NC for my job. We have been really happy here. As to what you can find around here, we are just putting our 4 bed /3 full bth on the market in your price range.
Nice homes in your range in the better districts are hard to find but they are out there...

Old 12-31-2011, 02:25 PM

6 posts, read 8,267 times
Thank you all for your help.

Can someone please tell me what's so bad about Levittown though? It seems like such a nice town and I found a home I really like there, but everyone tells me to stay away. Is there a lot of crime there? Bad schools? I saw Island Trees being rated as a good school on a website not too long ago.

Dilaurorn- is your house on a website where I can look at it? If so, I'd really appreciate the link.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:52 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
If you can afford 500k for a house, levittown is not the place for you.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:57 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
If you can afford 500k for a house, levittown is not the place for you.

Yep. Basically, Levittown is a fine choice if your budget is pretty limited and you still want to be in Nassau with an average school district and neighborhood. But if you have 500k to spend you'd fair much better in the areas mentioned, Massapequa, Wantagh, Seaford, Bellmore, or Merrick. All are known as having above average districts and are more well regarded than Levittown. Since on LI school district is the #1 thing buyers take into consideration, your resale value would be much better elsewhere.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:21 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Levittown is just....meh. There is nothing wrong with it, but it's got no CHARM so to speak. Middle class, a lot of blue collar if not workers then mentality. It's really got nothing distinctive about it. You can spend $500K there if it's really important for you to have the biggest McMansion in town.

Now 10 posters will come on here and call me snobby, but I'm just trying to lay out for you what others are kind of dancing around. You can do much better in your price range. I really don't see you coming here and going "yeah Levittown - this is the @$#&!!"

Long Beach is probably going to be much more urban that you're used to. I would stick with the areas others have mentioned.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:00 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Levittown is fine and has decent schools, but it is a middle-middle class area. 500K would not be warranted for that area. You would be overspending and if you ever wanted to sell, most propsective homebuyers would be looking for something much less. As for 100-200K as a price range, you can forget that. Not possible. Bellmore and Bellmore schools are bit more upscale than Levittown, but still not an upscale area. However, the closer you get to the water, the higher the housing price. If you are going to spend 450-500K, it would be a better investment to go to a "wealthier area." You know how they say in real estate, you don't want to buy the nicest house on the block which is what you would be doing in Levittown. Plainview sounds good for you and has an excellent school system. I prefer the Northern State/ Grand Central during rush hour than the Southern State too. You could also look at New Hyde Park and Floral Park which would be even closer and also have good schools. You might even find something in Syosset or East Williston. You have a lot of options at 450-500K for good neighborhoods and good schools. At 350, the pickings are slimmer. Under 350 and you are looking at "iffy" neighborhoods or fixer-uppers. Long Beach is a mixed bag and the schools are so-so. It's also more remote and further from any parkways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island