Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 AM

37 posts, read 136,382 times

Advertisements

Would love to know anyone's opinion on general education in both area schools. We are considering both areas, and would love to hear the experiences of posters who have sent their children to these schools.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drwhitefps View Post
Would love to know anyone's opinion on general education in both area schools. We are considering both areas, and would love to hear the experiences of posters who have sent their children to these schools.

Thanks!
Both are great districts. My son is at Guggenheim Elementary In Port Washington and the school and teachers are great! Manhasset is also an excellent district. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

Yes Port Washington is more "diverse" and some people still have an issue with that (sigh), but believe me it is a non-issue, it is an excellent district.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:52 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Elementary schools aren't really something one should base their decision on around here. On LI even the elementary schools in the hood are pretty good. If you're choosing between PW and Manhasset, I'd just go with the best possible house/block.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,856 times
As S.I.B already said - I would concentrate more on whatever area is better/what you like more.

Both are very nice areas with great school districts. If you are going to worry about schools, it should be the High schools.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:20 PM

That's great to hear. We really like both areas. I suppose my main concern was if we settle down in an area, our kids will make friends and it would be hard to change school districts later when then go to high school.

Which high school is better?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 AM

239 posts, read 509,244 times
Manhasset High School is higher ranking than Schreiber High School, but that doesn't mean Schreiber is significantly inferior. Manhasset only scores higher by a few points. If I were you, I'd go for Port Washington. You're money will go further there, and I think the fact that it's more diverse is major plus for Port Washington. I am from Garden City which is similar demographically to Manhasset, and my parents as well as many other people became very unhappy over the years with the lack of economic diversity. Having too much of a "keeping up with the Joneses" attitude in school is a real negative drawback, despite how highly ranked the school is. Do you really want to send your children to a high school where the students drive more expensive cars than the teachers?

Sure Port Washington has its share of "keeping up with the Joneses", but it's far less than Manhasset. My aunt sent my cousins to Port Washington Schools and had nothing but good things to say about it. Both my cousins were challenged and did well at Schreiber High School. They ended up going to top colleges.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 AM

166 posts, read 532,945 times
I live in Port Washington for the past 2+ years. Moved here for all the reasons most would move here. Good balance of schools and homes that look and feel like a home. In other words, I was priced out of Manhasset at the time.

I am already thinking of the upgrade since my family is fast expanding. My wife is trying to convince me that we should move out to Great Neck or Manhasset since we are no longer priced out for what we want. I ask her why spend more on the same house we can get in the PW school district? She tells me the schools are better. I tell her to prove it to me that they are significantly better. So there is a bit of back and forth on this topic about schools. I like it here in PW and think the schools between the three areas are comparable. (Although, I would admit purely in rankings, it would be Great Neck, Manhasset, then Port Washington.)

So I guess the general message to the OP is that to pick the location that you honestly in your heart desire more. I believe my wife just thinks that Manhasset is just better. It's black and white for her. I look at things in a holistic manner. If I don't see significant improvement (school or house), then I don't see it as better.

So I say the elementary schools are all about the same. Some are slightly better. My wife would say Manhasset is better.

If you fancy test scores then here they are. You will notice that Manhasset elementary schools (only 2) fair better then Port Washington schools (5 schools). Sousa Elementary scored similar to the Manhasset elementary schools. In the grand scheme of things, the scores are a wash up since they eventually funnel into middle and high school. In my opinion, the scores are only useful if you think your kid needs to be surrounded by kids who are good in math or are good test takers (like the specialized magnet schools in NYC.) Port Washington totally blew it out of the water with Math. Other then that, I am not sure what the difference is between one suburb public school verses another. It's public school. I really don't know how I can expect a truly privileged preparatory private school experience at public school prices.

New York State Test Scores - The New York Times

Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 AM

214 posts, read 459,221 times
Looking at test scores...not fair.

As it was stated before, PW is diverse. Here is an example: A brand new family moves to the country and settles down in PW b/c parents are doctors and it's a great location...well their children sit for the state tests even if they are barely fluent. The child's test score is now factored in, lowering the overall value as determined by NYS Dept of EDu. This is the same kid who by MS/HS is performing at the top of her/his peer group. This is what makes Port Washington school great on so many levels.

Last edited by 123abc123; 01-08-2012 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: Gender inclusion

Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 AM

123abc123:

I didn't get your reasoning, but interesting - can you explain it to me again?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:29 AM

Jshlee - I envision myself having a similar conversation with my wife years from now...!

I've seen the data on test scores. I guess I was more trying to gauge the other factors, such as - are the kids inspired? Is there really progressive curriculum at either schools? What kind of colleges are the kids choosing?

Are they getting accepted at the top colleges?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island