Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 AM

93 posts, read 100,364 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I maybe moving back to LI in a couple of months. I last lived there 10 years ago. I never owned any firearms on Li when I was there, however, since leaving I've aquired two handguns along with one rifle and one shotgun. Can any of you good folks give me insight on the registration process on LI. I basically like to keep things as simple as possible and dont like headaches. Would it be easy to get these things registered on LI and in NY State, or should I just sell them before moving back and buy new ones when I move there? Thank you for your time and consideration in reading/responding to this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
I would sell them and buy new pistols when you move here and receive your NYS pistol permit (a 6 month process - they purposely delay it as long as possible so they can deny as many people as possible for trivial reasons). Which county are you moving too?

Rifles and shotguns are good to go ... thankfully.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:37 AM

93 posts, read 100,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I would sell them and buy new pistols when you move here and receive your NYS pistol permit (a 6 month process - they purposely delay it as long as possible so they can deny as many people as possible for trivial reasons). Which county are you moving too?

Rifles and shotguns are good to go ... thankfully.

Thanks for the response sir. I havent decided yet. Either eastern nassau or Western Suffolk.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:40 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEssex View Post
Thanks for the response sir. I havent decided yet. Either eastern nassau or Western Suffolk.
Ah ok, in Nassau the Nassau County Police handle pistol permits, in western Suffolk the Suffolk County Police do the permits and in eastern Suffolk the Suffolk County Sheriff does pistol permits. Overall, the Suffolk County Sheriff is seen as the more lenient and open-minded of the 3 agencies when it comes to pistol permits. They are the only one that will issue concealed carry to mere simple civilians (who have a valid reason).

Old 01-01-2012, 10:41 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,562 times
Send them to a gun dealer or licensed gunsmith rather then sell them and do the paperwork and then/if you get it retrieve them, or then sell them

Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEssex View Post
Hi folks,

I maybe moving back to LI in a couple of months. I last lived there 10 years ago. I never owned any firearms on Li when I was there, however, since leaving I've aquired two handguns along with one rifle and one shotgun. Can any of you good folks give me insight on the registration process on LI. I basically like to keep things as simple as possible and dont like headaches. Would it be easy to get these things registered on LI and in NY State, or should I just sell them before moving back and buy new ones when I move there? Thank you for your time and consideration in reading/responding to this thread!
The long guns don't need to be registered and can be legally transported to the state. However, handguns require permits to purchase and keep. Depending upon which type of permit you're looking for (premises, target, carry), the process can be long and complicated and there's no guarantee you'll get the type permit you seek. And you can't bring the handguns you currently own to Long Island and wait for the permitting process to be completed. You need to keep in mind that unlike most other parts of the country, Long Island jurisdictions require permits simply to own the handgun; carrying it is a whole other issue.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
you really cant do much with 6 months to go.

you really have to sell them to your dealer and do it before you get here as once you do you have no permit and they cant buy your guns.

the problem is they most likely arent going to buy them from you and then sit on them for 6 months. traditionally the way an out of state transaction works is you sell them to the dealer in your state.
he sells them to the dealer here who marks it up for the paper work and then sells it back to you.

they wont warehouse them for you for 6 months

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-01-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 AM

468 posts, read 826,828 times
Depending on what state you live in now, you can sell them privately and maybe get a better price than you could get from a dealer.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:26 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
the important thing is whatever you do you must do it while you have a valid permit.

my buddy was late renewing his permit in nyc. they revoked his permit and wouldnt let him renew it now.

he had to give them his guns with no chance of selling them since he had no permit and they were considered not legal now.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,592 times
Anyone in office that thinks that all this BS isn't an infringement on our Constitutional rights is a moron. Guns are easy to get, unless you want to legally get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island