Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,412,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
I think it depends on the town what is allowed and what is not...but again, people do it all over without the proper permits.

Which I am not endorsing either
I'm aware it's done all the time. But, of course, that doesn't necessarily make it legal or safe. The OP said he/she wants to do the job properly and properly means no bedroom or kitchen in the basement, regardless of whether it's finished or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
No, no, no...

You'll find the words 'expense' and 'headache' take on new meaning when you try to backtrack years down the road.
What backtrack? I know you had a hellish experience with this but:

If I finish my basement (if I had one), and decide to sell x# of years down the line, and I tear out everything I did, back to the original unfinished state, what is there to worry about?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
^ you may say "just rip up the basement" but it's probably something you're gonna pass on when it comes time to sell to someone. Waste of money and less money taken in too.

Hmm, what makes a finished basement? Would I take a sledgehammer to the nicely sheetrocked ceilings, hi-hats, and smash the tile floors? Fat chance. You're better off getting the CO only at sell-time and attract more prospective buyers because of the basement.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post

If I finish my basement (if I had one), and decide to sell x# of years down the line, and I tear out everything I did, back to the original unfinished state, what is there to worry about?
Nice to have money...

waste much?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 PM
GPC

Quote:

Tearing out everything doesn't sound like a walk in the park either. That process is sure to involve a good amount of work and a mess (and probably some amount of money too). If you're going to go that route, be sure you do it before showing your house. Needless to say, buyers won't be thrilled about seeing a finished basement become 'unfinished'. Oh, and if it winds up taking a long time to sell, be sure you don't mind living in an unfinished basement again.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Hmm, what makes a finished basement?
Good question. I know someone who pulled down the sheetrock and left it like that, he said it wasn't finished, he just insulated it for energy conservation. At that point it was no longer "finished".

Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Nice to have money...

waste much?
$3000 for some sheetrock & 2x4s & 20 years of enjoyable use or the same expense + whatever the permits/plans/inspections/taxes cost.

Waste is the money you give the town, the material is invested in enjoyable use.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:34 PM
GPC

Quote:
$3000 for some sheetrock & 2x4s & 20 years of enjoyable use or the same expense + whatever the permits/plans/inspections/taxes cost.

Waste is the money you give the town, the material is invested in enjoyable use.
Keep in mind that a house with a nice, finished basement would probably sell faster than one without. That's worth something too - especially if, when the time comes, you're in a hurry to sell.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Keep in mind that a house with a nice, finished basement would probably sell faster than one without. That's worth something too - especially if, when the time comes, you're in a hurry to sell.
Agreed, just saying what if.

Must be by locality though. When my brother sold his house in Staten Island in August, the newly finished basement with bath never came up. What triggers these headaches?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:51 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
The window is a must, but no sleeping or cooking? come on. There are basement apartments in nearly every damn house. Please.
And none of them are legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island