Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 AM

45 posts, read 267,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
I guess what youre saying is what are the 10 most snob towns on the island.

IMHO Shoreham is way worse than Miller Place and Mt Sinai
C

Point taken.

The worst part of living in an "undesireable" or "worst" town is not the place. It's the perceptions of the people outside the town who try to keep it down so they can sleep well at night and feel better about themselves. Of ocurse, most of those folks live in the "exclusive" towns.

There is plenty of affordable housing on Long Island, problem is most people don't want to live in "those" places.

See, I like that my town has a "bad" reputation. It keeps the upscale types away!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:39 AM

240 posts, read 1,056,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a private person View Post
1) Dix Hills
2) Commack
3) Smithtown
4) Hamptons (All)
5) BelleTaire
6) Miller Place
7) Mount Sinai
8) Cold SPring Harbor
9) Muttontown
10) Syossett

All are filled with upscale types who think they are better then everyone else.

The schools are all like a bad episode of "My Super Sweet 16" of MTV fame.

Danger in these places like you can't imagine.
Miller Place, Mount Sinai, Smithtown, and Commack are really the four that are not like the others on that list. It's not like they have untouchable real estate, there's many home for under $400k. In this way they really have no right to be snobby being that many people could easily afford to live there. The other towns, maybe excluding Syosset, you really need to be a millionaire, or close to it, to buy a home in those communities.

Last edited by rockypointny; 10-01-2007 at 11:56 AM..

Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,732 times
Quote:
Point taken.

The worst part of living in an "undesireable" or "worst" town is not the place. It's the perceptions of the people outside the town who try to keep it down so they can sleep well at night and feel better about themselves. Of ocurse, most of those folks live in the "exclusive" towns.

There is plenty of affordable housing on Long Island, problem is most people don't want to live in "those" places.

See, I like that my town has a "bad" reputation. It keeps the upscale types away!

I believe that snobbiness is really a huge chain, Belle Terre is going to look down on Shoreham or Mount Sinai, they will look down on towns like Rocky Point, Rocky Point will look down on Coram/Middle Island, Coram will look down on Mastic/Shirley etc. People will always develop oppinions on communtiies they believe are lower than theirs on the Long Island Food chain. However they may be ignorant to the fact that there are many people with a higher incomes or at least a higher disposable incomes, that are living their lives rather than struggling to pay off an astronomical mortgage.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:41 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
I don;t know any town on Long Island that will meet all of these criteria.

Clarify:

a) safe - Menaing what?
b) desirable - Menaing what?
c) great schools - Menaing what?
d) good property values - What is a good propoerty value these days?
e) well kept homes - SPecify?
f) low to no rentals/illegal rentals - Why is this a problem for you?
There are MANY towns on LI that meet this criteria. There are so many I cannot even list them all.

a) Not a lot of thefts or break ins
b) Supply and demand - supply is less than demand so there is always someone who really wants to live in your location and buy your home, which in turn makes d) good property values
c) great schools are schools that are not plagued with:
children who act out, come from broken homes, have families who do not value education,
high numbers of ESL, etc. low test scores, high free lunch population, etc
d) Good property value means -someone always wants to buy in your neighborhood, and you will make back at least what you spent and more, if you bought within the last 5 yrs. Not LOSE money.
e) Lawns maintained, houses beautified, pride taken in the home

And the last one...
f) illegal rentals. If you even have to ask WHY this is a problem...it is probably pointless for me to explain but I will anyway.

Renters are just that, they rent SOMEONE else's property. They can pick up and leave anyday. They have nothing invested in a town. They will not pick up garbage thrown on the street in front of the house. They will likely not bring in flyers delivered to a house, which in turn accumlate and affect the appearence of a home. They may not treat the home they rent with respect or the neighbors with respect, since they are likely moving out and need to invest NOTHING in the town. They don't need to be on good terms with neighboring houses, b/c they have nothing to lose if they can just up and leave. Or the rentals could be ones with absenttee landlords, which mean things can get out of hand (noise, litter, garbage, illegal rentals with too many occupants, etc). I have even seen many renters not clean up after the dog they walk that the homeowner doesn't even "know" they have there or didn't even permit them to have b/c they just could care less about the right thing or neighbors, since they know no one on a personal basis to be held accountable for any of these actions.

Now of course there are some renters who do not fit this description, but many or most do...And of course homeowners can do all the same things, but the difference is, they pay taxes, work hard, don't want to have a crappy property value so they are MORE likely to treat their home and their neighbors with a bit of respect and care. You have a way better shot of that happening than a renter doing all those things.

So would you be ok with a house next to you, with garbage strewn about, noise at all hours, worse case senario maybe even 15 people in the house living next to you?

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 10-01-2007 at 02:53 PM..

Old 10-01-2007, 03:41 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
believe that snobbiness is really a huge chain, Belle Terre is going to look down on Shoreham or Mount Sinai, they will look down on towns like Rocky Point, Rocky Point will look down on Coram/Middle Island, Coram will look down on Mastic/Shirley etc. People will always develop oppinions on communtiies they believe are lower than theirs on the Long Island Food chain. However they may be ignorant to the fact that there are many people with a higher incomes or at least a higher disposable incomes, that are living their lives rather than struggling to pay off an astronomical mortgage.

That is an excellent point, rocky (are you sure that you aren't the alter ego of clammy?) People always need someone to feel superior to.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:23 PM

Default to be sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
There are MANY towns on LI that meet this criteria. There are so many I cannot even list them all.

a) Not a lot of thefts or break ins
b) Supply and demand - supply is less than demand so there is always someone who really wants to live in your location and buy your home, which in turn makes d) good property values
c) great schools are schools that are not plagued with:
children who act out, come from broken homes, have families who do not value education,
high numbers of ESL, etc. low test scores, high free lunch population, etc
d) Good property value means -someone always wants to buy in your neighborhood, and you will make back at least what you spent and more, if you bought within the last 5 yrs. Not LOSE money.
e) Lawns maintained, houses beautified, pride taken in the home

And the last one...
f) illegal rentals. If you even have to ask WHY this is a problem...it is probably pointless for me to explain but I will anyway.

Renters are just that, they rent SOMEONE else's property. They can pick up and leave anyday. They have nothing invested in a town. They will not pick up garbage thrown on the street in front of the house. They will likely not bring in flyers delivered to a house, which in turn accumlate and affect the appearence of a home. They may not treat the home they rent with respect or the neighbors with respect, since they are likely moving out and need to invest NOTHING in the town. They don't need to be on good terms with neighboring houses, b/c they have nothing to lose if they can just up and leave. Or the rentals could be ones with absenttee landlords, which mean things can get out of hand (noise, litter, garbage, illegal rentals with too many occupants, etc). I have even seen many renters not clean up after the dog they walk that the homeowner doesn't even "know" they have there or didn't even permit them to have b/c they just could care less about the right thing or neighbors, since they know no one on a personal basis to be held accountable for any of these actions.

Now of course there are some renters who do not fit this description, but many or most do...And of course homeowners can do all the same things, but the difference is, they pay taxes, work hard, don't want to have a crappy property value so they are MORE likely to treat their home and their neighbors with a bit of respect and care. You have a way better shot of that happening than a renter doing all those things.

So would you be ok with a house next to you, with garbage strewn about, noise at all hours, worse case senario maybe even 15 people in the house living next to you?
Alas, I live in a town looked down upon by many. Yet I would say that it might meet most or all of your criteria.

a) Been here for 16 years. Biggest problem has been occasional teenager antics, noise and such. But so far nothing serious to complain about.

b) There is much supply and demand. My house has gone up in value every year since we arrived and has been stagnent in price only during this last year. But this is a Long Island problem not isolated to my town.

c) My children have attend these schools their entire life. As they have been in the honors program they have been pampered by the school district. The district test numbers look bad, so the district tries very hard to retain excellent students that raise their scores.

My children are the minorities in a majority minority district. This gives them an advantage over students in more homogenous schools. They have already learned how to interact with people from many different cultures. This will provide them a competitive advantage in the working world.

My elder child will graduate this year in the top 1% of the class. His SAT scores will gain entry into any state college in NY and are so far, good enough for Cornell and Dartmouth.

Plus as most of the students in this district will move directly into the workforce after graduation there are fewer people fighting to be the valedictorian. Thus they can focus on learning and not competing. This is in direct contrast to your "upscale" districts.

d) As the houses in this town are lower priced relative to Long Island there is a strong demand. For the forseeable future, house prices will stagnate or drop across all of Long Island. Where they don't, houses will simply fail to move. But until recently almost every town on Long Island returned a profit on sale within 3 to 5 years with very few exceptions.

e) There are exceptions to any rule, however; the large majority of homes are maintained and are a benefit to the neighborhood.

f) Illegal rentals are in almost every town on Long Island. The problem isn't so much the renter as the landlord. If the landlord allows trash in, the neighborhood has trash. So far my town has not had significant problems with "Illegal Renters"

Frankly, the biggest problem my town has is that it is filled with minorities and the majority in our country doesn't want to live with "those" people. Having been in the minority living among minorities I understand this fully.

Mostly, the people outside of a community hurt it more with their perceptions than do the actions of it's residents.

The bad town I live in has mostly been rebuilt over the last 15 years. There is lots of new business and more than a few very large employers. Yet despite all of this positive change the town has consistenly failed to attract the throngs of people seeking the affordable housing which is here to be found.

True we have our problems here, but, many would be solved if people moved based on their thinking and not their fears.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:56 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Let me guess, Central Islip?????

Old 10-01-2007, 09:57 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
believe that snobbiness is really a huge chain, Belle Terre is going to look down on Shoreham or Mount Sinai, they will look down on towns like Rocky Point, Rocky Point will look down on Coram/Middle Island, Coram will look down on Mastic/Shirley etc. People will always develop oppinions on communtiies they believe are lower than theirs on the Long Island Food chain. However they may be ignorant to the fact that there are many people with a higher incomes or at least a higher disposable incomes, that are living their lives rather than struggling to pay off an astronomical mortgage.

That is an excellent point, rocky (are you sure that you aren't the alter ego of clammy?) People always need someone to feel superior to.
It really aint me ...Im proud of him though.

C

Old 10-01-2007, 10:03 PM

55 posts, read 220,742 times
Not too many ppl know this, but South Hampton is trying to settle a Lawsuit on toxic waste that was dumped there years ago.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:37 AM

Default It just doesn't matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Let me guess, Central Islip?????
Does it really matter the specific name of the town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island