Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
If you have a blue collar attitude I would not suggest Garden City at all! I grew up there and it's mostly an upscale WASP culture. Sorry to say but anybody with a blue collar mentality in Garden City would not fit.

I wouldn't say Massapequa is blue collar either. Some areas of Massapequa can be very expensive.

Wantagh and Seaford I don't know enough about.

Franklin Square is probably the most blue collar, but the houses and streets in Port Washington are way nicer than Franklin Square IMO. I would say Port Washington School District is better than Franklin Square also.

Remember the OP said she wanted to stay close to Queens. Wantagh, Seaford, and Massapequa is probably out of her location range. And just because Port Washington is on the North Shore doesn't mean it's the same as its neighboring towns. In fact, Port Washington and Glen Cove are probably the only towns on the North Shore that are economically diverse.

Franklin Square, Wantagh, and Seaford are probably more blue collar than Port Washington. Massapequa is stretching it, but most definitely not Garden City.
I was just giving him options of towns that arent all the way up in guamville.

I even mentioned in my post that the pequas, Wantagh, and Seaford were probably out of range, but I threw it in anyway.

I call a little bit of BS on the whole "the houses and streets are WAY nicer" thing. But to each his own...I also was not aware that Franklin Square was not close to Queens. It is the same distance if not closer then Port Washington. Thank you for all of your brilliant information and I am Sorry you did not approve of my post. ~_~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 11:45 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Port Washington in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County

tcost1082, in case you were not aware,Port Washington is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address (6,652 acres) are not in the community (2,732 acres).

A map of the Hamlet of Port Washington in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:

Places that have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Port Washington are in the Village of Sands Point, the Village of Port Washington North, the Village of Manorhaven, the Village of Baxter Estates and the Village of Flower Hill.

In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 AM

56 posts, read 133,905 times
Is anyone familiar with the Beacon Hill area? It is walking distance to LIRR....

Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
A fiancé is a man to whom a person is engaged to be married; a fiancée is a woman to whom a person is engaged to be married.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Didnt even know there was a difference - thanks Walter

Old 01-05-2012, 12:02 PM

Thanks Walter

Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Can someone please give me an opinion on the Beacon Hill section? Trying to come to some sort of conclusion over the next few days - thank you all once again!!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:28 PM

155 posts, read 457,982 times
I live in Port but not exactly the Beacon Hill area but I do have friends there. Beacon hill is a prime area and Port Washington in general is a great town. I originated from the Bronx and get along with everyone hence the place is not snooty and the people are very nice.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM

Great - thank you - good to know

Old 01-06-2012, 09:20 AM

344 posts, read 717,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcost1082 View Post
Can someone please give me an opinion on the Beacon Hill section? Trying to come to some sort of conclusion over the next few days - thank you all once again!!
I live just south of there, in the Park section. Seems fine to me. I think Beacon Hill might be a little pricier/less blue collar. The yards are bigger. Honestly, the town to me seems so diverse professionally, that you really can't go wrong. It is completely different from Great Neck and Manhasset, where everyone seems to be white collar professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island