Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Wow, right to the name calling huh?

I understand the dangers of asbestos, also know about how the strand fibers can latch on to your lungs, but I also know that there are different OSHA classifications for asbestos work, and not one classification has a limit of one particle.

Can you cite a source that isn't from Levy, Phillips & Konigsberg?
pot calling kettle black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:21 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypp View Post
I also believe one smoke of second hand smoke can cause cancer.

that maybe possible but with asbestos, the particles stay in your lungs FOREVER and never leave your body once embedded in your lungs thus causing cancer.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:59 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
that maybe possible but with asbestos, the particles stay in your lungs FOREVER and never leave your body once embedded in your lungs thus causing cancer.
Exposure to asbestos doesn't always cause cancer -- that's the catch 22.

>Mesothelioma's Cause - Asbestos Exposure

Quote:
At some point in our lives, nearly all of us have been exposed to asbestos in the air we breathe and the water we drink; from natural deposits in the earth, and from the deterioration of asbestos products around us. Most of us, however, do not become ill as a result of our exposure. More commonly, those who at some point are diagnosed with asbestos disease, have worked in jobs where more substantial exposure occurred over longer periods of time. Nevertheless, cases of mesothelioma have been documented as the result of lesser exposure, affecting family members of workers who came into contact with asbestos and brought it home on their clothing, skin or hair, or affecting those who lived in close proximity to asbestos manufacturing facilities.
A family member died of asbestosis 40 years after possibly being exposed working on a wrapped boiler.

A friend's mother has mesothelioma -- she never worked around asbestos -- but it is believe that the father brought it home on his clothing, which she would wash. Growing up, the friends would often be in the same car dad drove, wear clothing which was in the same laundry, breathed the same air in the home. Mercifully, they are all asymptomatic.

One thing I do take is asbestos seriously, but I refuse to stand by and read false assertions which feed fear.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,269 times
IF you were told that the property had asbestos, you are out of bet to get any $$, however if you report the practice, the contractor MAY get fined (you need to testify as a witness or the home owner which in that case the homeowner will also be fined).

Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
Good Day,

I am a construction worker who works for various companies. Most houses on long island are over 50 years old, and of course, contain Asbestos.

When they do demo, we just rip the house apart, with Asbestos flying everywhere. The neighbors house, in our mouths and noses,ect,ect

The point is, these companies are getting rich, and at the same time sending men to their death. Including me.

Could I sue, or possibly blow the whistle on the demolition practices of here on long island?

Any defendent's attorney that you would choose to sue would present the fact that you are responsible because you "knew" or "should have known" that the homes contained abestos because of the age of the home and your knowledge and experience in construction, you "should have" used the safety gear required to protect yourself.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Just fall off the ladder and collect a tidy sum. When they fight the claim, threaten to blow the whistle on the asbestos practices. That's the new American way to wealth and prosperity! Dewey, Cheatem and Howe will be glad to help see it through for a nominal 33% cut.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 PM

874 posts, read 728,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Any defendent's attorney that you would choose to sue would present the fact that you are responsible because you "knew" or "should have known" that the homes contained abestos because of the age of the home and your knowledge and experience in construction, you "should have" used the safety gear required to protect yourself.

I am not a 1 man asbestos abatement person.

But what about the neighbors? They are being exposed to asbestos also, should they be required to protect themselves?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:02 PM

239 posts, read 509,244 times
Don't sue. You really can't sue unless you have a case (e.g. someone got mesothelioma from their practice).

Contact the NYSDOH, Bureau of Occupational Health.

Ignorant for a construction company to be doing this, chemicals and cancer has no boundaries. There own workers can get sick from this as well.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
quote The point is, these companies are getting rich, and at the same time sending men to their death. Including me.

Could I sue, or possibly blow the whistle on the demolition practices of here on long island?

did you get sick? you are covered under workmans comp insurance so? I would report the companys you worked for to the proper athoritys.There are scores of law firms on TV and other media that are looking for business.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,878 times
Call the offices of Goldstein, Stern, Leibowitz, Bloomberg, Cohen, Levin, and Schwartz - they'll even come to you if you can't make it to their offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island