Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 09:08 PM

13 posts, read 19,831 times

Advertisements

Hope everyone had a great Holiday season. Husband and wife from Glen Head who have two small children and recently had our block cess pool (no overflow) replaced this past October. Our house is reaching 100 years soon and DC crain who installed said they saw no evidence of a prior cesspool when they were installing - so Im believing the block cesspool they collapsed and replaced was the original. We are both from Queens prior to our move to Glen Head about seven years ago - so I am hoping you can understand our limited knowledge of cesspools. Anyway, we had our old block cess pool collapsed and filled and added two precast rings as our main cesspool along with three precast rings as an overflow. My question is this: How long should I expect this system to last? How how long until I should begin thinking about getting it serviced? Should I add yeast every now and then? Any honest and sincere advice would be greatly appreciated? Again, we just installed five precast rings (two as the main pit and three as an overflow - good sand). I just want to cover all my bases? Thank you again. Hope everyone who reads and respons has a wonderful year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 PM
sci

90 posts, read 223,421 times
Default cesspools

What did DC Crane say when they installed it? Usally the life of the cesspool is dependant on many things. Some of the things are what you put down the drain as well as the make up of the soil the pools are in. I know that some types of laundry soaps cake up in the cesspool. You should not use a disposal unit in the kitchen sink as sending too much stuff do he drain could tax the bacteria in the septic stytem.
I have used DC Crane before and they always do a good job and are very knowledgeable and good at what they do. I am sure you got a good job from them.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:40 PM

13 posts, read 19,831 times
I'm glad that I used DC crane as I asked three life long Glen Headers who I should use. They all said DC crane and I went with them even though they were beat out by another company as far as price. Im not a fool and I will trust people who I believe know what they are talking about. You are right! DC did an incredible job - especially with the space they had to work within. They come highly recommended by me - family run business and the father is a legend from what I've researched and heard about from people in the know.

Our laundry goes to a dry well - it does NOT go into our cesspool. We do NOT have a garbage disposal. Im teaching my children to conserve water. I keep my showers to a minimum of minutes (my wife on the other hand is different). We do not and would never be irresponsible with throwing things such as baby wipes or paper towels or other non degradable things down the toilet or sink. See the thing is DC crane said we would be alright for a long time - get it serviced in 15 years ( I should have asked for more specifics - but I didn't Oh well. My neighbor says you wont have to worry about it for a long time. Another company after we had an estimate said you wont have to worry about it for 30 years. It's confusing. Thanks for your response SCI - GREATLY APPRECIATE IT! Have a great year. By the way - I was told and believe from what I saw during the excavation we have good sand - for whatever that matters. Be well!

Last edited by campy55; 01-06-2012 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island